Altria

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Altria in October 2012.

Interview Details – Found through university career fair, applied and was contacted almost immediately. Had a first round two-on-one interview on campus (mostly behavioral, then discussion about company) and two weeks later went out to Richmond HQ for final round. This was a round of interviews with Managers, mostly behavioral but some "Tell me about a time..." type questions. Also had a tour and a Q&A session. 3-4 weeks later got a call with the offer.

Interview Question – Nothing too tricky.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation, but there is some room for negotiation in terms of relocation package.

Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altria in February 2014.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews. the most difficult part is the second round where you have to analyze a case study and show your findings to a panel of interviewers. Then you partake in a mock conversation with a store owner who is not selling enough of your product. Lastly, you are asked some more behavorial questions, like name a time when you were on a team that struggled. Explain what happened and what you learned from it, or something to that effect.

Interviewed at Altria

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, and it was a very smooth process. I had two on campus interviews, then I went on a ride-along type interview where I basically shadowed one of their TSMs (territory sales managers) for an entire day. That was more of a selling point for them as to why altria, rather than an interview for me.

Interview Question – They had me read a packet and make a pitch to them as to why to buy a certain product.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined simply because I saw that I wasn't really interested in Tobacco sales.

Miami, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Altria in February 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. First two are behavioral. Last interview is a "Day in the Field" where you follow a sales manager, see what they do, try your hand at selling, and they will evaluate you.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working in the tobacco industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because it was an internship, I did not negotiate any of the fine details.

Interview Details – campus event. 2nd round interview

Interview Question – make sure you arrive early, 30 mins before my actual interview i was given a case study to review and analyze.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – offer from somewhere else

Interviewed at Altria

Interview Details – Met with recruiters at on-campus job fair, got a call back, went through interview process from there.

Interview Question – How could we more effectively reach out to college-aged students?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Altria in February 2013.

Interview Details – First you had to submit your application, get accepted to the first interview (based on the STAR behavioral method), then the second interview (also based on the STAR method). After the second interview if they invite you to the day in the field, they believe you are a good fit and you basically decide from there. You don't really get to pick where your internship is.

Interview Question – How do you feel about selling tobacco products?   View Answer

Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Altria in February 2011.

Interview Details – Connected through a job fair, interview process involves three steps. First step is just an initial screening to gauge interest, it is important to let them know that you are excited at the possibility of making this a full time position once you graduate. They are not interested in investing in you if you won't stick with them. The next interview is one-on-one to prepare you for the panel interview (3rd stage). The one-on-one is to see how you do with the STAR format of interview. If you do well you will be asked back for the final round panel interview.

Interview Question – How do you reconcile working for a tobacco company with being an athlete?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Altria in March 2012.

Interview Details – Three rounds of interviews. First round was with one recruiter which was pretty informal, all fit questions just to make sure I was who my application said I was. Second round was more comprehensive. Took about 45mins-1 hour and was with three managers over the phone since I wasn't close to Richmond. All fit questions. Did well enough to procure a 3rd round interview which was also more fit questions and was much more difficult. They asked a few things I wasn't prepared for. Ultimately didn't receive an offer because they said they were going with someone with more experience in procurement.

Interview Question – "What kind of goals have you set for yourself in this semester"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altria.

Interview Details – Recruited on campus, got through first round, interviewed by panel, did not get asked for third round

Interview Question – explain a time you used data   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Altria

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altria Intern interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Altria employees and interview candidates.