Altair Engineering

16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Intern Interview

Manufacturing Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altair Engineering.

Interview Details – Simple laid back. Included facility tour.

Interview Question – The regular questions. No surprise twists.   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Troy, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altair Engineering in April 2011.

Interview Details – Found Altair through an online job board. Met with an employee and one of the leads for the subsidiary I eventually was hired in at. Interviewing was relatively painless as we all shared a common background. Hiring took longer than expected because of the bureaucratic process. They were not very flexible in terms of additional requests and accommodations, but it was still a step up for me so I accepted anyway.

Negotiation Details – Salary required little negotiation but some of the other requests in terms of equipment and workstation were denied.

IOS Engineering Interview

IOS Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Altair Engineering.

Interview Details – had a phone convo with a recruiter, and scheduled an onsite interview.

Interview Question – They asked me to implement a parser.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Integrity Intern Interview

Software Integrity Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Altair Engineering.

Interview Details – Phone interview, pretty normal process. I could even say it is a little casual. Just ask about your availability, knowledge or opinion of Altair's products and some related work experience.

Interview Question – Describe where you could improve Hypermesh   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Troy, MI

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Altair Engineering in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview took about an hour and it was the manager, HR, and I.

Interview Question – Tell me something that I will remember you by/   Answer Question

CAD Designer Interview

CAD Designer
Troy, MI

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Altair Engineering in May 2009.

Interview Details – The initial contact was only a skills tests, it was a one hour test in which you had to complete an entire solid part on Catia. After which they would call you. They had collected resumes at a job fair and called everyone in to test. So, they were testing 100's for 1 job.

Interview Question – Never got to the questions portion. Only the CAD test   View Answer

Director of Business Development Interview

Director of Business Development
Troy, MI

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Altair Engineering in April 2008.

Interview Details – I found the position on a Thursday on a job board (either The Ladders or Monster, I can't remember which) and applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter within 3-5 minutes of applying and had around a 30-45 minute phone call with her.

She forwarded me on to the hiring manager (a VP) who called me that afternoon. I spoke to him about my experience and expectations and his for around an hour or so. He then set up a panel interview with members of the local office for the next day.

This interview was a panel interview with 5 people, three in-person and 2 on the phone. The questions ranged from my technical background (generally since I would not be working as an engineer) and my sales experience. The interview was friendly and not at all set up to put me under undo stress.

The hiring VP indicated that he wanted me to fly out for interviews at their world headquarters in Troy (I live in a different region of the US). I was on a plane the next Wednesday and interviewed with 8 people including the CEO the next day. All were 1:1 interviews with the exception of one which was 2:1. The interviews ranged from friendly and casual to tense and penetrating. All were unscripted with few if any prepared questions.

The interview with the President and CEO Jim Scapa was the most unpleasant due primarily to his interview style of "trying to figure out what motivates you and where you come from personally". He is extremely perceptive and his questions made me squirm. That being said, he was very professional and his questions were very, very good and not at all out-of-line.

Interview Question – You look like you're searching for something. What do you need from this job that your other employers didn't give you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They seem to have fairly well established ranges/comp packages for all of there employees so negotiation in regards to salary and other comp was fairly limited. I walked them through how and what I had been compensated in the past and what I was looking for, including my request for a signing bonus which was rejected (gotta ask right?).

My feeling is that although the company is medium-small sized (around $170M), they are still run with a very small company mentality. They seemed a bit surprised by the signing bonus question and by my interest in wanting to negotiate my variable component. The hiring manager was willing to consider my requests for a specific structure in variable comp and not resistant.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altair Engineering in December 2012.

Interview Details – Altair visited our campus 2-3 months before the actual placement process for pre-placement talk. In this, details about the company, job and hiring process was provided. After this a day before test was taken which contained basic physics and maths question. One part of it also had easy algorithms(no need of prior knowledge). After this shortlisted candidates invited for GD. Further selected candidates went through personal interview.

Interview Question – General Algorithms and coding questions. I had no knowledge of algorithms and coding but even then I cleared this interview. Basically what they are looking for is the aptitude for coding.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altair Engineering.

Interview Details – interview process is bit lengthy. first screening will be done on telephone and then a face to face for half a day where 3-4 people (Sr. QA, QA Manager, dev manager, Director) will be taking technical/non-techincal rounds. if person is not available for face to face then a skype interview is taken as per the convenience. This is then followed by one more round where US team manager would be doing further technical/ non-technical assessment.
overall good people, make you comfortable.

Interview Question – problem question given on server-client communication and expected to debug the failure   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altair Engineering in August 2012.

Interview Details – Telephonic Interview.

Interview Question – Cross questioning about my strenghs   Answer Question

Worked for Altair Engineering? Contribute to the Community!