Altera Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2015

3.1

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Met at career fair, gave resume and told interests...A few weeks later got a call from them, set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well: learned about the product line, the interviewer asked about my interests and a few things about my resume. At the end asked a digital design question rebuilding a flip flop using additional logic. The next week was asked to come in for on site interview. The onsite interview was about 4 hours, interviewed with 6 people for about 45 minutes each (1 behavioral, 4 technical, then met with HR), then gave a 20 minute presentation at the end on a project I had previously done. Got a call the next day offering the position. Really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Design in hardware a random number generator   1 Answer
    • Design an and/or gate from a 2-1 mux   1 Answer
    • How to tell if a linked list loops back to itself   1 Answer
    • Simplify the given logic schematic   1 Answer
    • Using a binary tree, write code to find how many nodes are in the given range   Answer Question

Negotiation

Let them know other offers, they beat them

Web Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Submitted online and heard back from their recruiter in about a week. Two days later I had a 30 minutes phone interview. The following Monday I had an onsite interview for about 2.5 hours in the morning. A total of 3 people, 45 minutes each. Within 3 days, I was asked to come back for 2nd round. The second round was with the Sr Manager for about 30 minutes. A week goes by and I haven't heard so I email back. At this time I though my chances were pretty slim knowing that they were very aggressive in the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Not anything too technical that I couldn't anwser. Some are very general and some are related to my past experiences like "tell me a time....."   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I had a quick call with the hiring manager and was called onboard for interviews with 4 people including one with HR. I felt the interviews went well, but then wasnt replied to, until I checked with the HR. She asked me to wait another week.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, basic BA questions, what will you do if you face conflicting requirements.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

I had applied through an employee and got a call in 1 month time
    Phone Interviews-5 in total including HR interview in the end
    3 technical interviews from managers of different teams
    Interview was of average difficulty[on the easier side],mostly on basic C[keywords],structure,inheritance in C++,OS,computer Architecture
    Process took 2 weeks

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Senior Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was contacted bu an agency (headhunter) that had talked to me a few months ago about a different role, thinking I would be a good fit for this Senior InfoSec Analyst role. Always up for investigating a new opportunity, I went along for the ride.

The headhunter quickly set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager, which focused on buzzword bingo – APT, DLP, and the like. Nothing specific or technical, more of a review of my background and how it matched with their needs. Seems this is a new department, he had only two direct reports and was looking for an experienced, senior person to help grow and mentor the team. The conversation went well, and was scheduled for an onsite.

The four hour scheduled onsite was a mix of individual and panel interviews, including one via telephone with a remote worker. Plenty of opportunities for a bathroom break, and for a bottle of water. The HR staffing person and I had a short conversation, and then a short tour of the facility. It was really cool to see the fab testing rooms (from the picture windows of course), helped pull the picture together of the organization and my research prior. The HR staffing person specifically pointed out they painted many of the walls different colors due to previous interviewees commenting on how drab the office environment looked. No mention of how the drab cube farms still gave the office environment the typical drone feel.

The technical interviews were average overall, some did not give an opportunity to ask questions where others provided ample opportunities. Though I did note that multiple times individuals mentioned how much of a challenge it was working with & for their engineers – the chip makers and designers. Gave the impression that the design engineers ruled the roost around this place.

Up until meeting the two other analysts, I could assume the day was going well. Quickly it was evident they were green and inexperienced – both in their interviewing and as analysts. One barely asked any questions, the other asking on topics that was buzzword bingo or on topics that were barely relevant to the role. When my answers were not meeting her satisfaction, she started getting visibly frustrated – seems my answers were above and beyond what they were used to is my only guess. When leaving, her snarky 'Good Luck' clued me in that there was no chance in hell – and if I was hired, she would be a HR complaint waiting to happen.

Finally meeting with the hiring manager in person in closing the afternoon, I tried to address some of the issues and concerns his young analysts brought forth. Seems the company does not have a CISO, he reports to the CIO (good luck getting priorities and funding). The company had some major InfoSec incidents last year, so in response they hired him and are starting to put a team together. They are investing in some tools, he just hired the two new analysts, and is putting together a strategy on how to head forward. The meager training budget per employee for the year restricts what they can improve upon, but

My impression was that they are another company with little to no InfoSec program, throwing some finding at a small team and a bunch of tools to “solve their problems.” Let me quote Bruce Schneier: "If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology." They are looking for InfoSec engineers/sysadmins, not analysts. This organization has a long way to grow in their InfoSec posture; and after my experience talking with them for an afternoon I have no interest in helping them find their way. I would also caution anyone interviewing for these roles to do the same.

Interview Questions

• How to configure a network router from the CLI?   1 Answer
    • What experience do you have with Data Loss Prevention (DLP)?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I got the interview call through employee referral program. The screening interview was onsite, no phone screening interview. The interview lasted for about an hour. Interviewer told me about position and the team. He asked me a couple of questions on C programming and then asked me to write two programs mentioned below.

Interview Questions

• An array contains some random positive and negative numbers. Arrange array elements such that all positive elements are on left side, don't care about negative elements. Number of operations allowed - O(n)   3 Answers
    • Reverse the linked list.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Was for intern position so asked basic stuff about digital design and verilog. gate level based implementation.

IP Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I was referred by my friend. After which hiring manager called me for phone interview. It went well. I was then called for on-site interview:

- On-site interview went for ~ 5- 6 hrs.
    - Interviewed by 4-5 individuals.
    - questions were mostly technical, touching on these areas:
    - ASIC Implementation flow.
    - What projects you worked on, describe how you implemented the chip/design.
    - TCL related questions. (like lappend etc..)
    - How will you analyze and fix setup time, hold time.
    - Routing using higher metal layers.

Interview Questions

• How will you arrange FPGA IPs on die and connect those.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Tech Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Everyone had different view and was looking for different skills. I had to ask the hiring manager, what is the position and what is the role. I was told particular role and When I joined I found out my role to be slightly different. It did not match exactly hat was told to me. In six month they had re-org and I found out that I was pushed to non-technical job. Ultimately I left the company.

Interview Questions

• Can you join within a week, before even discussing the offer?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I was asked just basic questions on my resume. I discussed my experience and the courses I took at my University.