Altera

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.2

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied in the university career fair, and got the phone interview several weeks later. There were two rounds to recruit applicants. During the interview the recruiter talked about some general works to be done during the internship, and asked several technical questions to check my qualifications. Because I did not behave that well, I was rejected a week after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a finite state machine by Verilog HDL and C language   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met at a career fair. I went for an onsite interview. I had 5 interviews in roughly 4 hour. The questions asked were both technical and behavioral but mainly technical. It really depends on who is interviewing you. Be prepared to the interviewer to bump on a previous answer to ask a new question, be relax and most importantly be confident!

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to help the company solve its problems?   Answer Question

Software Design Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera.

2 technical phone interviews for 1 hour duration each, followed by a call and email from HR. Got a call from one of the Employees, he explained to me the skills they required and proceeded immediately to ask technical questions. This was followed by another technical interview from the Hiring co-coordinator. Questions regarding projects on resume, C programming, matlab, verilog, DSP, Digital Design and Computer Architecture !

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the internal system of a day to day electronic device such as a refrigerator or a television   Answer Question
    Great Competitive salary. No negotiations

Design Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

Phone interview - 2 rounds
    1st round - Manager: Basic questions based on resume: SRAM Design, Challenges faced during the project. Drawbacks of increasing wire lengths.
    Programming online and submit the source code.
    2nd round: Questions were on the programs that I had written.
    Behavioral questionnaire to be filled.
    Overall process took 2-3 weeks.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in February 2014.

Met the team leader at school's career fair. They called me to set up an onsite interview but I did not receive a confirmation till 3 days before. The interview itself was technical transistor-related questions and a little more in depth discussion of projects on my resume. You need to have your technical knowledge at your fingertips to do well.
    Overall, okay interview, the company culture itself did not seem to impress me much. Out of the 6 interviewers, 3 did not show up because they had other "commitments". One of the interviewers kept texting while speaking to me which just appeared downright disrespectful.

Interview Questions
    • Can you draw a schematic for the entire 3 stage Analog amplifier you designed as part of your class ?   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera in February 2014.

My advisor had referred me for the position. Received an email for scheduling a telephonic interview. The interview last for an hour or so. I was asked about my work experience and projects. The interviewer dod not ask any technical question from projects, it was more of what I did. He expalined the work in his team and though my skills and experience did not match any of those. (Though is was somewhat similar). I was asked just one question on writing a verilog code for a simple state machine. Wasn't asked any more questions. I wrote the code too quickly and thought he wouldn't like me to keep him waiting for too long and will also be helping me in correcting it. He then gave hints for correcting it after that. But I think he expected it to be right in first go.

Interview Questions
    • Writing a code for a state machine on telephonic interview.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2013.

I applied online through Altera career website. Received an email from senior engineer a month later to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was a typical go over you resume and you educational experiences in digital system. Interviewer was up front about my experience and rejected me professional on the phone. The interviewer did not ask if I had any questions for him or the position, so I was left with a bitter feeling.

SAP Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Altera in May 2013.

Too long interview process, you never know for what you will be kicked off

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in April 2013.

Had two phone interviews, neither of which I think would have been difficult for a prepared candidate. However, this was my first interview experience and, as a silly college freshman who had just decided to pursue the computer science major, I was thoroughly unprepared at the time.

I don't remember the details, but as far as I recall the interviews went like this:

First phone interview(1h30):
    Spent maybe fifteen minutes to a half an hour asking some behavioral questions and explaining what his role was: what classes? Why computer science? Etc

Then several simple brainteasers and coding questions: the common find a loop in a linked list, flipping a stack of pancakes so that it ends with largest on the bottom to smallest on top, and the number of rounds in a tennis tournament with n teams (log2n). I think there were two more that were slightly more difficult than these.

One coding question with a shared document online: something about 0s and 1s in matrices, but I don't really remember.

Second phone interview(30 min):
    Went straight to coding on a shared document.
    Was asked to write a for loop to add numbers one to a million, and to reverse a string in-place.