Allstate

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.8

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Allstate.

Starts out with a pre-screen phone call to get to know you more and go over a resume. Then there are a series of phone interviews, basic questions asking you to describe situations. Interviewers very nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
  • Why I chose All-State if it is in the suburbs and sells insurance?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Allstate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Allstate in December 2013.

Initial communication was with an officer in my area, through him the position became available and I was given a link to apply online by a recruiter. I emailed several times with her before conducting a phone-screen interview. I made clear my interview requirements, which needed to be after the school semester was over, and Allstate was more than accommodating. On my interview day I was taken to my area by the intern lead where I interviewed with 5 senior-level directors in my department to determine which team would provide the best mutual fit.

Interview Questions
    • My interviews served less of a case study and more of "tell me about yourself" conversations to determine best fit. The most difficult part was thinking on the spot to tie my experiences into the different teams whose responsibilities were unknown to me prior.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as this was the position I was seeking

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Allstate in May 2013.

Fair warning, this will be quite long, but it is packed with details that will help. I promise.

I sent in my resume and cover letter after hearing about the position on a posting board. I received a short 15 minute phone call with a recruiter from the Illinois offices. After the initial screening, she was my main contact person to set me up for the subsequent interviews. As you move through the interview process, expect a few calls and emails from her as she preps you can schedules your interviews.

I believe my third interview was with my would-be team leader, and it was pretty straightforward. The main thing they wanted to check was that I was interested in the research position and not the statistics position (since there were two positions available at the time and they needed a researcher). After that, there were a few behavioral questions that were asked relating to teamwork and strengths on a team.

[Side note: I had correctly applied to the statistics position, but somehow my application was filtered into the research position entries. They tried to convince me otherwise. The mix-up did work in my favor, but this might also say something about organization.]

My fourth interview was a skype call with two individuals working at the internship location. The first individual mainly covered my previous experiences and asked questions to get a better read on my personality. The second individual asked me more technical questions related to statistics, in case they wanted to use my skills in stats as a follow-up to the research work. The main technical question from that interview is below.

I did note that they made sure to call my listed references. Make sure your references are solid and can really vouch for your work, personality, and work ethic.

If all goes well, you'll be contacted by another recruiter from the main office who will be your new contact person to get you set up to start. This will usually cover salary negotiations, start date, and completion of any remaining paperwork / drug screening. Once this step is done, just get ready for your first day. Prepare for a great learning experience.

The entire process took about... 2 months from initial application to getting all set to start. Applied at the beginning of April. Didn't hear back until beginning of May (but I think I applied really early in their application acceptance period). Once the ball got rolling in May, it was an interview a week until acceptance and paperwork wrap up at the beginning of June.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know what kind of data to use when performing statistical analyses? (Can't remember the exact wording, but it was essentially this.)   View Answer
    The recruiter advised me not to negotiate because the offer technically comes off the table (and they can still effectively reject you). I had no qualms with just flat out accepting their offer, though, because it ended up being higher than anticipated. And they ended up paying me through some requested vacation days.

Intern Interview

I was recruited from a job fair at my college. I had a great résumé so I was treated very well as an applicant. I had two phone interviews: one technical and one behavioral. I knew almost all of the technical questions that were asked from my previous job experience. I got an offer very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview asked about overcoming struggles. This was very hard for me to talk about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allstate in March 2012.

Received the initial offer from an HR Recruiter, and was referred to a position from someone who works with the company. Had an interview with my possible supervisor who asked basic questions revolving around the job requirements. The position had fairly specific requirements, and the questions revolved entirely around those without delving into things like "What's your biggest weakness?"

Interview Questions
    • What is the OSI Model, starting with layer 1 and moving to layer 7?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allstate in October 2010.

It was on campus interview. There were two representatives present and they asked questions about your resume and field experience. Then they ask you problem solving type of questions to see your problem solving skills. You didn't necessarily had to get the right answer but they wanted you to think out loud. Basically you had to say every step that you're thinking.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Allstate in April 2010.

very quick went thru steps within few days

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allstate in March 2010.

I initially applied to Allstate's QRA internship, through the help of an Allstate HR recruiter I met at career fair. After an initial screening interview, I also had a phone interview with a manager, which included some brain-teasers and behavioral questions. Finally I was brought in for an office interview, where approximately half of the time was spent on brain teaser and probability questions, and half on resume and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • A rectangle with a length of 6 ft, and width of 8ft, has its length decreased by 50%, and its width increase by 50%. What is the new area of the rectangle?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Allstate in February 2013.

I found the internship on LinkedIn and found that the opportunity was available to college students so I applied out of curiosity. After an extensive phone interview and Skype interview, I found the company to be very intriguing and welcoming to my perspective and work ethic--and was thrilled to receive an internship offer!

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Allstate.

Applied online through my campus resource as well as on the company website. Was invited to a pre-night info session then invited to phone interview. The phone interview was about 30-minutes long with behavioral questions. I received an offer via e-mail 2-3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you did not succeed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, seemed like all interns received the same pay.