Altera

3.4

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

Initial selection for interview is primarily based on GPA (relevant past experience also may come in handy). The interview comprises of 3, 30 min. technical interview segments based mostly on software and a bit of hardware if you have indicated interest in hardware. Based on your overall performance, they will either reject you, hire you or call you in for another round of interview more specific to the team you might be under consideration for.

Interview Questions
    • timing analysis, component level diagram to achieve a mathematical operation (hardware)
      Recursive algorithm, optimization problem and a high level design problem (software)

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera in October 2014.

First round has 3 interviews.
    1 math software question
    1 datastructure software question
    1 High Level Hardware design question to implement arithmetic operations

Math question:
    int func(double reference, double target,int& m, int& n)
    Choose integers m and n such that it gives an output in integer such that
    target is closest to reference as possible.

Data Structure software question
    See below

High Level Hardware Design

Design a hardware that does the function below

f(n) = 3n +1 if n is odd
    n/2 if n is even given adder blocks and multiplication block

Interview Questions
    • Software Question:
      Design a data structure such that, given a key, output the values.
      Given values, output all key with this values

View Answer

PEY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I submitted my resume at UofT's career fair, get contacted after 2 weeks. (I think they order the interviews based on GPA. If your GPA is less than 3.5, it's not likely that you'll get one interview)
    I got a message for second interview a week from the first one.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a thing and describe how it works   View Answer
    No negotiation, the pay is competitive between HW companies.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I sent and received all correspondence through email, and was contacted about a week or two after I gave them my resume. I was invited to an on-site interview (Toronto office). The office was quiet, casual-ish. The people I ran into/observed were friendly, polite, and helpful. The building itself had a very 'serious business' vibe though.

Interview Questions
    • Considering I was interviewing for a software position, I did not expect to have to answer hardware questions (which was my mistake, in retrospect). Interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 1/2 hour sessions with different employees.   Answer Question

New Grad Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Altera in September 2014.

Initially, an email was sent out to the UofT IEEE group informing people of positions available at Altera. I expressed interest, and submitted my resume, and was called in for an interview. Initially I was taken out to lunch nearby for the people to get to know me (including myself, there were four of us). Afterwards we returned to the office where I went into a series of three one-on-one technical interviews, each asked by a different person (the second one was asked by one of the people I went out to lunch with, but other than that, they were different people from before). Each one lasted a certain length of time...I don't remember exactly, but I'll estimate between 20-30 minutes, at which point they needed to wrap up (regardless of the candidate's progress on the problem).

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

received an email from Altera and asked for my available time for an in person interview. I had two 1-1 interviews each for half an hour. Each asked only one question but added more condition to the initial question after answering the previous question.

Interview Questions
    • the timing diagram, c coding of an average question and writing the corresponding verilog code   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

Applied online

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!

Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera.

Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Questions
    • Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question