Altria Territory Sales Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Altria.

The initial contact was from someone in admin and she explained that the sales managers were interested in interviewing me for a "screening" interview. They select the dates and times and ask if those are good times for you. I was told that there was a total of 3 interviews before being hired for this position/company.

The first interview is a "screening" interview where they ask you behavioral questions. There are 3 sections of questions during the screening interview. The questions cover your work history and skills, how you work with other people, and how you perform in leadership roles. The most important question is the question where they would like you to answer in the S.T.A.R. (or S.C.A.R.) format. That stands for Situation Task Action Results (or Situation Challenge Action Results). If you are unfamiliar with this form of answering, you can find a link to it on the Altria website in the "Careers" section. This interview was 30 to 45 minutes long.

The second interview is a panel interview with more than one person at the same time. And the third interview is a field interview where a Sales Manager takes you out in the field to show you a typical day in this job position.

Both the person that initially contacted me and the person that performed the screening interview were very nice and very professional.

Interview Questions
  • STAR Question: The question was a WWYD question where I was asked what I would do if a client made a purchase based on a current promotion and signed the contract, only to find out that the promotion was changed at the last minute that morning before the client signed the contract and without the client being aware that the promotion had been changed. Upon finding out about the change, the client asked to return the products for a full refund. But since the contract was already signed, your sales manager tells you that there is nothing they can do because it is written in the contract and they have to honor it. What would you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Altria

Anonymous Employee  in  Laramie, WY
    Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Altria in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for Altria after I email him my resume in response to an email I had received from my university's college of business regarding Territory Sales Manager positions Altria was filling in Jackson, WY, Seattle, and Bellingham, WA. I said I was very interested in the company and the position so two days later, the recruiter called me again and I set up an interview for the next week on campus. I thought the interview was fairly straightforward. There were two men interviewing me, one was the recruiter that had contacted me and the other I assume was a Territory Sales Manager (he conducted the majority of the interview). They asked a lot about my education and work background and my experience so far. They also asked a few behavioral questions.

To be honest, I was not impressed with the recruiter at all. When he initially contacted me, he of course mentioned the positions in Washington state and Jackson. However, when I got to the interview, he said "alright, so you're interviewing for the position in Rock Springs, WY." I was very shocked because a position in Rock Springs was NEVER mentioned to me before the interview. When I asked about the positions in Washington, he said they had been filled. I was very irritated that nothing had been said to me before the interview. I was still interested because I needed a job and this would have been a great opportunity, but their lack of communication and honesty beforehand did not impress me.

I got an email about a week later saying that I was not going to be interviewed any further, which I was kind of thankful for because of the initial interview and the thought of having to live in Rock Springs. For a company whose largest product is tobacco, they seem to be a pretty great company.

Interview Questions
    • Say you're trying to meet your sales quota for the month and you have a buyer that will buy from you and allow you to reach that goal. However, you realize later that you quoted the buyer incorrect prices and the products are actually selling for more than the buyer thinks. How would you handle this situation.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Altria in June 2014.

-Position is more of merchandising role than sales.

-1st interview is "screening". Basically will be asked a series of impersonal questions and expected to answer like a corporate zombie. Interviewer will not ask any questions about you.

-Those fresh out of college and unfamiliar with how human beings communicate in the real world will be good at this interview.

-be sure to brush up on corporate platitudes--bonus points for this!!!

-be good at going through the motions.

-know the STAR method for answering a question---interviewer will probably specifically ask you to answer in this format.

-2nd interview will consist of a panel where you again are expected to speak in corporate platitudes and "sell" college textbool style.

-When you ask for the job as a true salesman would, expect them to say "we have a number of applicants and you will know one way of the other"...... Expect then to hear nothing.

-realize that big companies are the most inflexible and offer the least opportunity for you to effect change.

-start your own business and dont be a slave to a corporation that discourages your creativity and limits your ability to live a free life.

-cheers!

Interview Questions
    • Use the STAR method to tell us about a time you were able to change something at your previous/current employer.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Altria.

There is an initial interview, panel interview which includes a case study, and a day in the field. All questions are centered around the companies values and leadership responsibilities. Typically it is college graduates asking the questions so the interviewers are looking for unique answers instead of the same answers about the same class/group projects.

Interview Questions
    • When is a time that you failed because you were in a group?   Answer Question
    There wasn't much negotiation. The offered salary was good.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Altria in February 2014.

The interview process is extremely easy in my opinion. You have two sets of interviews and then a day in the field. The first interview is a panel interview with a couple of company representatives that ask you some basic behavioral questions and about your experience.

This is followed by another panel interview where you will be asked to sell something and basically demonstrate your sales abilities. Personally for me it was very simple, however I can imagine it can be a bit difficult if you have trouble interacting with others and poor analytical skills. Then just some more behavioral questions and they'll ask if you have a problem with selling tobacco.

Last one is a day in the field where they basically try to sell you on the idea of Altria and tell you how great it is, basically be yourself and be confident. If you just do that you'll get an offer.

Interview Questions

Wasn't sure it was for me, because the work seemed a bit boring plus I had other offers.

Anonymous Employee  in  Penn State University, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Penn State University, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Altria in April 2014.

Initial communications occurred at a Penn State career fair where I was directed to apply online. After my online application, response time was very fast, they informed me that my interview would be the next day. In the interview there was a hiring manager and a territory sales manager working on a promotion. They both started within the company in the position I was applying for. They asked how I heard about the company and a lot of the basic interview quesitons; what are your strengths, weaknesses, favorite job and favorite boss. Next they asked about situations that were specific to my life such as a leadership roles I held and problems I faced. They like to use a method called STAR to describe these events. Where STAR is an acronym: Situation faced Task to be completed Action to be taken Result. For the first round of interviews, everything you need to know about how to interview well is listed on their company website under interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • They ask about your moral objections to selling their products.   View Answer

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altria.

3 step process
    1) face to face screen interview- behavioral questions
    2) Panel interview with case study and in depth behavioral questions
    3) A day in the field- candidate goes and sees accounts with a territory sales manager and unit manager

Process can be short or London depending on the timing or local management

Interview Questions
    • If you were given a territory today, what information would you want to know before entering the territory?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Altria in February 2014.

After meeting with the representatives at a job fair I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview that was suppose to be 20 minutes

Interview Questions
    • If you were owned a shoe company how would you advertise your shoes.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altria in October 2010.

There were 3 interviews stemming from a college career fair. First interview with Unit Manager(s) and possibly a Territory Sales Manager. 2nd interview with Unit Manager(s). 3rd interview with Unit Manager and District Manager as a "day in the field/ride along." Upon obtaining a 3rd interview, there is a good chance that you will receive an offer. They are looking for you to be engaged, excited, and willing to pitch in throughout the day although you may have no idea what you're doing.

Interview Questions
    • If there are initiatives that the company is asking you to deliver upon but it does not fit well with one of your customers, do you carry out the initiative with that customer although it is probably not the best move for your customer?   View Answer

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Altria.

Met at Career Fair. Enjoyed talking to employees. Interview was a 2-on-1 situation and they asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!