Altera

Updated Feb 10, 2015

3.1

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in August 2010.

Interview consisted of two stages, both 1:1 (6 interviews total). They didn't seem interested in discussing my past projects and dived straight into the usual white board programming questions. The questions were stimulating and I was able to eventually answer the questions. They have some interesting projects going on.

Interview Questions

Pros: Great location in downtown Toronto; free drinks and nice office.
    Cons: (Biggest for me) Most of the projects, while interesting didn't seem related to my past experience and I was unwilling to move away from my technical niche.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2012.

First round includes two half-an-hour interviews with a software engineer and a hardware engineer. Second round includes a group lunch and five individual interviews with senior managers, half an hour each. Most questions are technical. People are nice and the entire process is efficient and professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera in October 2014.

First round has 3 interviews.
    1 math software question
    1 datastructure software question
    1 High Level Hardware design question to implement arithmetic operations

Math question:
    int func(double reference, double target,int& m, int& n)
    Choose integers m and n such that it gives an output in integer such that
    target is closest to reference as possible.

Data Structure software question
    See below

High Level Hardware Design

Design a hardware that does the function below

f(n) = 3n +1 if n is odd
    n/2 if n is even given adder blocks and multiplication block

Interview Questions
    • Software Question:
      Design a data structure such that, given a key, output the values.
      Given values, output all key with this values

View Answer

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Altera in March 2011.

First will be the technical interview. You need to be familiar with FPGA technology, timing diagram, simplification of complicated get diagram. You need to be technically strong in digital application.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect the output of a logic diagram when you change to frequency domain   Answer Question
    You need to list down all the compensation you received in order to negotiate with HR.

FPGA Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I applied through the university website and I got personal interview for this position. The interview was 1:1 interview. Without any behavioral questions, I was asked for a number of technical questions such as how to implement gray code by logic gates, and how to perform a computation on two sets of data stream.

Interview Questions
    • You are just asked for technical questions without any behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in September 2014.

I applied through career fair. One week later I was invited to interview. It took place in September 2014 at Altera company. There were two 1-1 technical interviews. The first one was about hardware and the second one was about software. The software ones were the hardest ones. I sugesst anyone should be completely prepared for the interview.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Altera in March 2011.

Phone interview followed by on site. Lots of rounds of interviews. At the end there will be a presentation to see how well you communicate.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you digital design questions that are tricky and tough to solve in 45 mins. They dont expect the correct answer but expect you to go in the right direction in solving the problem.   Answer Question
    I didnt since I was an NCG. But you need to get one or two offers and then negotiate.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2012.

Got contacted via phone. 2 phone interviews
    - Find common ancestor in binary tree
    - Binary grey code counter
    - Clock domain crossing

Interview Questions
    • Find common ancestor in binary tree
      Setup hold problems

Answer Question

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in August 2012.

I was contacted by email for a first round interview. Interview was broken into two 30 mins sessions with two separate interviewers. Then I was invited for another round which lasted for 4 hours.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

Met at career fair, gave resume and told interests...A few weeks later got a call from them, set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well: learned about the product line, the interviewer asked about my interests and a few things about my resume. At the end asked a digital design question rebuilding a flip flop using additional logic. The next week was asked to come in for on site interview. The onsite interview was about 4 hours, interviewed with 6 people for about 45 minutes each (1 behavioral, 4 technical, then met with HR), then gave a 20 minute presentation at the end on a project I had previously done. Got a call the next day offering the position. Really nice people.

Interview Questions
    • Design in hardware a random number generator   View Answer
    • Design an and/or gate from a 2-1 mux   View Answer
    • How to tell if a linked list loops back to itself   View Answer
    • Simplify the given logic schematic   View Answer
    • Using a binary tree, write code to find how many nodes are in the given range   Answer Question
    Let them know other offers, they beat them