Altria

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.4

Sales Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altria.

Altria's recruitment process was extremely thorough. They did a really god job on giving the candidate an experience that allowed you to understand what was going to occur in the future.

Interview Questions
    • There was a business case that required you to sell a product on the spot, which is what made the process extremely difficult.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altria.

I got connected with Altria by a friend I knew and after sending my resume and cover letter in I had a phone screen interview scheduled within 3 weeks or so.

The interview lasted about 40 minutes. We went through my background and then on to some questions. First question I was asked was how did I creatively solve a problem. Next question was what is the most complicated data set I've ever dealt with. And then I was given a situational question of what would I do if I told an account that there was a promotion available that would allow me and the customer to both reach our quarterly quotas. But I checked into it later and realized the promotion no longer existed. What do I do with pressure from my boss to reach my quota?

I found the question confusing as I don't know exactly how their company operates in situations like this or how many alternate promotions may be available. I answered that I would be honest with my customer even if it meant my numbers wouldn't reach my quota. I then said I would work to find another promotional option that could allow us to both reach our quotas.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a situational question of what would I do if I told an account that there was a promotion available that would allow me and the customer to both reach our quarterly quotas. But I checked into it later and realized the promotion no longer existed.   View Answers (2)

Summer Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Altria.

Applied through college career website and dropped off resume at career fair. First round of interviews was straightforward behavioral questions combined with a mini-case regarding an ethical issue. They made a decision right then and there to invite me back for a second round the next day. The second round was more challenge business problem that you had to analyze and present to company reps. They then followed that with 3-4 more challenging behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had multiple things going on. How did you prioritize?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altria.

Initial basic background interview, then an interview on Altria's campus with two behavioral questions and a hypothetical (not really a case analysis). Pretty simple stuff. The second interview was in their marketing office (which unsurprisingly smelled of cigarettes) and was a panel interview with a few members of their staff who seemed engaged. The questions were not difficult.

Internship Interview

Behavioral interview, really awful I was uncomfortable and it had nothing to do with the job at all. These questions were ridiculous. "tell me a time you were creative." I suggest you have a better attitude than mine by the time I was done talking to these people I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions
    • "describe a time when you had a problem with someone you worked with"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, and it was a very smooth process. I had two on campus interviews, then I went on a ride-along type interview where I basically shadowed one of their TSMs (territory sales managers) for an entire day. That was more of a selling point for them as to why altria, rather than an interview for me.

Interview Questions
    • They had me read a packet and make a pitch to them as to why to buy a certain product.   Answer Question

I declined simply because I saw that I wasn't really interested in Tobacco sales.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altria in February 2014.

3 rounds of interviews. the most difficult part is the second round where you have to analyze a case study and show your findings to a panel of interviewers. Then you partake in a mock conversation with a store owner who is not selling enough of your product. Lastly, you are asked some more behavorial questions, like name a time when you were on a team that struggled. Explain what happened and what you learned from it, or something to that effect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Altria in February 2014.

Started off with a basic phone screen. Then an interview with a group of managers. The following step was a day out in the field riding with a manger.

Interview Questions
    • During the day in the field there were a lot of questions about what you would do or how you would change things the current TSM is doing. It was a very interesting process. For the 2nd interview, you are given 30 minutes to prepare a sales plan for a consumer product. It's a tough process.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Altria in February 2014.

The interview process is extremely easy in my opinion. You have two sets of interviews and then a day in the field. The first interview is a panel interview with a couple of company representatives that ask you some basic behavioral questions and about your experience.

This is followed by another panel interview where you will be asked to sell something and basically demonstrate your sales abilities. Personally for me it was very simple, however I can imagine it can be a bit difficult if you have trouble interacting with others and poor analytical skills. Then just some more behavioral questions and they'll ask if you have a problem with selling tobacco.

Last one is a day in the field where they basically try to sell you on the idea of Altria and tell you how great it is, basically be yourself and be confident. If you just do that you'll get an offer.

Interview Questions

Wasn't sure it was for me, because the work seemed a bit boring plus I had other offers.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Altria in February 2014.

Standardized "HR" type questions in first two of three interview steps (2-phone, 3rd;last - in person). Third interview step was in person; very technical - really enjoyes getting to meet potential collegues. Great place to work; fantastic facilities and equipment for research - just not doing much research.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to choose between hiring someone most qualified and someone who was not so qualified but met a certian demographic - how did you handle this?   Answer Question

Scope of research oppoprtunities outside "routine" work seems very limited.