Altisource Labs

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altisource Labs in November 2014.

This took about a week to do. These people have been after me for the past 2-3 years. The whole process was about 2 weeks. The HR recruiter from out of state contacted me, and I had a good phone screen with her. I then got a quick technical phone screen from a senior developer, and that was good enough to get me in the door. As has been said before, they have a SAT type prep test, which is like a personality test, and that was fine. I then had to take the real test which was 50 questions in 15 minutes, on average people answer about 40+ questions, but few people get them all. After that, then I met with the project manager, a senior backend person and a senior UI person. They asked me a couple of technical questions which I completely choked on. Just so you know, I have 25 years of overall experience, and 15 years in Java, and so I expected the usual Java trivia javadoc questions, but that wasn't it. They asked me questions about JQuery and the UI, but I told them I hadn't done that in about 4 years. I think it is a shame that they passed on me with all the experience I have. There is no doubt I could do the job, but this is what they like to do .... gang up on people and make them squirm. They have need for lots of people, but are only hurting their reputation. I am sure other project managers don't make their people go through these hoops.

Interview Questions
    • Combine two sorted lists of integers into one sorted list. There are three different ways this can be done, and you can look it up on the net. There is add both arrays to one array with addAll and then sort it. But they want the mergeSort answer. Find it print it out, and then memorize it. The second question is given 3.45 x 100 to get 345, what is the minimum coin amoint you need. I screwed up because I could remember which one was division and which one was modulo. I finally recoverd and remembered that module gives you the remainer of the division.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altisource Labs.

Take an online personality test. At the interview, you have 12 minutes to take a 50 question intelligence test. Nothing to really prepare for. Multiple group interviews with people of different positions in the company. Anything you have on your resume, even the smallest mention of, be sure you can explain in a bit of detail. Technical questions related to projects you have worked on. Questions switch between behavior and technical. Might have to explain something and draw diagrams or speak about the latest advancements in software, etc. No coding questions.

Associate Product Manager Interview

I was approached by multiple recruiters for a position. The process was very quick. I had an interview with the hiring manager and then a second round with a panel of interviewers. They have s standard process of personality test and IQ test. They also asked about specific challenges and how they were solved and gave me a puzzle question.

Interview Questions
    • What was the best and worst career achievement/ failure and why.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altisource Labs in October 2014.

I had phone interviews with several different managers before actually getting called in for an in person interview. I felt like I kept getting passed on to different managers so the process was disorganized. The people were nice but they have you take an assessment that has nothing to do whatsoever with the position you apply for.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions, manager did not follow a structured interview process it was more conversational. Also, I was told I would get a call for a second interview but then ended up finding out I was not the right fit.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Altisource Labs.

Probably one of the worst interview experiences I have had. I work and have worked in the recruitment space for a long time, agency and corporate, and have never experienced such disregard.

I received a call from an internal recruiter who was very eager to set me up with an in person interview, rather than speaking about a potential fit.

I was all prepared to speak with the company, had an itinerary of who I would be speaking with. A day later I was sent a PI test, which I have taken multiple times before and even reviewed the findings of the test personally. Needless to say, I know exactly how the process works. I had even taken one a month ago, never an issue.

I also received an email letting me know that I would also need to take a wonderlic, and wouldreceive an email shortly to help me prepare for another personality test I would need to take on-site. This email was never sent.

I received an email 30 min before I was supposed to depart for their office, letting me know there was an issue with the PI test and they would not be moving forward.

First off, don't set up in person interviews without understanding the needs of both sides.

After such a disrespectful experience, and a thanks, but no thanks, it's no surprise this company has rebranded just to have the same complaints.

Take it for what it's worth, but every "positive" review for this company is one worded nonsense that explains nothing about their experiences. Furthermore, when a review has limited wording, yet there is "no complaints," shows this could be employees being asked to write reviews to help boost their brand, which other people reviewing this company have also stated in the past.

