Altera

Updated Feb 10, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in July 2010.

Applied online, received a call from the hiring manager a few days later. Spoke w/ the hiring manager for a quick phone screen and we determined that I probably wouldn't be a good fit for the company. The challenges of working on the team sounded interesting, but I didn’t have the proper background for it. The interviewer was more interested in my college coursework and my choice in text editors than what I’ve done professionally. This felt a little short sighted, but it’s where the interview went for most of the time. My impression of the company is that it sounds like a typical large scale engineering business with lots of layers and lots of process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you recursively count the leaves on a binary tree?   View Answer
    • Tell me about your college coursework, what did you take, what did you learn   Answer Question
    • do you prefer emacs or vi   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in May 2010.

I initially received information about some available positions with this company through a contact at an FCCM conference. I provided this contact with my resume and research statement, and he forwarded my information to the team managers. A team manager contacted me through email to set up a phone interview. The interview with the manager went okay, but he didn't seem familiar with several components of my research. After discussing my research, he asked me to construct several algorithms for binary trees. I answered all the questions correctly, but for two of the questions he had to clarify some of what he said because I misunderstood what he was referring to.

Interview Questions
    • After I gave him a solution to construct an algorithm to count the leaves in a tree (which was correct), he asked me to do the problem again another way.   View Answer

Member of Technical Staff, Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Altera in March 2010.

Interviewer very polite and helping. I was asked below questions.
    "
    Describe circuit operation of level shifter & mux.
    Basic question on PERL & spice modeling
    Relation between threshold voltage & temperature.
    Why do you want to leave your current job and want to work for altera.
    "

Did not receive any reply after on-site interview.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera in February 2010.

Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Questions
    • As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   View Answer
    Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera in September 2009.

Not too difficult interview. Basic questions.

Vice President of Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altera in April 2009.

Interview with Sr. VP. Had an interview with CEO. Cold fish who couldn't have been more bored

Interview Questions
    • Please completely re-vamp something you were not hired to do and have no experience to do while completely alienating the people you where hired to please   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Altera in January 2009.

Objective and convenient.

Interview Questions
    Think about your future manager if he had enaugh experience to work with.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2008.

Very technical but based on past experience

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altera in September 2007.

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write tree traversals for your own tree data structure   Answer Question
    I'm not good at negotiating.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question