Allstate

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allstate in June 2014.

Per the interviewer, Allstate is currently expanding its big data group, hoping to double its size by hiring another 20 data scientists this year. They are hiring all levels of data scientists.

The interviewer was friendly and professional, and asked about experience with various big data platforms and software. He indicated they are particularly interested in people with experience with Python and Hadoop.

Interview Questions
  • None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected; the interview was straightforward and did not contain a technical component (except for asking about experience in various statistical languages/programs). The most difficult question for me, however, was what experience I have had in business/industry, since I have none. (All my experience is an academia.) Based on the interviewer's tone and subsequent questions, I believe that answer took me out of contention for the job.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Allstate

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Allstate in February 2014.

1 phone interview with hr
    1 technical phone interview with current associate data scientist. Review of resume, analytical coding questions, modeling questions.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Allstate.

Three basic steps to the process, I was referred by a friend to the job opening. First you talk to HR and they gauge your general fit to the position. While I did not have experience, my technical background fit the job requirements well so I passed. Second was a phone interview of a predictive modeling case study as well as some simple analytical questions. If you pass that portion of the interview, they will fly you into the office for an in person interview.

The in person interview lasts for a good part of the day (8:00am - 2:00pm). It will be split into a few 1 hour sessions as well as a few 30 minute sessions which involve giving a presentation, coding, modeling case study, as well as basic behavioral questions. Typically a decision will be made on the day of the interview by end of day, but it can take a few days for the results to get back to you.

Interview Questions
    • Recall a time where you had a problem with a colleague, how did you resolve the conflict?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation, it was for an entry level position. I was offered something slightly higher.