Altera

Updated Feb 10, 2015
Updated Feb 10, 2015

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in May 2014.

At first, 30 min phone interview. The interviewer is the group manager. And then about one week later, he scheduled a video Interview. It lasted about two hours. In total four group members.

Interview Questions
  • Questions in my resume.
    FIFO full/empty
    Static timing analysis
    Synthesis

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Altera

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in February 2014.

Met the team leader at school's career fair. They called me to set up an onsite interview but I did not receive a confirmation till 3 days before. The interview itself was technical transistor-related questions and a little more in depth discussion of projects on my resume. You need to have your technical knowledge at your fingertips to do well.
    Overall, okay interview, the company culture itself did not seem to impress me much. Out of the 6 interviewers, 3 did not show up because they had other "commitments". One of the interviewers kept texting while speaking to me which just appeared downright disrespectful.

Interview Questions
    • Can you draw a schematic for the entire 3 stage Analog amplifier you designed as part of your class ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera in January 2013.

2-3 Phone interviews. Go over the basics like data structures, verilog basics, discuss resume, your projects. Will test on things that are odd skill sets on your resume or an odd course, just to see if you actually have taken it or gained the skill set or if you are bluffing.

Interview Questions
    • Asked things about databases although it was design engg position. this was because i had sql server on my resume. went over power and cmos questions, which i was not very much prepared as it was mostly a software position.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. If they don't give relocation, you can negotiate and they might budge.

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in March 2011.

The interview consisted of basic digital design questions and questions from the projects described on the resume. The on site interview consisted of 4 rounds. Since the position was for IP core development, verilog was the main area of interest.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in February 2013.

I was contacted by email for an in person interview. The interview was two consecutive sessions and took 1.5 hours in total. They told me that they will notify me for another phone interview and the final on the site interview. The questions were straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was to separate valid words in a string given a dictionary.   Answer Question
    • The second question was to tell were to hit a bowling ball to maximize the score earned assuming the ball hits k pins and each pin has a score.   View Answers (2)

Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Altera in March 2011.

First phone interview, asked about verilog and some basic concepts.
    Second phone interview focus on the background.

Design Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in March 2010.

Very efficiente staff, in a few days everyhing was ready for the interview.
    The questions go from the easy to the difficult ones.
    You will notice different levels of agressivenes depending on the interviewer.
    -Indian interviewer was very very agressive... high voice volume. Wanted ultra precise answers.-
    -Asian interviewers were much more relaxed and talkative, nice guy.
    -Iranian interviewer was straight to the point but very polite, approximate answer was fine.

Interview Questions
    • PLL block, transfer function, stability.
      Phase or frequency detector?? Indian guy picky about these two.

View Answer
    Not really, the offer is usually reasonable.