Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014
14 interviews

3.1

Senior Director Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Met quite a few people across all parts of the organization. The process was pretty standard, no real surprises along the way. It helps to know some one already working there to get your resume seen and a possible interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Pretty typical interview questions   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary because of move to Memphis.

Internship Interview

They had not prepared questions, so the interview was unfocused. One interviewer abruptly walked out in the middle of the interview. The other interviewers were embarrassed and stunned silent for a few moments, but continued on. Clearly, the interviewers did not get along.

Interview Questions

I could sense tension among the women on the panel, and it made me apprehensive about what kind of environment I would be working in if I was hired.

Event Marketing Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2010.

I applied online and received an email to set-up a phone interview. Be prepared to answer the phone with no distractions and the answers to the basic questions: what about the position interests you, what does St. Jude do, etc.? After the phone interview, they emailed me again to set-up the an in-person interview. I had one interview with the Managing Director and then a separate interview with the Assistant Director. The process moved fairly quick since the office did not have any representatives at the time.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic interview questions. Do your research on the company and how St. Jude is local to the community.   Answer Question
    I was right out of college so I wasn't extremely picky with salary. Both managers told me that HR would give me an offer within a range ($35-40k)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in February 2013.

I applied online and received a few weeks later. Because I was not in the location of the position, the next step was a Skype interview. I was interviews by two of the team members and they were both very nice. No oddball questions. Skype interviews are always a bit awkward, but the interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unexpected questions. They mostly focused on experience, and it was difficult being a student to not supply responses related to school work as opposed to professional experience. Just use as many concrete examples of experience that you may have.   Answer Question
    It was an unpaid internship.

Project Manager Youth Outreach Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in January 2014.

Had 1 phone and 1 Skype interview, than brought to Memphis for interview. Seemed to go very well, was even shown were my work area would be, and person who would be my supervisor even sent text to recruiter saying all was going well at mid-afternoon. Then met with two young ladies from marketing, thought that went well, but was informed that they thought I wasn't a fit," could not put their finger on why", was all I was told. However, my strong feeling, especially after that very weak reason why I was discarded, is my age, being considerably older than them. Very disappointed, I do qualify, and can work with and report to anyone. I am sad that the high ideals of St. Jude, do not prevent age discrimination. That said, they do a wonderful work and have great results, and I will continue to donate to St. Jude and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Regional Event Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

The recruitment process took four months from start to finish. I spoke with HR twice, then had two hour long phone screens, and was finally brought into the office for a face-to-face interview. At the in person interview, I was asked to complete a project that took hours to complete. During the interview, I was rushed through the presentation. I spoke with three people, only one of whom was actually onsite. Ultimately, I was turned down for the position based on a lack of experience in an area I had been very clear about during my first communication with St. Jude.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked were fairly standard and fair.   Answer Question

Fundraising Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Found the application through my college and contacted HR at the Tampa office to submit my resume and cover letter. I had to call back a couple of weeks later to make sure they had my information and we scheduled a phone interview.

On the phone was an HR representative and an employee in charge of fundraising. We basically went over my resume and I was asked what I knew about St. Jude and why I wanted to work for them. They didn't ask many behavior based questions. I was asked my strengths and weaknesses. And how my experience would apply to their position

Took another offer

Senior IStrategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2012.

Initial phone screen may very well have been the toughest step of the hiring ladder. Multiple department leaders and an hour of acumen assessment.

Next step, a quick in-person, which was followed a few weeks later by a final round. In the final, be very prepared to not only present to at least two senior or C-level department leaders. This will have somewhere in between round after round of meeting each team for 30 minutes, which is clearly a solid test of cultural fit and depth of knowledge/ability to adapt.

After each step, expect an average of 2 weeks to hear back.

REQUISITION TIME = 2 to 3 months

Interview Questions
    • Concern over limited non-profit marketing experience   View Answer

Internal Liaison - Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

There were two phone interviews first. These were approximately 30 minutes each and very conversational. Writing samples were requested.

The in-person interview slot was 3 hours. Instead of a panel, it was 30 minutes with different people or pairs of people. Lots of repeating the same information. A panel would have been simplier. No break or water.

Lots of "tell me about your background". There was not the typical "how was everything?" by the main interview at the end...just a "we'll get with you soon"...and they never did.

I'd seen several comments on the St. Jude Glassdoor page about reps not getting back with you, and ALSAC was the same. Not even a rejection letter. I was fairly surprised such a well-repected company would be so disrespectful to candidates.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. Very high expectations on the writing samples.   Answer Question

Fundraising Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in October 2009.

Phone interview was first with general qualification questions. Invited to interview in person. There was never a 1:1 face to face interview. You were placed in a room with everyone who worked in the office but the receptionist, probably around 10-15 people. It was hard to get to know any of the interviewers because there were so many. There was really no structure to how the questions where asked.

Interview Questions
    • If you were hired for this position how would you distinguish yourself from the other staff members?   Answer Question

Worked for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Contribute to the Community!