Allianz Life

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.2

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Allianz Life.

Received an email about a week after I sent in my resume stating that they would like me to do an assessment, which was basically a call simulation and personality questions. A couple days after that I received a phone wanting to set up a phone interview. During the phone interview, I spoke with a recruiter who asked the usual cookie cutter questions. After the interview I was told that he was going to recommend me moving on to a face to face interview, and would be getting a call a day or two later to set it up. After talking with yet another recruiter, I got the next interview lined up for the following week.

Finally, came the day for the actual face to face interview. They sent an associate to meet me and bring me up stairs where I would be listening in with another agent for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes I was brought into a small conference room where I would interview with 2 more people. During the interview they asked the exact same cookie cutter questions that the recruiter asked me during the phone interview. When this interview was done I had to take yet another assessment, only this time it was for math and comprehension. The biggest problem with this is that I was told that I could not use a calculator or even scratch paper, which made our tough because most of the math questions were basic algebra and figuring different percentages. After waiting for a week I finally heard from someone who said that they would not be making an offer to me. I personally feel that this was in large part to the assessment and wonder why they will not allow even scratch paper.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Allianz Life in November 2014.

I was interviewed over the phone by an FSA. He asked me fairly standard questions: tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here. The interviewer was very friendly. The interview was about a half hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Describe something complex to the interviewer so he/she can understand it.   Answer Question
    • Describe one of our products and how we might continue to profit from it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Allianz Life.

Talked with a senior actuary on the career fair, applied online. After one week, I got a phone call from HR saying that I was invited for the campus interview. Scheduled an interview time with HR and received a confirmation email the following day. Had a 30-minute interview with two actuaries. I was asked several behavioral questions and a few technical questions. After one week, the HR called me and offered the internship offer.

No negotiation.

Actuarial Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Allianz Life in October 2014.

I applied through university career website and had an on campus interview. Interview questions included to talk about myself, why actuary, familiarity of their company's products, and talked about excel functions. No unexpected questions. But the interview ended in 15 mins. They called a week later saying that there was no offer.

Actuarial Interview

I applied through college, heard back in one week said they want to have an on campus interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and it was conducted by an actuarial analyst from Allianz.

Interview Questions
    • Describe either annuity or life insurance.
      What are the challenges in designing an annuity.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Allianz Life in October 2014.

Talked to them during a career fair and had a 30 minute interview on campus a week later. Super nice and seemed really interested in what I had to say. I think my interest in finance and computer science experience got me the job. Asked for specific examples of projects done in school and was heavily questioned on everything on resume.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a topic from microeconomics in detail.
      What specific projects have you done with VBA?

Answer Question
    The more exams you have passed, the more they pay you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Allianz Life in November 2013.

Allianz Life was a pleasure to work with and their recruiting process was pretty straight forward.

I applied for the position through my college's career services and meet with representatives at our school's Actuarial Career Fair.

First interview was a phone interview with a HR representative and was generally a behavioral interview.

The second interview was another phone interview, but it was two 30 minute interviews with some of their senior actuaries. This interview was part behavioral and part technical. Most of the questions in this interview were regarding things listed in my resume. Heavy focus on what I did during my actuarial internships with a different life insurance company.

The third and final interview was a full day interview. I was flown out to their office in Minneapolis. This was a pretty grueling day because they set up eight 30 minute interviews. The people who interviewed me were a combination of people who would of been my peers, individuals who would of been my direct managers, and finally an interview with the director of the group. One interview with a direct manager was particularly difficult because he covered this face with a sheet of paper after asking every question, making it difficult to gauge his reactions to my responses.

After the third interview I was informed I received the offer approximately a week and half later. The offer had a two week deadline to respond too.

In my job hunt process, Allianz had the best HR representative which made the whole process very smooth and simple.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions: Included answering questions about how specific things in Excel work (such as what do pivot tables work, how to use VBA macros, etc). Similarly there were technical questions about my understanding of how Universal Life Insurance and Variable Life Annuities (their main products). Finally since I was interviewing for a role within in their more Modeling and Systems group, I was asked some specifics about my knowledge of SQL, JAVA, and C++.

Behavior Questions: Can you provide context to why your GPA is what it is (I had a 3.0 while I believe most of their candidates tend to be in the 3.5 range)? Can you talk about a time when you have failed? Standard behavioral questions for the most part.

Hardest Questions: Some of the technical questions were pretty difficult, but my intern experience allowed me to answer them. I think I would of been stuck if I did not have the intern experience, because it was things we weren't taught in school ( I am an actuarial science major).

The one question I froze on was ironically: What makes Life Insurance profitable?
      I was confused whether they wanted a technical answer like explaining how to price life insurance or if they were looking for something else.

The interview with the director of the group was probably the most interesting. He only asked one question and it was pretty blunt(and pretty creative if you ask me). He asked more or less "What makes you different from all the other Actuarial candidates we see and why should I give you a shot at this job?"

View Answer

Allianz Life gave me an awesome offer full with a fair market value salary and generous benefit package. I turned down the opportunity because I was able to find a similar position in a consulting firm, and just had more desire to work in consulting.

Actuarial Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allianz Life.

The interviewee was very serious and never lightened up during the interview. He asked really tough questions and kept probing even though it was pretty impossible (for a fresh grad) to answer since it was so technical.

Actuarial Internship Interview

Three phone interviews, one with recruiter and two with senior actuaries. Overall great experience. Many technical questions related to Excel, programming and the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me some interesting economic concepts you learnt from class.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allianz Life in December 2012.

The behavioral interview started with all the basic stuff: tell us about yourself, whether you have conflict with your teammates and how do you resolve it; what do you do when you feel overwhelmed, etc. Particularly, they ask why you choose life insurance over casualty insurance. Be sure to prepare for that and give some impressive answers. Also prepare questions for them. Final remark: interviewers were one HR and one senior actuary.

Interview Questions
    • I am not fully prepared for why life/pension over casualty which is probably the major reason why I was turned down (could also be because of my visa type...). I think they expect to hear your clear determination and devotion into life insurance as an actuary.   Answer Question