Allianz

Relevance Date Difficulty

Risk Analyst Interview

Risk Analyst
Thiruvananthapuram (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Allianz in September 2012.

Interview Details – Application : I applied for this position after receiving an email from their HR detailing the job description. The role was in Trivandrum, India with on-site opportunity in Germany for a couple of years.

Round 1: A week passes. I get a call from them fixing a preliminary telephonic interview appointment at 3PM on a particular day. No call at 3PM - I wait till 3:30 and call them up myself asking if the interview is on. I get a call back at 3:45 asking if it's a good time to go ahead with the round. The questions were pretty basic. They ask my salary expectation and I quote "X" and clearly tell them I will not move below X.

Round 2: Another week passes by. I get a phone call from them saying I've been shortlisted and they schedule another round of telephonic interview at 5PM that day. At 5:15, I get a call back saying the interview has been rescheduled to the next day and I should expect a call anytime from 8:30 AM onward. No one calls that day (surprise surprise!) - and no mention of cancellation either. They finally called me after a few days for another round of preliminary screening (this was almost a repetition of the questions asked in the first round - but by a different person).

Round 3: A week passes by again, they get back to me saying I've been shortlisted and a 1:1 interview is scheduled in Trivandrum. This part was well planned out. There were two technical rounds with people from Germany and this was the best part of the whole exercise. The questions were quite challenging and the process went very smooth. This actually gave me hope to proceed further.

Round 4: Got shortlisted a couple of days later. Another HR round was scheduled between 12 and 12:15 PM on a particular day - they call me at 12:50 (surprise surprise!). The questions were again repeated from the two preliminary rounds. They ask my salary expectations again - I say I will not move below 'X".

Round 5: Another round was scheduled a week later with the same HR from round 2 between 5 and 6PM on a particular day. I get a call exactly at 6:05. They say 'Y' which is substantially below X. I said they can offer what they want - but it will not make sense for me to move below 'X". Another round of bargaining. I clearly mention I'll not be interested at the pay they are offering me.

Round 6: Another HR round - but with a senior HR that lasted for 45 minutes who tried to do his share of convincing me why the move is good. Fair play this time though - this went smooth. There were a few statements like "I'm the senior manager here and generally I don't talk with people who are being recruited but I'm making an exception in your case" - yeah sure.

Final: I get the offer, which is well above 'Y" but below 'X - I reject. Made up my mind after round 4 that I'd be rejecting this irrespective of what they offer.

Positives:
1) The work would have been pretty good, especially while in Germany.
2) Good technical interview round.

Negatives:
1) I would have to work under these people in India - that would have been equivalent to a career suicide (oh did I mention that this role involved ~ a 4 year bond?).
2) Inconsistent HR policies. I was in touch with a few other candidates throughout the entire process and each of us had been told one thing about their 'policies'. This would apply probably only to their Indian off-shore unit. I'm sure their head-office is pretty good. This Indian off-shore unit should stick to hiring call center employees.
3) Extremely bad time management for a German company.
4) If they thought my expectations was too high for my experience, why waste time with the other rounds?

Interview Question – Concepts in duration and convexity.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Allianz

Worked for Allianz? Contribute to the Community!