Altera

81 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Engineering Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of two stages, both 1:1 (6 interviews total). They didn't seem interested in discussing my past projects and dived straight into the usual white board programming questions. The questions were stimulating and I was able to eventually answer the questions. They have some interesting projects going on.

Interview Question – Advanced data structures, sorting and tree traversals   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pros: Great location in downtown Toronto; free drinks and nice office.
Cons: (Biggest for me) Most of the projects, while interesting didn't seem related to my past experience and I was unwilling to move away from my technical niche.

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in November 2012.

Interview Details – First round includes two half-an-hour interviews with a software engineer and a hardware engineer. Second round includes a group lunch and five individual interviews with senior managers, half an hour each. Most questions are technical. People are nice and the entire process is efficient and professional.

Interview Question – How to design a snake and ladder game   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in October 2012.

Interview Details – Got contacted via phone. 2 phone interviews
- Find common ancestor in binary tree
- Binary grey code counter
- Clock domain crossing

Interview Question – Find common ancestor in binary tree
Setup hold problems
  Answer Question

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email for a first round interview. Interview was broken into two 30 mins sessions with two separate interviewers. Then I was invited for another round which lasted for 4 hours.

Interview Questions

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Advanced Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Met at career fair, gave resume and told interests...A few weeks later got a call from them, set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well: learned about the product line, the interviewer asked about my interests and a few things about my resume. At the end asked a digital design question rebuilding a flip flop using additional logic. The next week was asked to come in for on site interview. The onsite interview was about 4 hours, interviewed with 6 people for about 45 minutes each (1 behavioral, 4 technical, then met with HR), then gave a 20 minute presentation at the end on a project I had previously done. Got a call the next day offering the position. Really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Design in hardware a random number generator   View Answer
  • Design an and/or gate from a 2-1 mux   View Answer
  • How to tell if a linked list loops back to itself   View Answer
  • Simplify the given logic schematic   View Answer
  • Using a binary tree, write code to find how many nodes are in the given range   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Let them know other offers, they beat them

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got a on-site interview with two interviewers. One asked hardware questions and one asked Software questions.

Interview Question – 1) 3-bit gray counter using D-flip flop
2) basic questions about CMOS transistor level
3) Reverse a linked-list in C++
4) write an algorithm for a problem
  Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Question – Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

IP Design Engineer Interview

IP Design Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

Interview Details – through school recruitment event: contacted to have lunch with several managers, then 1-on-1 interviews in series.

Interview Question – graph traversal   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at Altera in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received interview a week later. Then I went to the Toronto office to have my interview. I was directly interviewed by my future manager and director. I had two 1-to-1 interview. One is about hardware and one is about software. About 2 weeks after the interview and received call from my manager about the offer. I accepted it.

Interview Question – Give a two dimentional array of registors that contains intensity value. It is feed to you one registor per cycle. How to design a hardware using FPGA to calculate the average of the 9 registors including 8 that locate right beside the center one.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in October 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR to setup an interview for an intern position. Most of the interview at campus take about 1 hour. This interview lasted for over 4 hours, with six interviewers. Many of the interview questions covered materials on digital electronics

Interview Question – timing analysis of a circuit
What does this circuit perform
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Altera

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altera interview questions and advice. All 81 interview reviews posted anonymously by Altera employees and interview candidates.