Allstate

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.8

Entry Level Inside Liability Determinate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Allstate.

Hey everyone,
    The interview process is as followed:
    1. Applied online
    2. Selected by recruiter and asked to complete a phone interview (it is a recording where you record your answer - asked current position questions, current compensation and why Allstate with "Name a time" scenario questions) It is rather short maybe 5 or 6 questions.
    3. Upon being selected by hiring after your recorded statement, you are given a link to pass a behavioral analysis style questionnaire - SO SUPER EASY DO NOT SWEAT IT JOB SEEKERS
    4. I was then selected to come in for the face to face interview with team lead (it is who team you will be on so shine bright like a diamond - in my Rihana voice) They only ask name a time questions...like name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, name a time when you gave wrong information etc.
    5. You will be asked to come back and meet with team lead boss and call listen with a current employee.

**Shout out to Allstate because it was honestly the most welcoming interview process I have ever experienced and they were friendly and not the type to look down at people**

6. After that if selected a recruiter will call and extend a job offer

Interview Questions
    • Listed questions in description of interview process sorry.   Answer Question
    I just accepted because for entry level to me it is a blessing to even get the position and I know I can grown and make more over time

Senior BI Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Allstate.

I had a telephone interview for a Sr. Bi Adjuster position. I passed the first step and was told I had to take the dreaded on line exam. I passed it and received an e-mail from the recruiter stating that she will contact me to set up an interview. After 2 weeks I. Didn't hear back so I sent a follow up e-mail and I didn't get a response from the recruiter. I waited a week and sent another e-mail with the same results. Finally I received an e-mail from Allstate saying that I was not qualified for the position. What? I have over 15 years in the industry and I'm not qualified? So I e-mailed the recruited asking why I was never called, when I was told I would be, and you guessed it, no reply. This is very unprofessional.

Investment Operations Finance Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Allstate.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a prescreen questionnaire. A week later, I was brought in to interview. I met with an associate, the hiring manager and the director of the group. All 3 were very easy to talk to, but I got the sense that people had either a short (1-2yrs) or long (15-30yrs) tenure in the group. In addition, they tried to make it appear like Allstate invests in such a wide array of investments, but it essentially boiled down to boring fixed income products which generate predictable cash flows and are liquid. All this to say that I got the impression that even the investment side was a slow moving behemoth.
    My only advice to the hiring manager would be to not leave your cell phone on the desk where it's constantly vibrating from all the messages you are receiving during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to walk through my resume and highlight my accomplishments in each of my past roles.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Allstate.

Applied online for the position. Heard back from HR requesting a 30 minute phone interview with the recruiting department about a week after applying. After the phone interview I heard back within a week requesting a second phone interview with a manager more relevant to the position. After that interview I heard back within a week requesting an in person interview. The in person interview lasted from 8 am till noon. There were three 45 minute interviews with managers from different business sections followed by lunch provided in the Allstate campus cafeteria with two recent hires in the position I applied for who were able to give a better idea of what the position was like for a young employee. Everyone was very friendly and the HR point of contact was responsive and helpful in answering questions and ensuring all plans for interviews were good to go.

Interview Questions
    • You work for a professor who wants to forecast how many students he will have in class each month so he knows how many tests to print out. You are given the class attendance for two years by month (10 months per year for two years, so 20 data points) and asked how you would approach forecasting attendance for next year. There is a major discrepancy between one month in the two years which after you give your initial answer you are told is from a flu outbreak in that month.   Answer Question

Entry Level Inside Auto Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Allstate in February 2015.

received email re: profile match to my resume on the website. Was asked to take an automated phone interview. Same day, received notice of passing, and a request to take an online assessment. Timed, 41 questions, additional personality/background questions. Within the hour, was notified my score did not qualify to move forward in the process. I answered honestly, with more emphasis on team-oriented resolution style. I guess they want employees to not be team players and more reliant on management to solve their issues? SMH.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you went above and beyond in your job duties.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Allstate.

Submitted online application and got email response within a couple of days. Had the phone interview scheduled within a week. They used an outsourced contractor to do initial phone interview. Second interview would also be on the phone with company HR and then onsite with staff. Job skill requirements changed during the interview process, like the position was still in flux. Cordial and professional communication throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions for initial interview. Basic simple questions like: Why do you want to work for Allstate and What can skill sets can you bring to the position?   Answer Question

Inside Casualty Claim Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Allstate in February 2015.

I originally applied through a staffing agency. Talked to the recruiter on the phone about the position. She then told me she would pass my info on to Allstate. Then a recruiter for Allstate contacted me to set up a phone interview. She asked me a couple questions "Tell me about a difficult situation at work"-it was very easy; the recruiter was not the most professional. She then told me that she would send me the link to complete an online pre-employment assessment. It took me about 30-40 minutes to complete (basically just situational questions about working in customer service-just answer what you think a supervisor would want you to say) Then got an email about 5 min later that I had passed. Start of the week someone from the actual office I was interviewing for called me to set up an interview. They wanted me to come in within a couple days which is pretty short notice as I currently had a full-time job but I made it work.

