Altera Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Altera in May 2010.

I initially received information about some available positions with this company through a contact at an FCCM conference. I provided this contact with my resume and research statement, and he forwarded my information to the team managers. A team manager contacted me through email to set up a phone interview. The interview with the manager went okay, but he didn't seem familiar with several components of my research. After discussing my research, he asked me to construct several algorithms for binary trees. I answered all the questions correctly, but for two of the questions he had to clarify some of what he said because I misunderstood what he was referring to.

Interview Questions
    • After I gave him a solution to construct an algorithm to count the leaves in a tree (which was correct), he asked me to do the problem again another way.   View Answer

Member of Technical Staff, Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Altera in March 2010.

Interviewer very polite and helping. I was asked below questions.
    "
    Describe circuit operation of level shifter & mux.
    Basic question on PERL & spice modeling
    Relation between threshold voltage & temperature.
    Why do you want to leave your current job and want to work for altera.
    "

Did not receive any reply after on-site interview.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in November 2008.

Very technical but based on past experience

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2007.

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write tree traversals for your own tree data structure   Answer Question
    I'm not good at negotiating.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

received an email from Altera and asked for my available time for an in person interview. I had two 1-1 interviews each for half an hour. Each asked only one question but added more condition to the initial question after answering the previous question.

Interview Questions
    • the timing diagram, c coding of an average question and writing the corresponding verilog code   Answer Question

Systems Software Intern Interview

Multiple technical interviews, no behavioural interviews.
    Asked me to write code in any language I want on a whiteboard.
    Then hardware questions... most are easy but one tripped me up. Didn't get an offer

50 words limit lol please

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Altera in April 2010.

I went through the recruitment process using an agent. Arranging the interview was easy and efficient, time, location etc etc.

The company had just one interview which was beyond what one would considerable reasonable. It was over 5 hours from 10 am to 5 pm, with 30 minutes for lunch. It involved being interviewed by 6 different interviewers. The first interviewer was non technical (the manager), the 4 in the middle were engineering staff, all technical followed by a final HR interview. Non of the interview was difficult, fairly easy, the engineering staff and management were not trained in interview techniques and it came across as muddled and overly simplistic and unnecessary with allot of duplication and waffle.

The correct client can be decided in 5 minutes for an expect in his/her field, this company completely lacked any idea of how to spotting good talent

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was related to timing closure of an FPGA.   Answer Question
    It was easy, the agent told me the salary they would likely accept and I got it plus a large amount of stock options and relocation expenses.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Employee in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Altera in November 2012.

First level phone interview
    2nd level face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would program a chess game using object oriented design   View Answer