Altria Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

3.4

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altria in October 2014.

Interview

The process involved a lot of behavioral questions along with some general interest questions about me. There were two engineers that were interviewing me. They were friendly and it was a relaxed process. I got a call back about a month later with the job offer. all behavioral questions were in the star format.

Summer Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altria in October 2014.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at a University info session, completed the online application and then had a phone screening interview. Was invited to an in person interview with 2 Sales Managers. Interview was mostly behavioral in nature with a lot focused on how you work on your own and take initiative. Interviewers were very upfront about wanting to hear responses to their questions using the STAR format and were taking notes based upon that.

Interview Questions

• What is an idea you had in one position you held that you carried over and enacted in another position?   Answer Question

Summer Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altria in October 2014.

Interview

I talked with recruiters at my school's career fair and attended their info session. I submitted my resume and cover letter online. They contacted me about a week later for an interview. The first round was over the phone, reviewing my resume and asking behavioral/situational questions. The second round involved more behavioral questions and a sales case, where I had 30 minutes to analyze data then create a sales pitch.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. They asked a lot of them and I had trouble coming up with examples. The sales case is data heavy - you have to be able to sort out the irrelevant vs. relevant data   1 Answer

Interview

The initial interview consists of many behavioral type questions. Answering in the STAR method is the most beneficial because if you miss a step they will ask you about it. Ex. If you explain a situation in which you faced diversity in the workplace, but did not explain the end result, they will ask you about it and note that you did not answer the question fully.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time, in the workplace, when you used analytical skills to solve a complex problem?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Altria (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with Altria at the NABA Southern Region Student Conference in Atlanta. The process was not as rigorous as for other companies I interviewed with that day. There were two men conducting the interview very nice people, great energy. I truly enjoyed the way the interview went. They started by introducing themselves and telling me what were their duties at the company ; then they went on and told me about why it would be great to work with Altria. They each took turns to ask questions they asked about 5 to 8 questions in total and at the end of the interview they gave me a nice Portfolio with their cards which I found very thoughtful and the portfolio actually came in handy too because I did not have one and I had 3 other interviews that day, so I needed to have something that would have made mme look professional loprofessional enough.

Interview Questions

• They ask mostly behavioral based questions like tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult situation   Answer Question
    • The last question they asked me and I did not expect it was "what is the journal entry for when you buy mugs and you want to resell them?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received the offer in the mail and did not really negotiate because I am going to be an intern so there is not much flexibility in that case.

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altria in September 2014.

Interview

Overall, the interview was about 30 minutes. The interview was an in person interview. The interviewers were very perceptive and asked many follow up questions to learn about the your behavior and see how you handled situations. Further, be prepared to have a least a minimum of 3-5 situations or experiences you are able to give many details and examples about.

After the first interview, their will be a panel interview followed by a day in the field experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell Me About A Time Questions. Ex. Tell me a time you disagreed with your group and how did you resolve this?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Altria.

Interview

I researched and found a position opening for Altria who was offering an intern position for supply chain management and I applied online through UR's student employment program. Altria brings reps to school for formal interview for a couple of days depending on your progression through interviews. Interview was done by three employees of different positions and asked basic interview questions.

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Altria (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

The initial contact was from someone in admin and she explained that the sales managers were interested in interviewing me for a "screening" interview. They select the dates and times and ask if those are good times for you. I was told that there was a total of 3 interviews before being hired for this position/company.

The first interview is a "screening" interview where they ask you behavioral questions. There are 3 sections of questions during the screening interview. The questions cover your work history and skills, how you work with other people, and how you perform in leadership roles. The most important question is the question where they would like you to answer in the S.T.A.R. (or S.C.A.R.) format. That stands for Situation Task Action Results (or Situation Challenge Action Results). If you are unfamiliar with this form of answering, you can find a link to it on the Altria website in the "Careers" section. This interview was 30 to 45 minutes long.

The second interview is a panel interview with more than one person at the same time. And the third interview is a field interview where a Sales Manager takes you out in the field to show you a typical day in this job position.

Both the person that initially contacted me and the person that performed the screening interview were very nice and very professional.

Interview Questions

• STAR Question: The question was a WWYD question where I was asked what I would do if a client made a purchase based on a current promotion and signed the contract, only to find out that the promotion was changed at the last minute that morning before the client signed the contract and without the client being aware that the promotion had been changed. Upon finding out about the change, the client asked to return the products for a full refund. But since the contract was already signed, your sales manager tells you that there is nothing they can do because it is written in the contract and they have to honor it. What would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altria (Albuquerque, NM) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online after meeting with a Local Unite Manager at a career fair (Not University). Applied for position located in Albuquerque, NM.

Participated in phone screening call. Basic Behavior Questions in STAR format.

Next was in person panel interview. They flew me out to Albuquerque and put me up in a hotel for the night. Next morning, met with Unit Manager and another TSM. Filled out some paperwork that was misplaced by someone thinking that my application was for some other territory. This took about 30 minutes before we were able to actually start the interview. I was then handed a packet of fictional sales data for a hypothetical company. I was to review the information and participate in a case study. Then answered some more behavioral questions.

After the panel interview, we went out in the field and participated actively in the TSM role. Only visited 2 outlets before they had to have me back to the airport for my return flight.

Overall, positive interview, nice folks and I would have loved to receive a job offer.

Interview Questions

• The case study was difficult, make sure you're prepared to actually sell to someone. I wasn't.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Altria.

Interview

There is an initial interview, panel interview which includes a case study, and a day in the field. All questions are centered around the companies values and leadership responsibilities. Typically it is college graduates asking the questions so the interviewers are looking for unique answers instead of the same answers about the same class/group projects.

Interview Questions

• When is a time that you failed because you were in a group?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. The offered salary was good.