Altera Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.1

Systems Software Intern Interview

Multiple technical interviews, no behavioural interviews.
    Asked me to write code in any language I want on a whiteboard.
    Then hardware questions... most are easy but one tripped me up. Didn't get an offer

50 words limit lol please

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera.

Communication on the final year project done and the characteristic of diode (basic). Other is more on chatting session to understand your personality.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

Applied online

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!
        Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera.

Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Questions
    • Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in July 2013.

It's their Toronto location where I applied. Applied through their website and got email to come for a first state interview time. Two persons interviewed me, both for ~half an hour. They ask both software and hardware questions in the first stage interview to see where the person fits well. Not sure if there are second/more stages interview for interns.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware: Build a digital circuit that outputs '1' when input is fed with 256 or more consecutive '1's
      Software: Write a function for a binary tree which prints all the values stored in the nodes
        Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Altera.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter, and the initial conversation focussed on my experiences. Subsequently there was an on-site meeting, with a bit more depth into some part of my experiences, and a panel interview which involved some design and technical questions. Finally there was a much higher-level interview where discussions revolved around application characteristics. All in all a pretty good structure.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question, but I found it a bit difficult to really understand what kind of role I was interviewing for! To be fair to the company, they were undergoing some strategic realignment and the role itself was kind of being slightly redefined as they were figuring out what they wanted to do internally.   Answer Question

Ultimately proved not to be a good fit with my chosen career direction, but also from conversations with others in the industry I received some negative feedback about the company culture. It was a tempting offer, but on balance it didn't make sense for me.

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera.

Applied online and being called for interview within 2 days. First round of interview, manager are giving some background on their group and what is the job scope. The second round is technical interview with senior design engineer. Question asked : Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.

Interview Questions
    • Explanation items on resume, question on PCIE behavior especially LTSSM.   Answer Question

IP Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera.

First was a phone interview where some fairly basic questions were asked, mostly on video processing (what the job was focused on) in hardware. Issues that might be encountered such as bandwidth, optimization of look-up tables for functions (such as sine), etc. Second was a number of face-to-face interviews, covering my motivation and, more importantly, my RTL skills.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of issues dealing with RTL design of FSMs, BRAM, and the like. Also issues on interacting with DRAM.   Answer Question