Altera

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Question – As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Advanced Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Altera in March 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on site. Lots of rounds of interviews. At the end there will be a presentation to see how well you communicate.

Interview Question – They will ask you digital design questions that are tricky and tough to solve in 45 mins. They dont expect the correct answer but expect you to go in the right direction in solving the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt since I was an NCG. But you need to get one or two offers and then negotiate.

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met the team leader at school's career fair. They called me to set up an onsite interview but I did not receive a confirmation till 3 days before. The interview itself was technical transistor-related questions and a little more in depth discussion of projects on my resume. You need to have your technical knowledge at your fingertips to do well.
Overall, okay interview, the company culture itself did not seem to impress me much. Out of the 6 interviewers, 3 did not show up because they had other "commitments". One of the interviewers kept texting while speaking to me which just appeared downright disrespectful.

Interview Question – Can you draw a schematic for the entire 3 stage Analog amplifier you designed as part of your class ?   Answer Question

Design Engineering Intern Interview

Design Engineering Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Phone interview - 2 rounds
1st round - Manager: Basic questions based on resume: SRAM Design, Challenges faced during the project. Drawbacks of increasing wire lengths.
Programming online and submit the source code.
2nd round: Questions were on the programs that I had written.
Behavioral questionnaire to be filled.
Overall process took 2-3 weeks.

Interview Question – Straight forward questions.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in January 2013.

Interview Details – 2-3 Phone interviews. Go over the basics like data structures, verilog basics, discuss resume, your projects. Will test on things that are odd skill sets on your resume or an odd course, just to see if you actually have taken it or gained the skill set or if you are bluffing.

Interview Question – Asked things about databases although it was design engg position. this was because i had sql server on my resume. went over power and cmos questions, which i was not very much prepared as it was mostly a software position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. If they don't give relocation, you can negotiate and they might budge.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

Advanced Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Met at career fair, gave resume and told interests...A few weeks later got a call from them, set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well: learned about the product line, the interviewer asked about my interests and a few things about my resume. At the end asked a digital design question rebuilding a flip flop using additional logic. The next week was asked to come in for on site interview. The onsite interview was about 4 hours, interviewed with 6 people for about 45 minutes each (1 behavioral, 4 technical, then met with HR), then gave a 20 minute presentation at the end on a project I had previously done. Got a call the next day offering the position. Really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Design in hardware a random number generator   View Answer
  • Design an and/or gate from a 2-1 mux   View Answer
  • How to tell if a linked list loops back to itself   View Answer
  • Simplify the given logic schematic   View Answer
  • Using a binary tree, write code to find how many nodes are in the given range   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Let them know other offers, they beat them

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Altera in January 2011.

Interview Details – 3 month process. Phone interview first, then first round face to face. Long pause (2+ months). More interviews. No technical questions.

Interview Question – Leadership questions.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Fit was not good

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
San Jose, CA

I interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

Interview Details – I had a quick call with the hiring manager and was called onboard for interviews with 4 people including one with HR. I felt the interviews went well, but then wasnt replied to, until I checked with the HR. She asked me to wait another week.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, basic BA questions, what will you do if you face conflicting requirements.   View Answer

Web Interview

Web
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Submitted online and heard back from their recruiter in about a week. Two days later I had a 30 minutes phone interview. The following Monday I had an onsite interview for about 2.5 hours in the morning. A total of 3 people, 45 minutes each. Within 3 days, I was asked to come back for 2nd round. The second round was with the Sr Manager for about 30 minutes. A week goes by and I haven't heard so I email back. At this time I though my chances were pretty slim knowing that they were very aggressive in the beginning.

Interview Question – Not anything too technical that I couldn't anwser. Some are very general and some are related to my past experiences like "tell me a time....."   Answer Question

Senior Information Security Analyst Interview

Senior Information Security Analyst
San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted bu an agency (headhunter) that had talked to me a few months ago about a different role, thinking I would be a good fit for this Senior InfoSec Analyst role. Always up for investigating a new opportunity, I went along for the ride.

The headhunter quickly set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager, which focused on buzzword bingo – APT, DLP, and the like. Nothing specific or technical, more of a review of my background and how it matched with their needs. Seems this is a new department, he had only two direct reports and was looking for an experienced, senior person to help grow and mentor the team. The conversation went well, and was scheduled for an onsite.

The four hour scheduled onsite was a mix of individual and panel interviews, including one via telephone with a remote worker. Plenty of opportunities for a bathroom break, and for a bottle of water. The HR staffing person and I had a short conversation, and then a short tour of the facility. It was really cool to see the fab testing rooms (from the picture windows of course), helped pull the picture together of the organization and my research prior. The HR staffing person specifically pointed out they painted many of the walls different colors due to previous interviewees commenting on how drab the office environment looked. No mention of how the drab cube farms still gave the office environment the typical drone feel.

The technical interviews were average overall, some did not give an opportunity to ask questions where others provided ample opportunities. Though I did note that multiple times individuals mentioned how much of a challenge it was working with & for their engineers – the chip makers and designers. Gave the impression that the design engineers ruled the roost around this place.

Up until meeting the two other analysts, I could assume the day was going well. Quickly it was evident they were green and inexperienced – both in their interviewing and as analysts. One barely asked any questions, the other asking on topics that was buzzword bingo or on topics that were barely relevant to the role. When my answers were not meeting her satisfaction, she started getting visibly frustrated – seems my answers were above and beyond what they were used to is my only guess. When leaving, her snarky 'Good Luck' clued me in that there was no chance in hell – and if I was hired, she would be a HR complaint waiting to happen.

Finally meeting with the hiring manager in person in closing the afternoon, I tried to address some of the issues and concerns his young analysts brought forth. Seems the company does not have a CISO, he reports to the CIO (good luck getting priorities and funding). The company had some major InfoSec incidents last year, so in response they hired him and are starting to put a team together. They are investing in some tools, he just hired the two new analysts, and is putting together a strategy on how to head forward. The meager training budget per employee for the year restricts what they can improve upon, but

My impression was that they are another company with little to no InfoSec program, throwing some finding at a small team and a bunch of tools to “solve their problems.” Let me quote Bruce Schneier: "If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology." They are looking for InfoSec engineers/sysadmins, not analysts. This organization has a long way to grow in their InfoSec posture; and after my experience talking with them for an afternoon I have no interest in helping them find their way. I would also caution anyone interviewing for these roles to do the same.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Altera

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altera interview questions and advice in San Jose, CA. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Altera employees and interview candidates.