Altera Interview Questions in Canada

3.1

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

received an email from Altera and asked for my available time for an in person interview. I had two 1-1 interviews each for half an hour. Each asked only one question but added more condition to the initial question after answering the previous question.

Interview Questions
    • the timing diagram, c coding of an average question and writing the corresponding verilog code   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Applied online

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Altera in March 2013.

Applied online, received interview a week later. Then I went to the Toronto office to have my interview. I was directly interviewed by my future manager and director. I had two 1-to-1 interview. One is about hardware and one is about software. About 2 weeks after the interview and received call from my manager about the offer. I accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • Give a two dimentional array of registors that contains intensity value. It is feed to you one registor per cycle. How to design a hardware using FPGA to calculate the average of the 9 registors including 8 that locate right beside the center one.   View Answer

IP Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

through school recruitment event: contacted to have lunch with several managers, then 1-on-1 interviews in series.

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Questions
    • Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Altera in July 2013.

It's their Toronto location where I applied. Applied through their website and got email to come for a first state interview time. Two persons interviewed me, both for ~half an hour. They ask both software and hardware questions in the first stage interview to see where the person fits well. Not sure if there are second/more stages interview for interns.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware: Build a digital circuit that outputs '1' when input is fed with 256 or more consecutive '1's
      Software: Write a function for a binary tree which prints all the values stored in the nodes

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

I got a on-site interview with two interviewers. One asked hardware questions and one asked Software questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1) 3-bit gray counter using D-flip flop
      2) basic questions about CMOS transistor level
      3) Reverse a linked-list in C++
      4) write an algorithm for a problem

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Within one month after only applying, got a email to arrange first round in-personal interview. During interview, meet with two interviewers. Each one gave a test on algorithm.

Interview Questions

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!