Alstom Power

27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Planner Interview

Project Planner

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – This is a very lengthy and confusing process for this company. I applied for the position in early November. I was contacted by HR regarding my application on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was invited to the office for an interview 2 weeks later (mid-December). I didn't hear anything from anyone after the interview, until the end of January. I received an offer a month later, and started working until the end of March. So the whole process took 4+ months. Good thing I was already employed elsewhere!

Negotiation Details – There is little to no negotiation. I managed to negotiate an additional week of vacation.

Technical Field Advisor Interview

Technical Field Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – Applied to posting on job board. Was contacted for a phone interview. Visited the campus one time and had a second interview with a technology demonstration. Was called back to sign paperwork the following week.

Interview Question – No questions that were out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were extremely firm on their introduction pay scale

Alternant Interview

Alternant
Paris, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Alstom Power in March 2013.

Interview Details – No questions asked basically, you are told to specify why you think you will fit the post better than anyone else that my apply. At one point you will be asked about weaknesses and strnegth points, do not try to give them the exact same thing everyone does "Perfectionist" just be honest but show effort that you are working on your weaknesses

Interview Question – Why Alstom? What can it give you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – Applied for an internship, heard back within 2 weeks,

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you had to work with a team and you disagreed with the direction. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

Business Development Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – Only had one interview after meeting at a campus recruiting event. Fairly straight-forward with no tricky questions; mostly went over my resume. They told me three days afterwards that the program is no longer accepting candidates from the US.

Interview Question – They just asked questions about my resume. Nothing scary or unpredictable   Answer Question

Sales/Business Development/Proposal Development & Support Interview

Sales/Business Development/Proposal Development & Support
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – Interviews are generally long, but somewhat meaningful. However, the length of the process is much too long and unless you are selected to move forward to the next stage in the process, there is no communication from HR as to where you stand. Unless selected, even after having an in-person interview, the process provides only for notification of the decision by US mail, and only after the hiring process has been completed and the selected candidate is on-board. This can take months, depending on the position, the workload of the hiring manager, and the priority of the respective position. If the applicant is not selected for an in-person interview, there is no formal communication to the applicant, even after the hiring decision has been finalized and the candidate on-board.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When an offer is made, there is generally no room for negotiation. In my case, it was a "take-it or leave-it" offer. Mid- to upper-level management offers have some negotiation room but this is generally tied to the priority of the position and how profitable that particular sector is at the time of the offer.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alstom Power in November 2009.

Interview Details – one interview

Interview Question – none, all basic   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Mechanical Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alstom Power.

Interview Details – Interview 1: Phone interview with background and behavior based questions, involvement in school activities and organizations, goals and reason for wanting the job. The company scouts for leadership and team player qualities. Involvement outside school such as engineering teams (SAE) is favorable.
Interview 2: Onsite with tour, panel of 11 people in different groups(mostly behavioral! know how to respond); small technical questions but be prepared.

Interview Question – Technical: Fluid pipe flow and pressure drop question; thermo cycle and analysis on gas turbine engine   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Customer Service Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Alstom Power in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with multiple people that I would interface with in that position

Reason for Declining – Wanted to stay in current position (waiting for a promotion)

Manufacturing Process Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Process Engineer
Amarillo, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Alstom Power in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online as a result of a targeted search with Alston. After a few telephone interviews, I was asked to interview in the main offices, where all senior staff of various departments interviewed me at separate times. The interviewers were a varied group of international managers, mostly from Europe. The questions were geared to find out the scope of experience and willingness to take on the job responsibility. After each step the HR recruiter provided feedback on the reactions to each interview. the office atmosphere felt informal as did the management team that interviewed me. The best advice is to be prepared for the interview, knowing the company and yourself. Honesty is the best policy.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiations during the economic stage were based on trying to get the lowest possible salary. To achieve this the company insisted in knowing my previous employer compensation. At this stage I insisted such information was confidential and instead, communicated my expectation rather than my salary at the time. I was ready to walk away if the offer was less than I stated. This was not capricious, but rather based on comparable salaries for comparable position and experience. My advice is to know what your value is, and be ready to walk away if the economic issue takes too long to be settled, as this is an indication of the corporate attitude to compensation. If you settle for less, expect less thru your entire career as the largest gain in salary is obtained when changing employers, not as time passes in your current job.

Worked for Alstom Power? Contribute to the Community!