Allstate

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Operations Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Northbrook, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Allstate in March 2012.

Applied online and completed personality test then was called the next day for a phone screen with an HR recruiter. A few hours later I was told that I passed and moved to another phone interview with a manager. The following day I was asked to set up an in person interview. The in-person interview consisted of 3 managers from different parts of the business- none of which could or would be my potential manager. I was told that it was set up this way because the position is so new. They realized that since Actuaries are too hard to find they could actually get the work done with Finance people.

The first interviewer (an Actuary) handed me a 4 question math test (exactly like GMAT math problems) while he read over my resume for about 15 minutes. We then just talked about the company and his career there. I answered a couple of behavioral questions that were pretty easy.

The second interview was with someone (an Accountant) who asked mostly behavioral questions and was interested in discussing my school projects rather than work experience.

The third interview consisted of a statistical/IQ test and some behavioral questions. This interviewer also wanted to show me the forms that he would be filling out about me and talked to me a lot about how they pick people to offer a job. It basically comes down to a vote where 2 out of 3 votes gets the offer.
In answering his IQ questions I found some solutions that were not the 1 solution that he was expecting to get. It seemed to irritate him and he told me that I was using the 'literal interpretation of what the question asked'. He had to (verbally) modify the question several times because I kept solving it with 100% probability. I had a hard time believing that I would fit in well at Allstate after that. I eventually gave him the answer he was looking for- but reiterated that it also had the lowest probability (< 75%).

I was told that I would hear something within 2 weeks. At 3 weeks when I had not heard anything. I was pretty sure that I did not get it since the interviewing process moved so fast. I sent an email follow up to HR who then called me an hour later to drag out 'no' into about 5 minutes of talking before he finally said it. I appreciated the phone call but I would have preferred that they let me know right after my interviews instead of trying to spare my feelings and waiting until I called them to make it seem like they had a tough time cutting me.
Another strange thing is that he told me the 'no' was because of lack of experience but they knew my experience level prior to those final three interviews so I kind of feel like it's code for something else.

The HR person told me that he liked me a whole lot and that I should keep applying. I'm a little appalled at that since I applied to about 30 positions over an 18 month period at Allstate and this was the only one I have ever even got a call about.

Everyone was exceptionally nice. The office was very well lit. The campus is sprawling and I saw a very diverse workforce.

Interview Questions
  • If you have 8 balls and a scale. If you can only take two measurements, how do you find the one ball that is lighter than the other 7?   View Answer
  • if two trains leave the station at the same time but they are traveling at different speeds- what is the average speed it takes to go round trip. (each one has a different speed going from returning)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Allstate

Product Operations Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Allstate in February 2012.

The recruiter was very polite, and seemed interested in what I had to say. Asked me to explain more about jobs I held before and the recruiter explained job description and what kind of work I would be doing if I had an offer. Seems like they had a great group of people working there and it would be a good place to work. Didn't move on past the phone interviewing process because Allstate doesn't sponsor work visa and I need one.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had someone that was not happy with the recommendations you came up with.   Answer Question

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!