Altera

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in June 2012.

Interview Details – I got the interview call through employee referral program. The screening interview was onsite, no phone screening interview. The interview lasted for about an hour. Interviewer told me about position and the team. He asked me a couple of questions on C programming and then asked me to write two programs mentioned below.

Interview Questions

• An array contains some random positive and negative numbers. Arrange array elements such that all positive elements are on left side, don't care about negative elements. Number of operations allowed - O(n)   View Answer
  • Reverse the linked list.   Answer Question

Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Altera in May 2011.

Interview Details – First phone interview was thorough, and had me solve a couple of problems. In person interview was good had several different people pose problems to solve. The workplace is pretty laid back, but people work hard.

Interview Question – There are several problems that are asked to test your problem solving skills, not so much specific knowledge.   Answer Question

Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2007.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Question – Write tree traversals for your own tree data structure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm not good at negotiating.

Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Altera in November 2012.

Interview Details – First level phone interview
2nd level face to face interview

Interview Question – Explain how you would program a chess game using object oriented design   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details – Applied online

Interview Question – Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details – Within one month after only applying, got a email to arrange first round in-personal interview. During interview, meet with two interviewers. Each one gave a test on algorithm.

Interview Question – find a missing element in array B compare to array A.   View Answers (2)

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in October 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR to setup an interview for an intern position. Most of the interview at campus take about 1 hour. This interview lasted for over 4 hours, with six interviewers. Many of the interview questions covered materials on digital electronics

Interview Question – timing analysis of a circuit
What does this circuit perform
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in November 2012.

Interview Details – First round includes two half-an-hour interviews with a software engineer and a hardware engineer. Second round includes a group lunch and five individual interviews with senior managers, half an hour each. Most questions are technical. People are nice and the entire process is efficient and professional.

Interview Question – How to design a snake and ladder game   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2011.

Interview Details – There was one interview day with 4 separate half-hour interviews with supervisors from different groups in the office. Emphasis on problem-solving without too much esoteric knowledge involved (what I learned in 2 years of studying engineering was sufficient background).

Received offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Graph-traversal with described domain, constraints introduced incrementally.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Altera in June 2012.

Interview Details – My interviews were setup via E-mail. I was invited back for a second round a week after the first interview.

The interviews included a series of one-on-one meetings. Each one start off with the interviewer asking a programming question and I had to give a basic solution. The rest of the interview builds on my initial solution to reach more efficient algorithms.

Interview Question – Find all anagrams of a word within a large dictionary of words   View Answer

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!