Altria Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

3.3

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altria.

The interview process is very thorough with three total interviews. The first interview consisted solely of behavioral questions and situational questions. Following the first interview, I was called in for a second interview that was a case interview centered on developing a sales pitch. The third and final "interview" is an on-site office visit where you get to work with a Territory Sales Manager.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria in September 2014.

Overall, the interview was about 30 minutes. The interview was an in person interview. The interviewers were very perceptive and asked many follow up questions to learn about the your behavior and see how you handled situations. Further, be prepared to have a least a minimum of 3-5 situations or experiences you are able to give many details and examples about.

After the first interview, their will be a panel interview followed by a day in the field experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell Me About A Time Questions. Ex. Tell me a time you disagreed with your group and how did you resolve this?   View Answer

Undergraduate Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altria in September 2014.

I interviewed with Altria at the NABA Southern Region Student Conference in Atlanta. The process was not as rigorous as for other companies I interviewed with that day. There were two men conducting the interview very nice people, great energy. I truly enjoyed the way the interview went. They started by introducing themselves and telling me what were their duties at the company ; then they went on and told me about why it would be great to work with Altria. They each took turns to ask questions they asked about 5 to 8 questions in total and at the end of the interview they gave me a nice Portfolio with their cards which I found very thoughtful and the portfolio actually came in handy too because I did not have one and I had 3 other interviews that day, so I needed to have something that would have made mme look professional loprofessional enough.

Interview Questions
    • They ask mostly behavioral based questions like tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult situation   Answer Question
    • The last question they asked me and I did not expect it was "what is the journal entry for when you buy mugs and you want to resell them?"   View Answer
    I received the offer in the mail and did not really negotiate because I am going to be an intern so there is not much flexibility in that case.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altria.

It was difficult but fair 4 step process. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter moved me on to a phone screening with a Unit Manager and from there I was sent on to a 3 person panel interview that included a case study and 10-15min role play. I was contacted a few days after the panel interview for a day in the field with a unit manager and a seasoned TSM. Throughout the whole process everyone was extremely nice and did everything to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Typical SCAR/ STAR behavior based format.

Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize a few different tasks and how did you decide what to do first?

What is your biggest regret/ mistake in your current job and how would you do things differently if you could?

How do you feel about selling tobacco products to adult consumers?
        Answer Question
    I did attempt to negotiate and was told that the offer that was made was all they could offer at this time. I still accepted the job as the offer was very fair and was significantly better than what I was coming from.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria.

The first interview is a two on 1 interview and then the second round interview is a panel case study in front of executives. Then the third round is a day in the field with an experienced territory sales mananger

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you took something from a previous experience and used it to help you solve a problem   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altria.

I applied online. Was contacted via email to set up phone interview. Phone interview was mostly behavioral questions. I was contacted via email that I was moving on to the panel interview. Definitely recommend going to company website for the Interview Preparation Tips. These tips will fully prepare you for the interview.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

The initial interview consists of many behavioral type questions. Answering in the STAR method is the most beneficial because if you miss a step they will ask you about it. Ex. If you explain a situation in which you faced diversity in the workplace, but did not explain the end result, they will ask you about it and note that you did not answer the question fully.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time, in the workplace, when you used analytical skills to solve a complex problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altria in August 2014.

Applied online after meeting with a Local Unite Manager at a career fair (Not University). Applied for position located in Albuquerque, NM.

Participated in phone screening call. Basic Behavior Questions in STAR format.

Next was in person panel interview. They flew me out to Albuquerque and put me up in a hotel for the night. Next morning, met with Unit Manager and another TSM. Filled out some paperwork that was misplaced by someone thinking that my application was for some other territory. This took about 30 minutes before we were able to actually start the interview. I was then handed a packet of fictional sales data for a hypothetical company. I was to review the information and participate in a case study. Then answered some more behavioral questions.

After the panel interview, we went out in the field and participated actively in the TSM role. Only visited 2 outlets before they had to have me back to the airport for my return flight.

Overall, positive interview, nice folks and I would have loved to receive a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was difficult, make sure you're prepared to actually sell to someone. I wasn't.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altria.

I researched and found a position opening for Altria who was offering an intern position for supply chain management and I applied online through UR's student employment program. Altria brings reps to school for formal interview for a couple of days depending on your progression through interviews. Interview was done by three employees of different positions and asked basic interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Altria.

The initial contact was from someone in admin and she explained that the sales managers were interested in interviewing me for a "screening" interview. They select the dates and times and ask if those are good times for you. I was told that there was a total of 3 interviews before being hired for this position/company.

The first interview is a "screening" interview where they ask you behavioral questions. There are 3 sections of questions during the screening interview. The questions cover your work history and skills, how you work with other people, and how you perform in leadership roles. The most important question is the question where they would like you to answer in the S.T.A.R. (or S.C.A.R.) format. That stands for Situation Task Action Results (or Situation Challenge Action Results). If you are unfamiliar with this form of answering, you can find a link to it on the Altria website in the "Careers" section. This interview was 30 to 45 minutes long.

The second interview is a panel interview with more than one person at the same time. And the third interview is a field interview where a Sales Manager takes you out in the field to show you a typical day in this job position.

Both the person that initially contacted me and the person that performed the screening interview were very nice and very professional.

Interview Questions
    • STAR Question: The question was a WWYD question where I was asked what I would do if a client made a purchase based on a current promotion and signed the contract, only to find out that the promotion was changed at the last minute that morning before the client signed the contract and without the client being aware that the promotion had been changed. Upon finding out about the change, the client asked to return the products for a full refund. But since the contract was already signed, your sales manager tells you that there is nothing they can do because it is written in the contract and they have to honor it. What would you do?   View Answer