Altera Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I attended my university job fair where I dropped my resume. I got an email in about a month to attend an on campus interview. There was only one stage in the interview process - two back to back 30 minute on campus interviews.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite generic and purely algorithms and data structure related.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera.

Interview

It was 1 hour and 30 minutes interview. I was interviewed by three people. Most are algo questions, but there were definitely some hardware questiones. No easy. The experience was great.

Interview Questions

• Give a tree, each node has a integer value. Find paths which sum up to certain value. (Not necessarily to be a path from root to its leaf).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Multiple phone interviews and then on-site interviews with many people for around 5 hours. Tough questions on trees, graphs, and challenging problems that you need to design data structures and algorithms for them. I interviewed at other big companies before and got offers (all my on-site interviews resulted in offers expect this one), but altera interviews were overly difficult. I realized at some point during the interviews that this was not the best interview I had (although I did well). I guess it depends on the school you are coming from and the people who interview you. From speaking to people I know there, If you are a UofT graduate, then I would expect that the interviews would have been easier because they like UofT graduates. If you are coming from other schools, they tend to raise the bar. I am not sure if the interviewers discuss their questions before the interviews, but I felt that they don't. It depends largely on who interviews you and their expectations. So be well prepared and don't be sad if you don't get an offer!

Interview Questions

• -given a binary tree, and a number in each node. Select the nodes that will maximize the overall sum such that if a node is selected its parent and children cannot be selected. Return the sum of the selected nodes. - The buildings in a a city can be represented in 2D by linear array. Given an array that represents the heights of the buildings such that the value in a specific index in the array indicates the height of the building at that location in the city. How much rain will gather in the city if it rains?   2 Answers

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera.

Interview

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got mail back in one week, and the phone interview was set in about 3 days. It was a phone interview 1 hour long, there were two interviewrs 30 for each of them, they were very friendly. the interview was technical plus background screening.

Interview Questions

• 1. question obout low power design, start from easy question and after it was answerd the more complex details were added. 2. build FSM divider by 5, start from simple solution and after that more complex constraints and limitations were added   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Initial selection for interview is primarily based on GPA (relevant past experience also may come in handy). The interview comprises of 3, 30 min. technical interview segments based mostly on software and a bit of hardware if you have indicated interest in hardware. Based on your overall performance, they will either reject you, hire you or call you in for another round of interview more specific to the team you might be under consideration for.

Interview Questions

• timing analysis, component level diagram to achieve a mathematical operation (hardware) Recursive algorithm, optimization problem and a high level design problem (software)   Answer Question

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. First round contained two interviewers. First interviewer asked one big algorithm development question. Second interviewer asked several smaller software, algorithms, and digital hardware questions. Second round consisted of 6 different interviews with different managers from different teams. Questions ranged from software, digital hardware and transistor modelling. Most emphasis was on software and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of stock prices throughout a day, develop and algorithm that finds the optimal point to buy and sell the stock given you can only buy and sell once.   2 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through the university website and I got personal interview for this position. The interview was 1:1 interview. Without any behavioral questions, I was asked for a number of technical questions such as how to implement gray code by logic gates, and how to perform a computation on two sets of data stream.

Interview Questions

• You are just asked for technical questions without any behavioral questions.   Answer Question

PEY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume at UofT's career fair, get contacted after 2 weeks. (I think they order the interviews based on GPA. If your GPA is less than 3.5, it's not likely that you'll get one interview) I got a message for second interview a week from the first one.

Interview Questions

• Pick a thing and describe how it works   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, the pay is competitive between HW companies.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I sent and received all correspondence through email, and was contacted about a week or two after I gave them my resume. I was invited to an on-site interview (Toronto office). The office was quiet, casual-ish. The people I ran into/observed were friendly, polite, and helpful. The building itself had a very 'serious business' vibe though.

Interview Questions

• Considering I was interviewing for a software position, I did not expect to have to answer hardware questions (which was my mistake, in retrospect). Interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 1/2 hour sessions with different employees.   Answer Question