Look at all the negative reviews, how detailed. Same story all the way around. . . Terrible leadership, long hours with no work life balance, and zero career progression, because they constantly deal with the communication struggles of onshore/offshore teams. Typical company looking at the bottom line, quantity over quality.

It's no surprise that they try to automate the recruitment process because they deal with huge rates of attrition.

I would never recommend anyone to this company and would be very skeptical even working with this company as a third party.

Very disappointed, do your research, as much as they want to act like Glassdoor and other review sites are not legitimate, let's be real.

Interview Questions
    • Was not really asked much. Was more so told about the company and set up for an in person interview.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Altisource Labs in September 2014.

Phase I: Several weeks after you express interest, you will be contacted via email. Keep good records of where you respond to req's because you might not even remember their name after three or four weeks. In my case, it was six weeks and an internal recruiter from the wrong city contacted me.

Phase II: Silly little checkbox screening/filtering questions over the telephone. As another reviewer has described, you don't get the sense that they are really listening, just following a script.

Phase III: The online personality index test. This typifies what is wrong with current day recruiting. Even if the tests were useful, they are interpreted by people that aren't qualified. You have to get out from behind your desk to work with people, even in information technology and recruiting; you can't automate this process without losing allot of very good people.

Phase IV: Cursory interview with a manager. Do you know the buzzwords? Can you discuss your experience without being critical of something or someone else?

Phase V: Onsite visit and MORE testing, followed by interviews.

Phase VI: Wait.... wait... wait...

If you take the time to check out the recruiter(s), for a sensitive senior role, you may see that they are only several months out of college.

Interview Questions

I believe that the recruiting process is often symptomatic of dysfunction in the broader organization.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altisource Labs in September 2014.

The hiring process was almost exactly as I would have expected for a company that's trying to assemble the best possible people possible. After the recruiter and manager phone screen, I was able to meet with various members of the team I was about to join, and each person had their own interview style. In between the initial phone screen and the on-site there were 2 assessments. One was the Wonderlic and the other was a personality survey. The process was run smoothly and once I took the assessments, the team quickly pivoted to talking to me and I was also able to learn more about the team and my role.

The offer was competitive out of the gate. Good base salary with an interesting performance based bonus that could make up 20% plus.

Knowledge Management Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Altisource Labs in August 2014.

Enthusiastic recruiter but then it got weird. They sent me a personality test, (no big deal), then they had a phone screen, went really well, they were excited. They booked an interview and told me that they were giving me a Wonderlic test. I tried to study because who remembers all their 5th grade manual math and word problems (no caculators allowed). When I tried to call the recruiter, to ask about the math portion of the test (there was no manual math required for this job) it was impossible to get through, then I looked for a general number. It does not exist! When I was finally able to reach her, she said it was done on paper and I can skip the q's that I want.
    The test thing was weird - it was a full on test, not the kind given to nfl players. The interview was good, they seemed very impressed by my extensive background and the scope of my knowledge and experience. They were impressed with my answers and my examples. However, it was conducted by a consultant, not the hiring manager.
    I exchanged a couple of emails with the enthusiastic recruiter and she indicating that that they wanted me back in and then I just never heard from them again! Poof! Followed up, nothing. The whole experience just felt really detached from the real world. If I got an offer, I'm not sure I would have taken it.
    Even the offices are weird. Just a huge collection of really open short cubes. Zero privacy.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Altisource Labs in August 2014.

The Human Resources recruiter was very responsive and fair throughout the interview process. The whole process took two-three weeks. My offer came promptly and I was very pleased with it.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were very detailed. Not standard, but I appreciated that they took the time to understand my skills and interests.   Answer Question
    The process was fair.

Senior Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Altisource Labs in July 2014.

Very unprofessional. First required to take some sort of a voodoo personality test. Next had an initial call with HR. I was informed that I would be updated after information from the initial call was passed along to the hiring manager. I never heard back, and never received the courtesy of a response to my request for a follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked why I left each of my prior employers. Bit unnecessary if you ask me.   Answer Question