Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Interview Details – Met quite a few people across all parts of the organization. The process was pretty standard, no real surprises along the way. It helps to know some one already working there to get your resume seen and a possible interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Pretty typical interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate salary because of move to Memphis.

Internship Interview

Internship

Interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Interview Details – They had not prepared questions, so the interview was unfocused. One interviewer abruptly walked out in the middle of the interview. The other interviewers were embarrassed and stunned silent for a few moments, but continued on. Clearly, the interviewers did not get along.

Interview Question – What does the internet have to do with radio?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I could sense tension among the women on the panel, and it made me apprehensive about what kind of environment I would be working in if I was hired.

Event Marketing Representative Interview

Event Marketing Representative
Newton, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email to set-up a phone interview. Be prepared to answer the phone with no distractions and the answers to the basic questions: what about the position interests you, what does St. Jude do, etc.? After the phone interview, they emailed me again to set-up the an in-person interview. I had one interview with the Managing Director and then a separate interview with the Assistant Director. The process moved fairly quick since the office did not have any representatives at the time.

Interview Question – Pretty basic interview questions. Do your research on the company and how St. Jude is local to the community.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was right out of college so I wasn't extremely picky with salary. Both managers told me that HR would give me an offer within a range ($35-40k)

Intern Interview

Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a few weeks later. Because I was not in the location of the position, the next step was a Skype interview. I was interviews by two of the team members and they were both very nice. No oddball questions. Skype interviews are always a bit awkward, but the interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – There really weren't any unexpected questions. They mostly focused on experience, and it was difficult being a student to not supply responses related to school work as opposed to professional experience. Just use as many concrete examples of experience that you may have.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was an unpaid internship.

Project Manager Youth Outreach Interview

Project Manager Youth Outreach
Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in January 2014.

Interview Details – Had 1 phone and 1 Skype interview, than brought to Memphis for interview. Seemed to go very well, was even shown were my work area would be, and person who would be my supervisor even sent text to recruiter saying all was going well at mid-afternoon. Then met with two young ladies from marketing, thought that went well, but was informed that they thought I wasn't a fit," could not put their finger on why", was all I was told. However, my strong feeling, especially after that very weak reason why I was discarded, is my age, being considerably older than them. Very disappointed, I do qualify, and can work with and report to anyone. I am sad that the high ideals of St. Jude, do not prevent age discrimination. That said, they do a wonderful work and have great results, and I will continue to donate to St. Jude and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Regional Event Specialist Interview

Regional Event Specialist
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Interview Details – The recruitment process took four months from start to finish. I spoke with HR twice, then had two hour long phone screens, and was finally brought into the office for a face-to-face interview. At the in person interview, I was asked to complete a project that took hours to complete. During the interview, I was rushed through the presentation. I spoke with three people, only one of whom was actually onsite. Ultimately, I was turned down for the position based on a lack of experience in an area I had been very clear about during my first communication with St. Jude.

Interview Question – Most of the questions asked were fairly standard and fair.   Answer Question

Fundraising Intern Interview

Fundraising Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Interview Details – Found the application through my college and contacted HR at the Tampa office to submit my resume and cover letter. I had to call back a couple of weeks later to make sure they had my information and we scheduled a phone interview.

On the phone was an HR representative and an employee in charge of fundraising. We basically went over my resume and I was asked what I knew about St. Jude and why I wanted to work for them. They didn't ask many behavior based questions. I was asked my strengths and weaknesses. And how my experience would apply to their position

Reason for Declining – Took another offer

Senior IStrategist Interview

Senior IStrategist
Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen may very well have been the toughest step of the hiring ladder. Multiple department leaders and an hour of acumen assessment.

Next step, a quick in-person, which was followed a few weeks later by a final round. In the final, be very prepared to not only present to at least two senior or C-level department leaders. This will have somewhere in between round after round of meeting each team for 30 minutes, which is clearly a solid test of cultural fit and depth of knowledge/ability to adapt.

After each step, expect an average of 2 weeks to hear back.

REQUISITION TIME = 2 to 3 months

Interview Question – Concern over limited non-profit marketing experience   View Answer

Internal Liaison - Communications Interview

Internal Liaison - Communications
Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews first. These were approximately 30 minutes each and very conversational. Writing samples were requested.

The in-person interview slot was 3 hours. Instead of a panel, it was 30 minutes with different people or pairs of people. Lots of repeating the same information. A panel would have been simplier. No break or water.

Lots of "tell me about your background". There was not the typical "how was everything?" by the main interview at the end...just a "we'll get with you soon"...and they never did.

I'd seen several comments on the St. Jude Glassdoor page about reps not getting back with you, and ALSAC was the same. Not even a rejection letter. I was fairly surprised such a well-repected company would be so disrespectful to candidates.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult. Very high expectations on the writing samples.   Answer Question

Fundraising Interview

Fundraising
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview was first with general qualification questions. Invited to interview in person. There was never a 1:1 face to face interview. You were placed in a room with everyone who worked in the office but the receptionist, probably around 10-15 people. It was hard to get to know any of the interviewers because there were so many. There was really no structure to how the questions where asked.

Interview Question – If you were hired for this position how would you distinguish yourself from the other staff members?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees and interview candidates.