Allstate

Very Easy Interview

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Woodridge, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Allstate in July 2014.

Interview Details – Honestly, it was a very pleasant and easy interview. I spoke with two gentlemen who were the heads of the liability claims department, and they were both very easygoing and cool. Although Allstate is a huge company, the demeanor of everything was laid-back. Both of the men took a "we have to ask you these silly questions because it's a job interview" approach, but they still ask many questions that are less robotic and more individualized. They made nearly everything about the position clear. I really liked that they told me what the other recent hires were like - it gave me an idea of how my qualifications matched up with those who are entry-level college grads like me. I only interviewed yesterday and am waiting for a call back, but regardless if I get an offer, it was a very simple interview that increased my confidence and the appeal with working for the company.

Interview Question – None were difficult. They were all customer service related. How do you handle stress at work, how do you handle an unhappy customer, have you ever dealt with a big change at work, etc.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Northbrook, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Allstate in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication was with an officer in my area, through him the position became available and I was given a link to apply online by a recruiter. I emailed several times with her before conducting a phone-screen interview. I made clear my interview requirements, which needed to be after the school semester was over, and Allstate was more than accommodating. On my interview day I was taken to my area by the intern lead where I interviewed with 5 senior-level directors in my department to determine which team would provide the best mutual fit.

Interview Question – My interviews served less of a case study and more of "tell me about yourself" conversations to determine best fit. The most difficult part was thinking on the spot to tie my experiences into the different teams whose responsibilities were unknown to me prior.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as this was the position I was seeking

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Lincoln, NE

I applied online - interviewed at Allstate in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online. I got an email back from the Talent Coordinator of Allstate looking to have me come in for an interview. I scheduled an interview and they gave me a location. I interviewed with the manager who hired me and one of my soon to be cooworkers. The asked me about everything on my resume, they were trying to get a feel for who I was, what I do, how I do it and so forth. We chatted for about an hour. There was a scripted part of the interview, casual conversation about things on my resume, and a time for me to ask them questions. After I had ran out of questions, I thanked them, and went home. A few days later I got a call back from Allstate and they had offered me a position.

Interview Question – The hardest part of the interview was answering some object oriented programming questions. At the time, I had blanked on the definition of polymorphism and the differences between an abstract class and an interface. I should have brushed up more on my programming knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered, I accepted their terms. No negotiations for an intern position. None that I remember at least.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Leadership Development Program
Northbrook, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Allstate in May 2014.

Interview Details – I got an email the day after submitting my application online with an invitation for a phone interview. The phone interview took place about a week later. It consisted mostly of me talking about my leadership and work experiences during college. The interviewer praised my leadership abilities and experiences, only for me to receive an email the day after saying I was no longer being considered for the program.

Interview Question – Questions mainly about leadership experiences during college   Answer Question

AskHR Interview

AskHR
Northbrook, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Allstate in June 2014.

Interview Details – I saw an opening online for a entry-level HR position at Allstate and applied. A few days later I got a call to schedule a phone screen and it was pretty straight forward. She asked questions about my resume and then we scheduled an interview for me to come in and meet the team. I loved the place. The interview went great and I had a lot of great questions but at the very end they said "we actually don't have anything open right now but we MIGHT call you in three weeks." I was confused because they had a job opening up online. 3 weeks goes by and I don't hear anything so I emailed all three people that I spoke with for interviews and not a single one responded to me. RUDE!

Interview Question – A lot of customer service related questions   Answer Question

Internet Chat- Sales Interview

Internet Chat- Sales
Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Allstate in July 2012.

Interview Details – Internal candidates with sales background only due to necessity of intimate familiarity with Allstate's internal guidelines and processes gained through experience with the Inbound Licensed Sales Representative role.

BDI format for all of the interviews they conduct throughout the company. In the Charlotte CCC office, these interviews are conducted by the team leader for the unit and they are the final hiring decision based on the standardized scoring of the results.

All answers should be presented in the "STAR" format (Situation, Task, Activity, Result) with emphasis on what you personally have done in previous roles that qualifies you to hold the position. They will ask you a question such as "Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for a customer."

The appropriate response will include a synopsis of the situation the customer interaction presents, the task that a candidate performed in accordance with the customer's request, and the actual activities executed in the prescribed duty. They will expect you to wrap up your answers with a description of the result of everything that preceded it.

What once was a team of twelve high-performing property and casualty agents has dwindled into five as people are fired for dubious reasons (without honest attempts at coaching) or leave on their own accord to greener pastures. Multiple times job postings for replacements have been cancelled by corporate decision makers who have no idea how the job services customers, thus making it obvious that they don't see a plan for the position going forward.

