Altman Vilandrie & Company

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – On-campus recruiting led to a first round interview and successful completion led to an in-office final round interview. Final round had 4 cases and lunch included. Cases were on a variety of technology and energy questions and markets.

Interview Question – The cases were fairly standard and the personality questions were within consulting norms.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in January 2011.

Interview Details – First round was on-campus with two senior managers in the company. Both were 30 min interviews with a business case and some fit. One case was highly quantitative and other was qualitative.
I was invited for second round to their Boston office. very flexible in accomodating schedule etc. 4 45 min 1:1 interviews with company partners. ppl were extremely engaging, friendly and I enjoyed my conversations with them thoroughly@!

Interview Question – Some business cases...   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – I learned about the firm from a campus career fair. I applied through campus recruiting. For the first round, I had 2, 30min. 1:1 on-campus interview. For the second round, it was a superday at their offices in Boston with 3, 45min. - 1hr. cases and 1, 45min. fit interview. Each interview during the superday had 2 people from the firm.

Interview Question – A lot of telecom-related cases such as how to sell internet services to small businesses.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screening interview to begin, then a more in depth interview with to associates a few days later. Very involved process. If you use Case Interview.com or any of those other books/websites, it won't work. Thats more for Bain, McKinsey etc. They know exactly what they're looking for in their answers. If you are a math major you're in good shape.

Interview Question – What is the trajectory of people using Cloud computing from ages 18-65   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Campus recruiting had 1:1 interviews that were case-based; met with 2 people (VP level and consultant/analyst level). Fairly straightforward cases with tech/telecom focus; interviewers helped to walk you through it.

Invited for superday at their Boston HQ. 1 behavioral interview with short case and then 3 cases. Most cases not hard, though you did need to think about them. I think the hardest thing was endurance--4 case interviews is a lot! Each one took approx. 40 minutes and they were back-to-back, so by the last one I was pretty tired.

Interview Question – What is the market size of cloud-based data storage systems?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial on campus interview with two cases and a four case interview at their office. more quantitative than most cases, frameworks seemed to be less important.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you led a group   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a headhunter about the position. I interviewed with HR first in a 45 min interview. She asked the basic questions about walking through resume and what I was looking for. Having passed that stage she set up a case interview with a consultant on their team. The case interview lasted about 1 hour. The first 20 min the interviewer talked about the firm and job. That took up about 20 min. As a result, I felt rushed during the case. It was about a telecom issue with international implications. How to expand the business. Choice of target markets, buy or build infrastructure topics were all discussed. I launched right into my solution. This was my mistake. I should have spent more time asking clarifying questions. The topic and case itself were quite easy. I learned from the process to be more thoughtful and deliberate in doing case interviews.

Interview Question – How would you go about advising a company on where to put their resources in order to achieve a goal of more revenue.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone screen, which was a pretty simple case with a small quant component (calculating customer value). I passed this, then went to the second- and third-round combo day, during which I think I was a little too relaxed. Altman is a very type-A company, and they look for that kind of personality.

Interview Questions

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter in November. After the initial phone interview, I was told that the company's HR department would contact me shortly for an interview. It took several weeks for the HR department to get back to me, however it appears that that was nothing out of ordinary.

We scheduled the first interviews in Boston in January. The first set of interviews consisted of mostly going through cases, much like it is done at McKinsey & Co. I interviewed with three different consultants (2 of them Senior Associates and one Associate Principal). I felt that I didn't do as well on the interview with the Associate Principal, but am quite confident that I did really well in the other two interviews. I also went for a lunch with an Analyst and and an Associate, and had a nice time.

I was not extended an offer after the first round of interviews. Instead, I was invited for another visit to Boston more than a month later. The second round of interviews also consisted of cases. However, this time I was interviewed by a partner and two Associate Principals. The interviews went well, and I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• How to optimize the layout of cell phone towers given a set of physical and financing constraints   Answer Question
  • How to price a new product given a set of market constraints   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Intern Interview

Summer Analyst Intern
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through career services and was accepted for an on-campus interview. The interview consisted of fit/behavioral questions at the beginning, case discussion, and questions at the end. The interviewer was an associate consultant and was very friendly. Fit questions were fairly straightforward and resume-based, and the case itself was related to the specific type of work that this firm handles. Unfortunately, this was my first case interview and I was not well-prepared. Didn't get an invite for the second round.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Worked for Altman Vilandrie & Company? Contribute to the Community!