Allston Trading

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Allston Trading.

Ran into them at a career fair, handed them my resume, and received a phone interview about a week later. The phone interview was focused on general knowledge about Java, class design, concurrency, networking, and algorithms (There were a total of 12 questions). I was shaky on a few of the subjects at the time of the interview, so I didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Q: Why are Strings immutable in Java, and what might some advantages/disadvantages of this be?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I met a recruiter at a job fair and a couple weeks later I got a phone interview. All of the questions from the phone interview were pretty straight forward and mostly just conceptual questions. A week later, I was invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview was fun (though there were 5 interviews, each an hour long.) At the end of the day, they took us to a pretty good steakhouse. It looks like they really know how to treat their employees.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer and I worked together to see how we could better implement Object's toString, equals, and hashCode function.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Allston Trading in October 2014.

Submitted the resume through campus career fair, got response for a phone call interview within one week. Some OOPS questions,some algorithm and data structure questions, and few OS questions. For example, why do you need immutable class, how do you implement hash table, deadlocks and how to resolve the deadlock

Interview Questions
    • Some trivial OOPS questions that I didn't prepare well   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Allston Trading in August 2013.

phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm to test the existence of an element in a matrix that is sorted by rows and columns   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Allston Trading.

I initially contacted Allston to gauge whether there was a potential match (in terms of what I could offer them and what they could offer me). The process began with in-person interviews with various subgroups within a particular asset class. I was fortunate enough to meet with several members of the team and speak to the majority of the them. What resonated with me right away was how cordial everyone was and how everyone that I spoke to appeared very happy with where they were. It was apparent that Allston treated their employees well and employed some highly intelligent and ambitious individuals. The firm's core values are in line with what successful companies are built on and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Interview Questions
    • Some interviews consisted of brainteaser-type questions.   Answer Question

A rare opportunity within a different field that I was also interested in materialized during the process. Under normal circumstance, I would have had no hesitation accepting Allston's offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Allston Trading in August 2012.

Referred by an acquaintance, and flew to Chicago after an initial phone screen. The on-site interview consisted of various technical questions and some behavior discussions.

Everyone that I spoke to was intelligent and friendly. The technical questions are pretty standard. The non-technical discussions were more interesting. My interviewers stayed honest and open, which lead to very fruitful discussions about career, work, and life in general.

Interview Questions

Ultimately decided to stay in the tech industry.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Allston Trading in July 2012.

Had 2 initial in person casual conversations with various company members. Afterward, I was brought on site and had 6 in person interviews which lasted about 45 min each.

Interview Questions
    • One of the partners asked me a question regarding price correlation of certain commodities to the stock indices and why they existed in some commodities but not others.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Allston Trading in June 2010.

Very quick.

Was asked some questions about math, IQ, algorithms and Java.

Got the offer at the end of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a m*n matrix with values -1 or 1, try to flip the values in a given row and a given line efficiently.   View Answers (2)