Interview Question – What is an example of a time when you had to deal with a stressful environment and what coping methods did you use?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable salary within band ranging from ~$28,000 to ~$43,000 depending upon tenure and performance raises in the duration. Hourly with rare overtime opportunities in your function.

Formerly had additional commission based on sales that ranged up to $2,000 monthly, but that ended in Jan 2013 after being guaranteed that it would remain intact in late Oct 2012. At that time, the team was told long-term plans intended to transition to service in 2014. Not nearly as lucrative as it used to be.

Customer Claims Specialist Interview

Customer Claims Specialist

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Allstate in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a call to do a 10 minute interview about things you have experienced in the past such as a difficult situation with a customer. Then they sent an online questionnaire to see if you had the right personally for the job. I then received an email saying I passed and should expect a follow up call soon. About 3 days later I was asked to come in for a formal interview. I was told to be 10-15 minutes early. It was within a week I was asked to come in for an interview from the phone interview. It was 4 weeks after I applied that I initially was contacted. In the interview I sat with one manager. It was pretty laid back and an enjoyable experience. I was there for one hour. I was asked a couple formal questions, given information on the company policies and dress code, a lot of it was more getting to know myself and the company. I was then taken on a tour of the facility, and sat with a Claims Specialist on a phone call to see what types of situations they deal with. Then I was taken back to the interview room with the manager. They asked if I thought I could see myself working there. I said yes because it seemed like something I would like to do. We sat for about 5 more minutes and I was told I would 've contacted soon with an answer. The next day I was offered the position and I took it.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiations, they were upfront about the pay scale from the beginning and they were set on it.

Pricing Technician Analyst Interview

Pricing Technician Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Allstate.

Interview Details – I applied to the position online through the careers website. After about two weeks I received a phone call from HR to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. The phone interview was a basic review of my resume and why I was interested in the position.

A couple days after I was contacted to schedule an in person interview. This consisted of 3 rounds of 30 minute interviews with 2-3 mangers/analysts. Everyone I interviewed with was friendly and energetic. The interviews themselves weren't difficult. We reviewed my resume and why I wanted to the position again. There were then about 3-5 behavior questions each round to see how I've handled various situations in the past.

I was told that I would be contacted in about 2 weeks with a decision. Surprisingly I was contacted a couple days later with an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – There really weren't any unexpected questions. Questions were answered using STAR model.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation with the salary. I was told this upfront when I had the phone interview with the HR rep.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

Interviewed at Allstate

Interview Details – First interview held by phone, second by video conference, third was all day in person interview. Interview process was difficult, but fair. Multiple people were involved in interviewing me, and I was asked to submit a work sample before I came in for the in person interview. Interview was primarily behavioral questions, very few "standard" interview questions like "Tell me the best and worst thing about yourself."

Interview Question – Here's a report turned in by one of our consultants. What problems do you see with it?   Answer Question

Claims Service Adjuster Interview

Claims Service Adjuster
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Allstate in June 2014.

Interview Details – I originally applied for a different adjustor position, didn't hear back from that one in almost three months, so I reapplied for a different adjustor position, and heard back from the recruiter 2 hours later via email. Weird. Anyway. Recruiter contacted me via phone for 10-15 minute interview. Pretty simple questions: 1) tell me about yourself and 2) tell me about a stressful situation and how you handled it. They also asked for salary requirements. I asked for higher than was offered, but if you have zero claims experience like I do, then they're tough about negotiating a higher base salary.

After the easy phone interview I was emailed an online assessment, which tests your customer service skills. There are a few graphs you have to interpret (grade school difficulty) and "what if" scenarios that help determine whether you're a culture fit. I passed that and was scheduled for a first round personal interview with a claims service leader and an operations leader. Both were very pleasant, took notes in an interview packet, asked pretty generic behavioral questions that I found easy because I prepped for them. I also have years of customer service experience, so if you have that you'll be fine. Make sure you highlight your customer service, adaptability and decision-making skills. After successfully completing first round, I was offered a second interview on the spot. Two days later I came back to job shadow an adjustor for an hour, and then met with the office manager, who turned out to be the regional claims leader. Very good vibe from the office, friendly, genuine and helpful people.

If they like you, Allstate reacts very quickly. The same day of my second round interview the recruiter contacted me again and offered me the position. HR may not be the quickest at first, believe me, but keep applying to different positions. If they think you're a good fit they move fast to get you hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What happened, and how did you handle it?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you had to change your methods to solve a problem.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a difficult customer you've had and how you dealt with them.   View Answer
  • Why the career change? Why Allstate?   Answer Question

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!