Altera

Updated Jan 10, 2015
Updated Jan 10, 2015

3.2

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

A full day interview process. Tour in the campus, meeting the directors of each department. My position was for Software Intern. It was about 1 hour and a very comfortable one in a cafeteria.

Interview Questions
    • Given a graph of a stock, find the buying and selling points to attain best profit.   Answer Question

R&D IC Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

I applied the position through online recruitment from the official website. Took 2-3 weeks for them to call back and arrange interview. I have gone through two interviews (R&D IC design engineer and IP design engineer) on two different dates. After one week I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty simple, mostly on getting to know about you, mostly things on the resume.

Technical questions were those typical ones, like define set up time and hold time, define PMOS and NMOS

Answer Question

Functional Safety and Embedded Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2014.

Process started by their internal recruiter picking me up from my Linkedin profile. The first stage was a telephonic interview with the Manager, whom was very nice asked a lot about the Functional safety stuff and was pretty satisfied. Then i was called up by an Altera functional safety expert from SAN JOSE and again a useful discussion with a real polite to inquire about my real experience with functional safety and FPGA design. Then i was called for a face to face, with four interviews and a full day. Lot of technical stuff from FPGA to Functional safety to software programming as the role was quite diversified. In last a long HR interview about previous experience motivation, your best project and worst project sort of questions

Interview Questions
    • yes was given a document with multiple subgraphs with tree like structures and connected in different combinations and was asked to count the number of graphs using a linked list sort of structure. Was unexpected did made few suggestion but eventually come up with a solution with the help of the interviewer.   View Answer

PEY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I submitted my resume at UofT's career fair, get contacted after 2 weeks. (I think they order the interviews based on GPA. If your GPA is less than 3.5, it's not likely that you'll get one interview)
    I got a message for second interview a week from the first one.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a thing and describe how it works   View Answer
    No negotiation, the pay is competitive between HW companies.

FPGA Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I applied through the university website and I got personal interview for this position. The interview was 1:1 interview. Without any behavioral questions, I was asked for a number of technical questions such as how to implement gray code by logic gates, and how to perform a computation on two sets of data stream.

Interview Questions
    • You are just asked for technical questions without any behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Altera in March 2011.

First will be the technical interview. You need to be familiar with FPGA technology, timing diagram, simplification of complicated get diagram. You need to be technically strong in digital application.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect the output of a logic diagram when you change to frequency domain   Answer Question
    You need to list down all the compensation you received in order to negotiate with HR.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera in October 2014.

First round has 3 interviews.
    1 math software question
    1 datastructure software question
    1 High Level Hardware design question to implement arithmetic operations

Math question:
    int func(double reference, double target,int& m, int& n)
    Choose integers m and n such that it gives an output in integer such that
    target is closest to reference as possible.

Data Structure software question
    See below

High Level Hardware Design

Design a hardware that does the function below

f(n) = 3n +1 if n is odd
    n/2 if n is even given adder blocks and multiplication block

Interview Questions
    • Software Question:
      Design a data structure such that, given a key, output the values.
      Given values, output all key with this values

View Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied in the university career fair, and got the phone interview several weeks later. There were two rounds to recruit applicants. During the interview the recruiter talked about some general works to be done during the internship, and asked several technical questions to check my qualifications. Because I did not behave that well, I was rejected a week after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a finite state machine by Verilog HDL and C language   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

Initial selection for interview is primarily based on GPA (relevant past experience also may come in handy). The interview comprises of 3, 30 min. technical interview segments based mostly on software and a bit of hardware if you have indicated interest in hardware. Based on your overall performance, they will either reject you, hire you or call you in for another round of interview more specific to the team you might be under consideration for.

Interview Questions
    • timing analysis, component level diagram to achieve a mathematical operation (hardware)
      Recursive algorithm, optimization problem and a high level design problem (software)

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table