Then went in for the interview-was met by two people around 30 yrs old. The interview was a basic STAR interview. They ask you a question about a situation at work you have experienced in the past and you have to answer in a Situation, Task, Action, Response format. They want super specific responses-nothing general, it pretty much has to be a event that happened all within one day or a few days. Nothing like "we usually did this" or "this happened a lot" If you are not specific enough-they will ask you to come up with a more specific example and it kind of puts you on the spot-so be prepared with A LOT of examples. I have done many STAR interviews but none that asked you this many questions. It is difficult to keep coming up with fresh material, maintain eye contact, etc. through the whole thing. After they had completed their packet of questions they asked me a few questions about my resume; as well as if I had any claims experience. This took about 45 min-1 hr.

Then they asked me if I had time to sit with an adjuster. I said yes and they took me upstairs to where all the adjusters sit. I sat with the guy for awhile and he just showed me the computer system and how they input information-nothing crazy. He has no input in the hiring process. The adjuster had to go to a meeting and he started to wonder if the original two people were ever come back to get me. Then we walked up and down the stairs a few times looking for them. We finally found them I believe discussing me w/ their supervisor and they told him to take me back down to the original interview room.

Lastly, the head supervisor came down by herself to take with me. She was cordial but hard to please. She asked me questions about my resume, and some harder, on-the-spot questions like "why should I hire you" "what do you offer" etc. I'm not sure if her coming down was a good sign or a bad sign; but I didn't get an offer so I don't know.

The whole interview took a little over 2 hours-definitely the longest interview I've ever done. She told me they would be in contact probably by the next Monday and on that Monday I got a generic decline email.

Interview Questions
    • I focused a lot on remembering these questions-so I help they can help other people going through this interview process!

Name a time you disagreed with someone at work

Name a time you improved procedures

Name a time you had an unpopular opinion

Name a time you went above and beyond at work

Name a time you helped others see importance in something

Name a time you had to prioritize your time

Name a time you improved yourself professionally/continued your education

Name a time when you had difficulty w/ a co-worker

Name a time you had to deal with a angry person at work/someone unhappy with service

Answer Question
    • Have you had any claims experience?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current position?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Allstate in February 2015.

Phone interview first. It was fairly easy. It has the same objective as the questions in the 'in-person' interview. If then approved, personality test. The personality test is done online. It is time consuming, but not difficult. Followed by in person interview. This for me was hard, I don't do well talking to people that have to pick my brain in 30 minutes or less. However, it was relaxed and I even enjoyed some laughs.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where your work was not up to your boss' standard.   Answer Question

User Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Allstate in February 2015.

It’s clear that the Marketing Department (User Experience team) is not serious about hiring full-time positions.

I’ve applied to dozens of Allstate’s UX type positions throughout the years and I must say
    over half of them were either Cancelled or put On Hold. I thought this time would be different.

I currently work for a temp agency in which my assignment just so happens to be with Allstate and has nothing to do with my technical skills, it's just a job to get by. My assignment was coming to an end so I’ve been feverishly looking for a new position anywhere and everywhere. Out of haste I decided to apply online for the User Interface Engineer position. I also noticed that job has been sitting there since December of last year but went ahead and applied anyway.

Because I got an email reply from HR within two days to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager the following week, I figured finally this time will be different. I recalled just recently applying to a similar Allstate position 5 months prior in which the status quickly got changed to Cancelled.

The interview with the hiring manager went well, it lasted a solid 30 minutes. It was more of a conversation, questions were about my passion about UX design, what tools do I use, and what is my design process.

I sent a follow up email to the HR team a few days later to ask about the status. A couple of days after that, I received a canned rejection notice saying "other candidates more closely match the position" but yet the job is still posted with an “Open” status. In addition when I got the first email for an invite to interview it stated “We are impressed with your credentials”. So which canned message is the truth?

Interview Questions
    • Questions about my background, my portfolio, my technical skills and interests   Answer Question

Project Manager (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Allstate in February 2015.

First Round: automated telephone interview. This was VERY awkward: essentially, a robot calls you and asks you standardized questions (strengths, weaknesses, what you think/like about project management etc), and allots you time to answer them. This would have been fine with a human, but for some reason I was fumbling all over myself with the 'bot. To the point where I was SURE I would not get a call back.

Second Round: In-Person/On-Site. I met with the two hiring managers for my department. They were very friendly and obviously very dedicated/enthusiastic about their work and the company (you laugh, but I've had interviews with the complete opposite). The interview structure was as follows:

- introduction of both managers, a quick get to know each other
    - rundown of my resume, first a summary by me and then pointed questions by them
    - structured/standardized questions provided by the company
    - additional questions thought up by the individual managers
    - time allotted for my questions

This position was entry level, and the second round was the final round.

Interview Questions
    • One that was a bit unexpected was "name a common misconception that others have about you".   Answer Question
    • "Tell me what you know about the project management process"   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about a time when you headed a project, and what was the result?"   Answer Question