Altria Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.3

Supply Chain Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Altria.

I researched and found a position opening for Altria who was offering an intern position for supply chain management and I applied online through UR's student employment program. Altria brings reps to school for formal interview for a couple of days depending on your progression through interviews. Interview was done by three employees of different positions and asked basic interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Altria.

The initial contact was from someone in admin and she explained that the sales managers were interested in interviewing me for a "screening" interview. They select the dates and times and ask if those are good times for you. I was told that there was a total of 3 interviews before being hired for this position/company.

The first interview is a "screening" interview where they ask you behavioral questions. There are 3 sections of questions during the screening interview. The questions cover your work history and skills, how you work with other people, and how you perform in leadership roles. The most important question is the question where they would like you to answer in the S.T.A.R. (or S.C.A.R.) format. That stands for Situation Task Action Results (or Situation Challenge Action Results). If you are unfamiliar with this form of answering, you can find a link to it on the Altria website in the "Careers" section. This interview was 30 to 45 minutes long.

The second interview is a panel interview with more than one person at the same time. And the third interview is a field interview where a Sales Manager takes you out in the field to show you a typical day in this job position.

Both the person that initially contacted me and the person that performed the screening interview were very nice and very professional.

Interview Questions
    • STAR Question: The question was a WWYD question where I was asked what I would do if a client made a purchase based on a current promotion and signed the contract, only to find out that the promotion was changed at the last minute that morning before the client signed the contract and without the client being aware that the promotion had been changed. Upon finding out about the change, the client asked to return the products for a full refund. But since the contract was already signed, your sales manager tells you that there is nothing they can do because it is written in the contract and they have to honor it. What would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altria in August 2014.

Applied online after meeting with a Local Unite Manager at a career fair (Not University). Applied for position located in Albuquerque, NM.

Participated in phone screening call. Basic Behavior Questions in STAR format.

Next was in person panel interview. They flew me out to Albuquerque and put me up in a hotel for the night. Next morning, met with Unit Manager and another TSM. Filled out some paperwork that was misplaced by someone thinking that my application was for some other territory. This took about 30 minutes before we were able to actually start the interview. I was then handed a packet of fictional sales data for a hypothetical company. I was to review the information and participate in a case study. Then answered some more behavioral questions.

After the panel interview, we went out in the field and participated actively in the TSM role. Only visited 2 outlets before they had to have me back to the airport for my return flight.

Overall, positive interview, nice folks and I would have loved to receive a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was difficult, make sure you're prepared to actually sell to someone. I wasn't.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Altria.

There is an initial interview, panel interview which includes a case study, and a day in the field. All questions are centered around the companies values and leadership responsibilities. Typically it is college graduates asking the questions so the interviewers are looking for unique answers instead of the same answers about the same class/group projects.

Interview Questions
    • When is a time that you failed because you were in a group?   Answer Question
    There wasn't much negotiation. The offered salary was good.

Summer Sales Intern Interview

Applied online. Phone interview for about 30-45 minutes, just basic getting to know you and asking about your resume and such. 2nd round is a sit down with 2 representatives presenting a business plan with role playing and asking you basic situational questions. 3rd round was an interaction in the daily lifestyle of an Intern.

Interview Questions
    • None that I felt were so difficult. Just typical "what would you do in this situation" or "how have you handled this" questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Altria in June 2014.

-Position is more of merchandising role than sales.

-1st interview is "screening". Basically will be asked a series of impersonal questions and expected to answer like a corporate zombie. Interviewer will not ask any questions about you.

-Those fresh out of college and unfamiliar with how human beings communicate in the real world will be good at this interview.

-be sure to brush up on corporate platitudes--bonus points for this!!!

-be good at going through the motions.

-know the STAR method for answering a question---interviewer will probably specifically ask you to answer in this format.

-2nd interview will consist of a panel where you again are expected to speak in corporate platitudes and "sell" college textbool style.

-When you ask for the job as a true salesman would, expect them to say "we have a number of applicants and you will know one way of the other"...... Expect then to hear nothing.

-realize that big companies are the most inflexible and offer the least opportunity for you to effect change.

-start your own business and dont be a slave to a corporation that discourages your creativity and limits your ability to live a free life.

-cheers!

Interview Questions
    • Use the STAR method to tell us about a time you were able to change something at your previous/current employer.   Answer Question

TSM Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Altria.

3 Stage Hiring Process with District Manger, If you are applying for a position you should be ready to relocate. This is the type of position best suited for recent college grads who may be more flexible to relocating for a sub-six figure position.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altria.

3 step process
    1) face to face screen interview- behavioral questions
    2) Panel interview with case study and in depth behavioral questions
    3) A day in the field- candidate goes and sees accounts with a territory sales manager and unit manager

Process can be short or London depending on the timing or local management

Interview Questions
    • If you were given a territory today, what information would you want to know before entering the territory?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laramie, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laramie, WY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Altria in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for Altria after I email him my resume in response to an email I had received from my university's college of business regarding Territory Sales Manager positions Altria was filling in Jackson, WY, Seattle, and Bellingham, WA. I said I was very interested in the company and the position so two days later, the recruiter called me again and I set up an interview for the next week on campus. I thought the interview was fairly straightforward. There were two men interviewing me, one was the recruiter that had contacted me and the other I assume was a Territory Sales Manager (he conducted the majority of the interview). They asked a lot about my education and work background and my experience so far. They also asked a few behavioral questions.

To be honest, I was not impressed with the recruiter at all. When he initially contacted me, he of course mentioned the positions in Washington state and Jackson. However, when I got to the interview, he said "alright, so you're interviewing for the position in Rock Springs, WY." I was very shocked because a position in Rock Springs was NEVER mentioned to me before the interview. When I asked about the positions in Washington, he said they had been filled. I was very irritated that nothing had been said to me before the interview. I was still interested because I needed a job and this would have been a great opportunity, but their lack of communication and honesty beforehand did not impress me.

I got an email about a week later saying that I was not going to be interviewed any further, which I was kind of thankful for because of the initial interview and the thought of having to live in Rock Springs. For a company whose largest product is tobacco, they seem to be a pretty great company.

Interview Questions
    • Say you're trying to meet your sales quota for the month and you have a buyer that will buy from you and allow you to reach that goal. However, you realize later that you quoted the buyer incorrect prices and the products are actually selling for more than the buyer thinks. How would you handle this situation.   View Answer

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Altria.

Met at Career Fair. Enjoyed talking to employees. Interview was a 2-on-1 situation and they asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!