Altera Interview Questions

3.1

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2008.

Very technical but based on past experience

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altera in September 2007.

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write tree traversals for your own tree data structure   Answer Question
    I'm not good at negotiating.

Human Resource Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Altera.

The whole interview is around 1 and half hour. The interview question is more or less starting from telling me about yourself. And why you want to join in our company. Also, why you choose this position which is not matched with your degree major.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question

R&D IC Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

I applied the position through online recruitment from the official website. Took 2-3 weeks for them to call back and arrange interview. I have gone through two interviews (R&D IC design engineer and IP design engineer) on two different dates. After one week I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty simple, mostly on getting to know about you, mostly things on the resume.

Technical questions were those typical ones, like define set up time and hold time, define PMOS and NMOS

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

Initial selection for interview is primarily based on GPA (relevant past experience also may come in handy). The interview comprises of 3, 30 min. technical interview segments based mostly on software and a bit of hardware if you have indicated interest in hardware. Based on your overall performance, they will either reject you, hire you or call you in for another round of interview more specific to the team you might be under consideration for.

Interview Questions
    • timing analysis, component level diagram to achieve a mathematical operation (hardware)
      Recursive algorithm, optimization problem and a high level design problem (software)

Answer Question

Functional Safety and Embedded Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2014.

Process started by their internal recruiter picking me up from my Linkedin profile. The first stage was a telephonic interview with the Manager, whom was very nice asked a lot about the Functional safety stuff and was pretty satisfied. Then i was called up by an Altera functional safety expert from SAN JOSE and again a useful discussion with a real polite to inquire about my real experience with functional safety and FPGA design. Then i was called for a face to face, with four interviews and a full day. Lot of technical stuff from FPGA to Functional safety to software programming as the role was quite diversified. In last a long HR interview about previous experience motivation, your best project and worst project sort of questions

Interview Questions
    • yes was given a document with multiple subgraphs with tree like structures and connected in different combinations and was asked to count the number of graphs using a linked list sort of structure. Was unexpected did made few suggestion but eventually come up with a solution with the help of the interviewer.   View Answer

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in November 2014.

Two rounds of interviews. First round contained two interviewers. First interviewer asked one big algorithm development question. Second interviewer asked several smaller software, algorithms, and digital hardware questions.

Second round consisted of 6 different interviews with different managers from different teams. Questions ranged from software, digital hardware and transistor modelling. Most emphasis was on software and algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of stock prices throughout a day, develop and algorithm that finds the optimal point to buy and sell the stock given you can only buy and sell once.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I sent and received all correspondence through email, and was contacted about a week or two after I gave them my resume. I was invited to an on-site interview (Toronto office). The office was quiet, casual-ish. The people I ran into/observed were friendly, polite, and helpful. The building itself had a very 'serious business' vibe though.

Interview Questions
    • Considering I was interviewing for a software position, I did not expect to have to answer hardware questions (which was my mistake, in retrospect). Interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 1/2 hour sessions with different employees.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera in October 2014.

First round has 3 interviews.
    1 math software question
    1 datastructure software question
    1 High Level Hardware design question to implement arithmetic operations

Math question:
    int func(double reference, double target,int& m, int& n)
    Choose integers m and n such that it gives an output in integer such that
    target is closest to reference as possible.

Data Structure software question
    See below

High Level Hardware Design

Design a hardware that does the function below

f(n) = 3n +1 if n is odd
    n/2 if n is even given adder blocks and multiplication block

Interview Questions
    • Software Question:
      Design a data structure such that, given a key, output the values.
      Given values, output all key with this values

View Answer