Alstom Power Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2015

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alstom Power (Windsor, CT).

Interview

I sent in a Resume and was contacted by a HR Representative two weeks later to schedule an interview two days later. I was contacted one week after the interview with an offer. I started 2 weeks after accepting the offer with a drug test/background investigation in between. HR was very pleasant during the entire process and encouraged any questions along the way.

Project Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview

This is a very lengthy and confusing process for this company. I applied for the position in early November. I was contacted by HR regarding my application on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was invited to the office for an interview 2 weeks later (mid-December). I didn't hear anything from anyone after the interview, until the end of January. I received an offer a month later, and started working until the end of March. So the whole process took 4+ months. Good thing I was already employed elsewhere!

Negotiation

There is little to no negotiation. I managed to negotiate an additional week of vacation.

Technical Field Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview

Applied to posting on job board. Was contacted for a phone interview. Visited the campus one time and had a second interview with a technology demonstration. Was called back to sign paperwork the following week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were extremely firm on their introduction pay scale

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview

Applied for an internship, heard back within 2 weeks,

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to work with a team and you disagreed with the direction. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview

Only had one interview after meeting at a campus recruiting event. Fairly straight-forward with no tricky questions; mostly went over my resume. They told me three days afterwards that the program is no longer accepting candidates from the US.

Interview Questions

• They just asked questions about my resume. Nothing scary or unpredictable   Answer Question

Sales/Business Development/Proposal Development & Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alstom Power (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Interviews are generally long, but somewhat meaningful. However, the length of the process is much too long and unless you are selected to move forward to the next stage in the process, there is no communication from HR as to where you stand. Unless selected, even after having an in-person interview, the process provides only for notification of the decision by US mail, and only after the hiring process has been completed and the selected candidate is on-board. This can take months, depending on the position, the workload of the hiring manager, and the priority of the respective position. If the applicant is not selected for an in-person interview, there is no formal communication to the applicant, even after the hiring decision has been finalized and the candidate on-board.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

When an offer is made, there is generally no room for negotiation. In my case, it was a "take-it or leave-it" offer. Mid- to upper-level management offers have some negotiation room but this is generally tied to the priority of the position and how profitable that particular sector is at the time of the offer.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview

Interview 1: Phone interview with background and behavior based questions, involvement in school activities and organizations, goals and reason for wanting the job. The company scouts for leadership and team player qualities. Involvement outside school such as engineering teams (SAE) is favorable.
    Interview 2: Onsite with tour, panel of 11 people in different groups(mostly behavioral! know how to respond); small technical questions but be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Technical: Fluid pipe flow and pressure drop question; thermo cycle and analysis on gas turbine engine   Answer Question

Alternant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Alstom Power (Paris, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

No questions asked basically, you are told to specify why you think you will fit the post better than anyone else that my apply. At one point you will be asked about weaknesses and strnegth points, do not try to give them the exact same thing everyone does "Perfectionist" just be honest but show effort that you are working on your weaknesses

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alstom Power (Richmond, VA) in April 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with multiple people that I would interface with in that position

Wanted to stay in current position (waiting for a promotion)

Manufacturing Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Alstom Power (Amarillo, TX) in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online as a result of a targeted search with Alston. After a few telephone interviews, I was asked to interview in the main offices, where all senior staff of various departments interviewed me at separate times. The interviewers were a varied group of international managers, mostly from Europe. The questions were geared to find out the scope of experience and willingness to take on the job responsibility. After each step the HR recruiter provided feedback on the reactions to each interview. the office atmosphere felt informal as did the management team that interviewed me. The best advice is to be prepared for the interview, knowing the company and yourself. Honesty is the best policy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiations during the economic stage were based on trying to get the lowest possible salary. To achieve this the company insisted in knowing my previous employer compensation. At this stage I insisted such information was confidential and instead, communicated my expectation rather than my salary at the time. I was ready to walk away if the offer was less than I stated. This was not capricious, but rather based on comparable salaries for comparable position and experience. My advice is to know what your value is, and be ready to walk away if the economic issue takes too long to be settled, as this is an indication of the corporate attitude to compensation. If you settle for less, expect less thru your entire career as the largest gain in salary is obtained when changing employers, not as time passes in your current job.