Allstate

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Northbrook, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Allstate in January 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application in late October, and heard back from Allstate in early December. There was first a phone interview in December, after which some candidates were eliminated. There was then an on-site interview in January, where I had interviews with two Fellows. The questions in both the phone and on-site intervews were primarily quantitative and analytical, focusing on crititcal thinking skills. I heard back 2 weeks later, upon which I received an offer.

Interview Question – Chicago is looking to host the 2024 Olympics. Mayor Emmanuel wants to know if it would be economically a good idea to do so. What kind of factors would you take into consideration when making your recommendation?   Answer Question

Northbrook, IL

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Allstate in November 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Interviewed with two different actuaries on campus, both interviews were about 30 mins
2. Interviewed with 3 actuaries at the home office and had lunch with the other candidates and 2 different actuaries
 - The home office interview was comprised of typical behavioral questions and also some brain teaser word problems
- The interviews were 45 mins long including the brain teaser portion.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser questions such as:
    You are given three baskets of fruit labeled apples, oranges, and one with both. All of the labels are wrong. You are to pick one fruit from one of the baskets and then label them correctly.
      View Answers (3)
  • General behavioral questions such as:
    Name a time you made an incorrect decision, what was the result and how did you deal with it?
      Answer Question

Northbrook, IL

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Allstate in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had met with an HR person at a career fair. I submit my resume through an email. There were 5 or 6 of us being interviewed on the day they were at campus. There was initially one interview, and then if they like me, they would set up a time later.

As far as the interview was concerned: The wait wasn't too bad. We talked about my experiences of teamwork, how I handled people who I disagreed with at other jobs, and how I decided I wanted to be an Actuary. The interviewer was polite. The only thing that was a little different was the test I was given. I was given a problem and asked to work through it out loud. It was a brain teaser. They wanted to see how I think. It was actually very interesting, and that was the first time I had an interview of that kind.

Overall it was a decent interview. Just know yourself and what you want out of the internship when you interview.

Interview Question – You have a balance scale. You are given 9 balls. Eight of those balls all weigh the same and one wieghs more. You can use the balance scale only twice. Find the ball that wieghs more.   View Answer

Actuary Intern Interview

Actuary Intern
Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Allstate in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very basic: why are you qualified, are you willing to relocate, etc. But then they ask a problem solving question which you must answer and say everything you think aloud.

Interview Question – Please explain the actuary qualifications and how you are capable of filling them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not interested in being an actuary

Interviewed at Allstate

Interview Details – Went through campus recruiting, received a phone interview and site interview.

Interview Question – Describe a challenge that you faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Allstate in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of 2 half hour interviews with 2 actuaries each. They both started the interview with the 'tell me about yourself' question and then proceeded to ask a few more questions about yourself and analytical questions. After questioning, the interviewers each gave a background of themselves and talked about what they did for the company.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!