Altera Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from the hiring manager a few days later. Spoke w/ the hiring manager for a quick phone screen and we determined that I probably wouldn't be a good fit for the company. The challenges of working on the team sounded interesting, but I didn’t have the proper background for it. The interviewer was more interested in my college coursework and my choice in text editors than what I’ve done professionally. This felt a little short sighted, but it’s where the interview went for most of the time. My impression of the company is that it sounds like a typical large scale engineering business with lots of layers and lots of process.

Interview Questions

• How would you recursively count the leaves on a binary tree?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your college coursework, what did you take, what did you learn   Answer Question
    • do you prefer emacs or vi   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I initially received information about some available positions with this company through a contact at an FCCM conference. I provided this contact with my resume and research statement, and he forwarded my information to the team managers. A team manager contacted me through email to set up a phone interview. The interview with the manager went okay, but he didn't seem familiar with several components of my research. After discussing my research, he asked me to construct several algorithms for binary trees. I answered all the questions correctly, but for two of the questions he had to clarify some of what he said because I misunderstood what he was referring to.

Interview Questions

• After I gave him a solution to construct an algorithm to count the leaves in a tree (which was correct), he asked me to do the problem again another way.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff, Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Interviewer very polite and helping. I was asked below questions. " Describe circuit operation of level shifter & mux. Basic question on PERL & spice modeling Relation between threshold voltage & temperature. Why do you want to leave your current job and want to work for altera. " Did not receive any reply after on-site interview.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Questions

• As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Not too difficult interview. Basic questions.

Vice President of Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altera in April 2009.

Interview

Interview with Sr. VP. Had an interview with CEO. Cold fish who couldn't have been more bored

Interview Questions

• Please completely re-vamp something you were not hired to do and have no experience to do while completely alienating the people you where hired to please   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

Objective and convenient.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Think about your future manager if he had enaugh experience to work with.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

Very technical but based on past experience

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altera (Santa Cruz, CA) in September 2007.

Interview

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions. A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager. About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose. Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Write tree traversals for your own tree data structure   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm not good at negotiating.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I attended my university job fair where I dropped my resume. I got an email in about a month to attend an on campus interview. There was only one stage in the interview process - two back to back 30 minute on campus interviews.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite generic and purely algorithms and data structure related.   1 Answer