Altria

Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.4

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria.

Three stages: first was a standard STAR/SCAR format interview with one Unit Manager & one Territory manager. Second stage was a case study: they ask you to look at category management data for coffee beans and give them quantified reasoning as to what actions you would recommend and why. You're given several sheets of paper worth of data and info on your client, then 30 minutes to analyze it, come up with a solution, and make a presentation for it. You then answer questions from a panel of five interviewers, and then participate in a role-playing exercise. Once you pass that round, then there's a day in the field, where you get to actually participate in what the day-to-day of the job looks like

Interview Questions
    • Convice me to lower my pricing model's margins using the data given despite my aversion to do so in a tough economy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altria in December 2014.

Initially screened via telephone by a recruiter. Was scheduled for a "round 1" interview at a local hotel by 2 area Unit Managers a lady and a man. Both were very warm and friendly and fully explained the 3 step process of round 1. 1)Background screening based on your resume, 2)Behavioral interview and 3) turn the tables and allow me to ask them questions about the position and the company. I was told that we would be informed in a week or so if we make it to round 2 which is a panel interview with 3 or 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to use the STAR method with this scenario: One of my customers agrees to try one of our new products based on a current promotion and based on the fact that I told him he could return the product for a full refund if it didn't sell for him. I somehow missed a new policy that came out the day before that said he could no longer return the product. He now calls me and he is ticked and wants an explanation. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria.

I interviewed at my college. I spoke with a recruiter who e-mailed me later and encouraged me to sign up. The interview was a 2-on-1 conversation, and they asked a series of behavioral questions (asked me to answer using the STAR method). Took very little interest in my past work and internship experience. I felt uncomfortable throughout the entire interview: the interviewers did not seem receptive to me or my answers at all, although I had solid work experience. I did not get an offer, but was sure upon leaving the interview that I did not want to go any further in the process anyways. I got a very negative impression of the company and its atmosphere through this interview and knew it was not a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what I would do if other members of my team were lying to meet sales goals and making me look bad by comparison.   View Answer

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria.

A behavioral interview, case study, and day in the field. Show your through process in the case study and back up what you decide, even if it sounds like they're skeptical of it. Ask lots of questions on the day in the field.

Interview Questions
    • It was a question along the lines of if you should report your boss' unethical to HR, and if they don't care, should you quit?   View Answer

My heart wasn't in the cigarette industry.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altria.

The interview process is very thorough with three total interviews. The first interview consisted solely of behavioral questions and situational questions. Following the first interview, I was called in for a second interview that was a case interview centered on developing a sales pitch. The third and final "interview" is an on-site office visit where you get to work with a Territory Sales Manager.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altria.

It was difficult but fair 4 step process. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter moved me on to a phone screening with a Unit Manager and from there I was sent on to a 3 person panel interview that included a case study and 10-15min role play. I was contacted a few days after the panel interview for a day in the field with a unit manager and a seasoned TSM. Throughout the whole process everyone was extremely nice and did everything to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Typical SCAR/ STAR behavior based format.

Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize a few different tasks and how did you decide what to do first?

What is your biggest regret/ mistake in your current job and how would you do things differently if you could?

How do you feel about selling tobacco products to adult consumers?

Answer Question
    I did attempt to negotiate and was told that the offer that was made was all they could offer at this time. I still accepted the job as the offer was very fair and was significantly better than what I was coming from.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria.

The first interview is a two on 1 interview and then the second round interview is a panel case study in front of executives. Then the third round is a day in the field with an experienced territory sales mananger

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you took something from a previous experience and used it to help you solve a problem   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altria.

I applied online. Was contacted via email to set up phone interview. Phone interview was mostly behavioral questions. I was contacted via email that I was moving on to the panel interview. Definitely recommend going to company website for the Interview Preparation Tips. These tips will fully prepare you for the interview.

TSM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Altria in October 2014.

The first interview was a phone interview with questions about my background and verification. A few questions about the company and feeling to see if I had researched my potential employer (which I did and I recommend everyone to do so for any employer (sounds like common sense, but most skip this step).

The next interview was with a unit manager and district manager for that area. They asked the star-based questions. Just make sure you answer in situation, action, outcome. Then they asked a situational case study (What would you do in the situation of a store owner not following the regulations etc.)

The third interview is a case study. You have 30 minutes to overlook a case, decide the useful information and then do some mathematical business and analytical calculations (they do have the formulas). You discuss what you came up with, your ideas, and your basic sales pitch. Then proceed to use the pitch in role model format. They will conclude with more star based behavior questions.

The fourth interview is a day in the field. One will ride along with a seasoned tsm, district and/or regional representative. TSM will conduct several sales calls and then you will model and complete a few as well. (this is not a ride-along, IT IS AN INTERVIEW). ***Make sure you ask lots of questions and take many notes. They are looking for how you relate to the business owners and how you adapt to your surrounds when new information presents itself.They look even closer at how you are using the notes, points, and analytics you calculate, what they have coach you on, and what you have observed from the TSM as well.

Tips: definitely review the altria website information about the sub companies, watch the interview help video, review all the platitudes, values, culture, and mission statements to draw from during interviews.

*as if most know, but if not full suit is needed (women as well)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to use analytics and calculations to solve a problem or make a sale.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria in October 2014.

Three rounds of interviews. The first round was all behavioral based. The second round is a case study where you have to present and make a sales pitch. I wasn't called in for the third round, which I was told was a day on the field to see how I would behave.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer was very harsh on my responses during the sales pitch. This caught me off guard.   Answer Question