Altisource

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Altisource in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very cumbersome and confusing process with poor scheduling and coordination

Interview Question – Specific questions on a particular type of development   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Residential Analyst Interview

Residential Analyst
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altisource in February 2012.

Interview Details – Getting hired was no problem but ever trying to get promoted is a nightmare!

Interview Question – They place 100% of their hiring on the Wonderlic Test. If you fail it you will not be offered a position. Even if Bill Gates himself wanted to work for this company and didnt pass his initial test it would be a no go   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – standard no negotiating

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altisource.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a review and discussion of my resume's professional and educational experiences with what would be my direct report. Following that I was placed on a phone call to a different supervisor. Once that phone call was over, there was a third portion of the interview that was with my direct supervisor and a different manager. I was offered at the end of the interview and accepted, which then began the wait for Altisource to approve the paperwork to approve my contract.

Interview Question – Because I was being hired as a contracted employee there wasn't a difficult or unexpected question. The interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Solutions Consultant Interview

Solutions Consultant

Interviewed at Altisource

Interview Details – Brief interview with recruiter, several Personality Test/Wonderlic Test, Phone Interview (from manager in India). Very hard to understand the interviewer.

Interview Question – What was the last book you read, what did you learn from it, and how did you apply it to your current position?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Altisource in September 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with an initial phone screen going over the basics, walkthrough of resume, some product management questions, and then an invite to the office for an in person interview.
The in-person interview starts with the Wonderlic Test. Google it if you don't know what it is. But basically it's an 8th grade level verbal and math comprehension test. If you can read and do basic math you're fine.
Then three people come in and they will explain there are three parts to the interview:
1. A walkthrough of your resume
2. A set of standard questions they will ask you
3. A puzzle quiz to determine your thought process and problem solving skills.

For the walk through they seemed more interested in what wasn't on the resume as if they were trying to catch me in a lie or I determine that I was trying to hide something. With almost 20 years of experience listing early jobs unrelated to the current position seems irrelevant and would only serve to create a very long resume but that seemed to be the focus. So be prepared to defend every word on your resume.

Then you'll move onto the next part. The questions they'll ask are:
1. Tell us about a time you had to implement a corporate initiative that wasn't aligned with your departmental goals. What did you do, what was the outcome.
2. Tell us about a time you had to build a relationship with someone. What did you do, what was the outcome.
3. At some point we are all given ambiguous directions or instructions. Tell us about a time you were given ambiguous directions or instructions. What did you do, what was the outcome.
4. Tell us about your greatest success.
5. Tell us about your greatest failure.

The final part of the interview is a puzzle. The question I was asked was; "There are 8 balls, one of which is slightly lighter than the others. You have a balance, how do you find the lighter ball?" The answer is to weigh three balls on each side first. If they balance then you weigh the two you didn't initially weigh. If they don't balance they you weigh two from the side that was lighter. You can get to the answer weighing only twice.

They will help out with suggestions if you really get stuck but my advice is to just keep trying to work through it and keep trying different options and don't give up on whatever quiz they give you. Also Google quiz interview questions or get a book with those questions. My guess is that they will choose one that has a definitive answer, not like 'how many phone booths are there in New York' because they'll want you to get to one right answer. But I could be wrong.

Interview Question – "There are 8 balls, one of which is slightly lighter than the others. You have a balance, how do you find the lighter ball?"   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altisource in March 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interviewed by an Indian guy and a Chinese lady. Inperson interview came about 3 weeks later. The group consists of 3 Chinese and 3 Indians and the leader of the group was an Indian with a heavy accent. Had a hard time understanding what he was saying. The interview questions were most behavioral, but some of them were annoying, such as "describe your biggest failure". Not a nice interview experience overall.

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Title Assistant Interview

Title Assistant
Ventura, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Altisource in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed process. First contact was a phone interview with the Recruiting Manager and an online personality quiz. Second contact was another phone interview but this time with the local office and another online quiz. Third contact was a face to face interview and another online quiz. The face to face and the third quiz were both very stressful and I wasn't even sure that I would hear from them again but I did. They offer me the job and I accepted. I start at the end of June.

Interview Question – The online intelligence test. It had a lot of math questions which really threw me for a loop since the Title Assistant job does not involve math.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not have to negotiate. I was offered a great salary and I accepted it.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Altisource in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred to Altisource by a recruiter, who made several allusions to a "significant salary bump" (~20%). He did note, however, that their interview process was a bit odd: the first step was a personality test, and the second was an intelligence test. (The final would have been a panel interview.) I then spoke with an internal recruiter on the phone (for roughly 20 minutes), and she sent me a link to the personality test. I completed it first thing the next morning, but apparently I failed - they decided not to proceed beyond that.

Interview Question – Which of the following words describe how others expect you to act? Which of the following words describe how you think you act?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Altisource in April 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter setup the interview. I had an initial 30 minute phone screen with an HR representative. Immediately after the phone screen I took a personality test (PI) online. That same day the recruiter contacted me to setup 1.5 hour in-person interview. This was scheduled for the following week. The first part of the in-person interview was a 12 minute 50 question Wonderlic test. After that I went to a different room and had about a one hour interview with three individuals at the same time. They only seemed to care about whether I knew the technologies they were working with. They did not care about any of my past experiences. They came across as very condescending. When I left I had made up my mind I would not want to work here regardless of any offer.

Interview Question – They asked me to do a merge sort. This is really the last thing I expected for the position I was interviewing for. It took me about 15 minutes and afterwords I realized I did not handle one case (they did not point this out, I realized it after the fact). The reality is I would have done better on this question if I was a recent college grad. This is a fairly easy problem that I would easily complete with 100% correctness in a work environment in a reasonable amount of time (develop, implement and tested in under an hour). I could possibly see spending time on these types of questions in a longer interview. Or if I was interviewing for a software developer position. But in a 1 hour interview for a software architect this is what they focus on? What about focusing on architecture experience? For example, how about asking about how I solved architectural problems in any of the past systems I worked on? Or ask architecture related questions?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altisource in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to a position that did not list the company but was through a recruiter. Did 2 phone screens with the recruiter who then forwarded me to the company. It took about 2 weeks for the company recruiter to contact me and ask for a 1 hour in person interview. Their office is in a temporary location in the Prudential complex. It looked very iffy - but they explained they were just starting this location. I was brought to a completely empty office where I talked to the recruiter about basics. He then wanted to give a SAT type test where you had 10 minutes to do it. I'm still not certain if they were really grading the test or if it had a different purpose (ie to see how you think under pressure). The recruiter then asked for me to - surprise surprise talk to the hiring manager a little bit. He just asked for my background a bit and explained their objectives. The following week they asked for another in person interview with 3 of their personnel - 2 product folks and their president. This was scheduled for 2 hours. They asked for me to explain my career step by step and failures and successes. This took about an hour with minimal questions. They then asked a brain teaser question, again to see how you think.
Curiously they didn't ask product management specific questions such as how you would approach defining some new product or what framework you would use, etc... After the interview I didn't hear back.

Interview Question – Brain teaser would be the most difficult   Answer Question