Altera

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at Altera in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received interview a week later. Then I went to the Toronto office to have my interview. I was directly interviewed by my future manager and director. I had two 1-to-1 interview. One is about hardware and one is about software. About 2 weeks after the interview and received call from my manager about the offer. I accepted it.

Interview Question – Give a two dimentional array of registors that contains intensity value. It is feed to you one registor per cycle. How to design a hardware using FPGA to calculate the average of the 9 registors including 8 that locate right beside the center one.   View Answer

IP Design Engineer Interview

IP Design Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

Interview Details – through school recruitment event: contacted to have lunch with several managers, then 1-on-1 interviews in series.

Interview Question – graph traversal   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Engineer Intern
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Question – Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Altera in July 2013.

Interview Details – It's their Toronto location where I applied. Applied through their website and got email to come for a first state interview time. Two persons interviewed me, both for ~half an hour. They ask both software and hardware questions in the first stage interview to see where the person fits well. Not sure if there are second/more stages interview for interns.

Interview Question – Hardware: Build a digital circuit that outputs '1' when input is fed with 256 or more consecutive '1's
Software: Write a function for a binary tree which prints all the values stored in the nodes
  Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal recruiter, and the initial conversation focussed on my experiences. Subsequently there was an on-site meeting, with a bit more depth into some part of my experiences, and a panel interview which involved some design and technical questions. Finally there was a much higher-level interview where discussions revolved around application characteristics. All in all a pretty good structure.

Interview Question – There was no particularly difficult question, but I found it a bit difficult to really understand what kind of role I was interviewing for! To be fair to the company, they were undergoing some strategic realignment and the role itself was kind of being slightly redefined as they were figuring out what they wanted to do internally.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ultimately proved not to be a good fit with my chosen career direction, but also from conversations with others in the industry I received some negative feedback about the company culture. It was a tempting offer, but on balance it didn't make sense for me.

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

Senior Verification Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Applied online and being called for interview within 2 days. First round of interview, manager are giving some background on their group and what is the job scope. The second round is technical interview with senior design engineer. Question asked : Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.

Interview Question – Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got a on-site interview with two interviewers. One asked hardware questions and one asked Software questions.

Interview Question – 1) 3-bit gray counter using D-flip flop
2) basic questions about CMOS transistor level
3) Reverse a linked-list in C++
4) write an algorithm for a problem
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details – Within one month after only applying, got a email to arrange first round in-personal interview. During interview, meet with two interviewers. Each one gave a test on algorithm.

Interview Question – find a missing element in array B compare to array A.   View Answers (2)

IP Design Engineer Interview

IP Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview where some fairly basic questions were asked, mostly on video processing (what the job was focused on) in hardware. Issues that might be encountered such as bandwidth, optimization of look-up tables for functions (such as sine), etc. Second was a number of face-to-face interviews, covering my motivation and, more importantly, my RTL skills.

Interview Question – Lots of issues dealing with RTL design of FSMs, BRAM, and the like. Also issues on interacting with DRAM.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – The interview was split into five 30 minute separate 1-on-1 interviews with managers or supervisors from different parts of the company. I was asked mostly technical questions, which ranged from being quite detailed (write some code to implement some algorithm) to being quite broad. There were no trick questions and no trivia questions. Everyone was very polite and nice.

Interview Question – Write code to find the critical path in a graph.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked during the interview about my salary expectations. The offer seemed quite good, so I accepted it without negotiating.