Allston Trading

Relevance Date Difficulty

Trader Interview

Trader
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Allston Trading in July 2012.

Interview Details – Had 2 initial in person casual conversations with various company members. Afterward, I was brought on site and had 6 in person interviews which lasted about 45 min each.

Interview Question – One of the partners asked me a question regarding price correlation of certain commodities to the stock indices and why they existed in some commodities but not others.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Allston Trading in August 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – Algorithm to test the existence of an element in a matrix that is sorted by rows and columns   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Allston Trading in August 2012.

Interview Details – Referred by an acquaintance, and flew to Chicago after an initial phone screen. The on-site interview consisted of various technical questions and some behavior discussions.

Everyone that I spoke to was intelligent and friendly. The technical questions are pretty standard. The non-technical discussions were more interesting. My interviewers stayed honest and open, which lead to very fruitful discussions about career, work, and life in general.

Interview Question – Pretty standard technical questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ultimately decided to stay in the tech industry.

Trader Interview

Trader
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Allston Trading.

Interview Details – I initially contacted Allston to gauge whether there was a potential match (in terms of what I could offer them and what they could offer me). The process began with in-person interviews with various subgroups within a particular asset class. I was fortunate enough to meet with several members of the team and speak to the majority of the them. What resonated with me right away was how cordial everyone was and how everyone that I spoke to appeared very happy with where they were. It was apparent that Allston treated their employees well and employed some highly intelligent and ambitious individuals. The firm's core values are in line with what successful companies are built on and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Interview Question – Some interviews consisted of brainteaser-type questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – A rare opportunity within a different field that I was also interested in materialized during the process. Under normal circumstance, I would have had no hesitation accepting Allston's offer.

Quantitative Analyst/Developer Interview

Quantitative Analyst/Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Allston Trading in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very quick.

Was asked some questions about math, IQ, algorithms and Java.

Got the offer at the end of interview.

Interview Question – Given a m*n matrix with values -1 or 1, try to flip the values in a given row and a given line efficiently.   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Allston Trading? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allston Trading interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Allston Trading employees and interview candidates.