Altair Engineering

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.7

Manufacturing Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altair Engineering.

Simple laid back. Included facility tour.

IOS Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Altair Engineering.

had a phone convo with a recruiter, and scheduled an onsite interview.

Software Integrity Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Altair Engineering.

Phone interview, pretty normal process. I could even say it is a little casual. Just ask about your availability, knowledge or opinion of Altair's products and some related work experience.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altair Engineering in April 2011.

Found Altair through an online job board. Met with an employee and one of the leads for the subsidiary I eventually was hired in at. Interviewing was relatively painless as we all shared a common background. Hiring took longer than expected because of the bureaucratic process. They were not very flexible in terms of additional requests and accommodations, but it was still a step up for me so I accepted anyway.

Salary required little negotiation but some of the other requests in terms of equipment and workstation were denied.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altair Engineering in November 2010.

The interview took about an hour and it was the manager, HR, and I.

CAD Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altair Engineering in May 2009.

The initial contact was only a skills tests, it was a one hour test in which you had to complete an entire solid part on Catia. After which they would call you. They had collected resumes at a job fair and called everyone in to test. So, they were testing 100's for 1 job.

Interview Questions
    • Never got to the questions portion. Only the CAD test   View Answer

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Altair Engineering in April 2008.

I found the position on a Thursday on a job board (either The Ladders or Monster, I can't remember which) and applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter within 3-5 minutes of applying and had around a 30-45 minute phone call with her.

She forwarded me on to the hiring manager (a VP) who called me that afternoon. I spoke to him about my experience and expectations and his for around an hour or so. He then set up a panel interview with members of the local office for the next day.

This interview was a panel interview with 5 people, three in-person and 2 on the phone. The questions ranged from my technical background (generally since I would not be working as an engineer) and my sales experience. The interview was friendly and not at all set up to put me under undo stress.

The hiring VP indicated that he wanted me to fly out for interviews at their world headquarters in Troy (I live in a different region of the US). I was on a plane the next Wednesday and interviewed with 8 people including the CEO the next day. All were 1:1 interviews with the exception of one which was 2:1. The interviews ranged from friendly and casual to tense and penetrating. All were unscripted with few if any prepared questions.

The interview with the President and CEO Jim Scapa was the most unpleasant due primarily to his interview style of "trying to figure out what motivates you and where you come from personally". He is extremely perceptive and his questions made me squirm. That being said, he was very professional and his questions were very, very good and not at all out-of-line.

Interview Questions
    • You look like you're searching for something. What do you need from this job that your other employers didn't give you?   View Answer
    They seem to have fairly well established ranges/comp packages for all of there employees so negotiation in regards to salary and other comp was fairly limited. I walked them through how and what I had been compensated in the past and what I was looking for, including my request for a signing bonus which was rejected (gotta ask right?).

My feeling is that although the company is medium-small sized (around $170M), they are still run with a very small company mentality. They seemed a bit surprised by the signing bonus question and by my interest in wanting to negotiate my variable component. The hiring manager was willing to consider my requests for a specific structure in variable comp and not resistant.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altair Engineering in September 2014.

I applied on job portal and then HR shortlisted my profile for interview. It included Technical + HR round altogether. Interview was easy. They asked simple c++ questions. It took only 20 mins.

Interview Questions
    • What is constructor?
      What are the STL?
      Complexity of search using vector.
      map vs Vector differentiate.
      Logic for highlighting a word from given file stream.
      Why you are looking for change.
      Tell me about yourself.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altair Engineering in December 2012.

Altair visited our campus 2-3 months before the actual placement process for pre-placement talk. In this, details about the company, job and hiring process was provided. After this a day before test was taken which contained basic physics and maths question. One part of it also had easy algorithms(no need of prior knowledge). After this shortlisted candidates invited for GD. Further selected candidates went through personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • General Algorithms and coding questions. I had no knowledge of algorithms and coding but even then I cleared this interview. Basically what they are looking for is the aptitude for coding.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altair Engineering.

interview process is bit lengthy. first screening will be done on telephone and then a face to face for half a day where 3-4 people (Sr. QA, QA Manager, dev manager, Director) will be taking technical/non-techincal rounds. if person is not available for face to face then a skype interview is taken as per the convenience. This is then followed by one more round where US team manager would be doing further technical/ non-technical assessment.
    overall good people, make you comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • problem question given on server-client communication and expected to debug the failure   Answer Question