Altera Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in July 2010.

Applied online, received a call from the hiring manager a few days later. Spoke w/ the hiring manager for a quick phone screen and we determined that I probably wouldn't be a good fit for the company. The challenges of working on the team sounded interesting, but I didn’t have the proper background for it. The interviewer was more interested in my college coursework and my choice in text editors than what I’ve done professionally. This felt a little short sighted, but it’s where the interview went for most of the time. My impression of the company is that it sounds like a typical large scale engineering business with lots of layers and lots of process.

Interview Questions
  • How would you recursively count the leaves on a binary tree?   View Answer
  • Tell me about your college coursework, what did you take, what did you learn   Answer Question
  • do you prefer emacs or vi   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Altera

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altera in May 2010.

I initially received information about some available positions with this company through a contact at an FCCM conference. I provided this contact with my resume and research statement, and he forwarded my information to the team managers. A team manager contacted me through email to set up a phone interview. The interview with the manager went okay, but he didn't seem familiar with several components of my research. After discussing my research, he asked me to construct several algorithms for binary trees. I answered all the questions correctly, but for two of the questions he had to clarify some of what he said because I misunderstood what he was referring to.

Interview Questions
    • After I gave him a solution to construct an algorithm to count the leaves in a tree (which was correct), he asked me to do the problem again another way.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Altera.

The interview was split into five 30 minute separate 1-on-1 interviews with managers or supervisors from different parts of the company. I was asked mostly technical questions, which ranged from being quite detailed (write some code to implement some algorithm) to being quite broad. There were no trick questions and no trivia questions. Everyone was very polite and nice.

Interview Questions
    • Write code to find the critical path in a graph.   View Answer
    I was asked during the interview about my salary expectations. The offer seemed quite good, so I accepted it without negotiating.