Altera Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
87 interviews

3.1

Product Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Altera.

Communication on the final year project done and the characteristic of diode (basic). Other is more on chatting session to understand your personality.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Applied online

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Altera in March 2013.

Applied online, received interview a week later. Then I went to the Toronto office to have my interview. I was directly interviewed by my future manager and director. I had two 1-to-1 interview. One is about hardware and one is about software. About 2 weeks after the interview and received call from my manager about the offer. I accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • Give a two dimentional array of registors that contains intensity value. It is feed to you one registor per cycle. How to design a hardware using FPGA to calculate the average of the 9 registors including 8 that locate right beside the center one.   View Answer

IP Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

through school recruitment event: contacted to have lunch with several managers, then 1-on-1 interviews in series.

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Questions
    • Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Altera in July 2013.

It's their Toronto location where I applied. Applied through their website and got email to come for a first state interview time. Two persons interviewed me, both for ~half an hour. They ask both software and hardware questions in the first stage interview to see where the person fits well. Not sure if there are second/more stages interview for interns.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware: Build a digital circuit that outputs '1' when input is fed with 256 or more consecutive '1's
      Software: Write a function for a binary tree which prints all the values stored in the nodes

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Altera.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter, and the initial conversation focussed on my experiences. Subsequently there was an on-site meeting, with a bit more depth into some part of my experiences, and a panel interview which involved some design and technical questions. Finally there was a much higher-level interview where discussions revolved around application characteristics. All in all a pretty good structure.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question, but I found it a bit difficult to really understand what kind of role I was interviewing for! To be fair to the company, they were undergoing some strategic realignment and the role itself was kind of being slightly redefined as they were figuring out what they wanted to do internally.   Answer Question

Ultimately proved not to be a good fit with my chosen career direction, but also from conversations with others in the industry I received some negative feedback about the company culture. It was a tempting offer, but on balance it didn't make sense for me.

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Applied online and being called for interview within 2 days. First round of interview, manager are giving some background on their group and what is the job scope. The second round is technical interview with senior design engineer. Question asked : Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.

Interview Questions
    • Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

I got a on-site interview with two interviewers. One asked hardware questions and one asked Software questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1) 3-bit gray counter using D-flip flop
      2) basic questions about CMOS transistor level
      3) Reverse a linked-list in C++
      4) write an algorithm for a problem

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Within one month after only applying, got a email to arrange first round in-personal interview. During interview, meet with two interviewers. Each one gave a test on algorithm.