Altera Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
87 interviews

3.1

Systems Software Intern Interview

Multiple technical interviews, no behavioural interviews.
    Asked me to write code in any language I want on a whiteboard.
    Then hardware questions... most are easy but one tripped me up. Didn't get an offer

50 words limit lol please

Intern Interview

The hiring manager was so helpful and the interview was as smooth as it could be

FPGA Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Altera.

The interview lasts about an hour. The first half is hardware questions including designing a divider and a efficient grey code counter. The second half is software interview including finding the second large value in a sequence

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2010.

Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Questions
    • As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   View Answer
    Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met at a career fair. I went for an onsite interview. I had 5 interviews in roughly 4 hour. The questions asked were both technical and behavioral but mainly technical. It really depends on who is interviewing you. Be prepared to the interviewer to bump on a previous answer to ask a new question, be relax and most importantly be confident!

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to help the company solve its problems?   Answer Question

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

1 phone screen followed by onsite interviews

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Altera in April 2010.

I went through the recruitment process using an agent. Arranging the interview was easy and efficient, time, location etc etc.

The company had just one interview which was beyond what one would considerable reasonable. It was over 5 hours from 10 am to 5 pm, with 30 minutes for lunch. It involved being interviewed by 6 different interviewers. The first interviewer was non technical (the manager), the 4 in the middle were engineering staff, all technical followed by a final HR interview. Non of the interview was difficult, fairly easy, the engineering staff and management were not trained in interview techniques and it came across as muddled and overly simplistic and unnecessary with allot of duplication and waffle.

The correct client can be decided in 5 minutes for an expect in his/her field, this company completely lacked any idea of how to spotting good talent

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was related to timing closure of an FPGA.   Answer Question
    It was easy, the agent told me the salary they would likely accept and I got it plus a large amount of stock options and relocation expenses.

SAP Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Altera in May 2013.

Too long interview process, you never know for what you will be kicked off

Applications Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in November 2013.

I applied online through Altera career website. Received an email from senior engineer a month later to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was a typical go over you resume and you educational experiences in digital system. Interviewer was up front about my experience and rejected me professional on the phone. The interviewer did not ask if I had any questions for him or the position, so I was left with a bitter feeling.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in April 2013.

Had two phone interviews, neither of which I think would have been difficult for a prepared candidate. However, this was my first interview experience and, as a silly college freshman who had just decided to pursue the computer science major, I was thoroughly unprepared at the time.

I don't remember the details, but as far as I recall the interviews went like this:

First phone interview(1h30):
    Spent maybe fifteen minutes to a half an hour asking some behavioral questions and explaining what his role was: what classes? Why computer science? Etc

Then several simple brainteasers and coding questions: the common find a loop in a linked list, flipping a stack of pancakes so that it ends with largest on the bottom to smallest on top, and the number of rounds in a tennis tournament with n teams (log2n). I think there were two more that were slightly more difficult than these.

One coding question with a shared document online: something about 0s and 1s in matrices, but I don't really remember.

Second phone interview(30 min):
    Went straight to coding on a shared document.
    Was asked to write a for loop to add numbers one to a million, and to reverse a string in-place.

Interview Questions

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!