Altria

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Average Difficulty
77 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Laramie, WY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Altria in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter for Altria after I email him my resume in response to an email I had received from my university's college of business regarding Territory Sales Manager positions Altria was filling in Jackson, WY, Seattle, and Bellingham, WA. I said I was very interested in the company and the position so two days later, the recruiter called me again and I set up an interview for the next week on campus. I thought the interview was fairly straightforward. There were two men interviewing me, one was the recruiter that had contacted me and the other I assume was a Territory Sales Manager (he conducted the majority of the interview). They asked a lot about my education and work background and my experience so far. They also asked a few behavioral questions.

To be honest, I was not impressed with the recruiter at all. When he initially contacted me, he of course mentioned the positions in Washington state and Jackson. However, when I got to the interview, he said "alright, so you're interviewing for the position in Rock Springs, WY." I was very shocked because a position in Rock Springs was NEVER mentioned to me before the interview. When I asked about the positions in Washington, he said they had been filled. I was very irritated that nothing had been said to me before the interview. I was still interested because I needed a job and this would have been a great opportunity, but their lack of communication and honesty beforehand did not impress me.

I got an email about a week later saying that I was not going to be interviewed any further, which I was kind of thankful for because of the initial interview and the thought of having to live in Rock Springs. For a company whose largest product is tobacco, they seem to be a pretty great company.

Interview Question – Say you're trying to meet your sales quota for the month and you have a buyer that will buy from you and allow you to reach that goal. However, you realize later that you quoted the buyer incorrect prices and the products are actually selling for more than the buyer thinks. How would you handle this situation.   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Altria in June 2014.

Interview Details – -Position is more of merchandising role than sales.

-1st interview is "screening". Basically will be asked a series of impersonal questions and expected to answer like a corporate zombie. Interviewer will not ask any questions about you.

-Those fresh out of college and unfamiliar with how human beings communicate in the real world will be good at this interview.

-be sure to brush up on corporate platitudes--bonus points for this!!!

-be good at going through the motions.

-know the STAR method for answering a question---interviewer will probably specifically ask you to answer in this format.

-2nd interview will consist of a panel where you again are expected to speak in corporate platitudes and "sell" college textbool style.

-When you ask for the job as a true salesman would, expect them to say "we have a number of applicants and you will know one way of the other"...... Expect then to hear nothing.

-realize that big companies are the most inflexible and offer the least opportunity for you to effect change.

-start your own business and dont be a slave to a corporation that discourages your creativity and limits your ability to live a free life.

-cheers!

Interview Question – Use the STAR method to tell us about a time you were able to change something at your previous/current employer.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Altria.

Interview Details – There is an initial interview, panel interview which includes a case study, and a day in the field. All questions are centered around the companies values and leadership responsibilities. Typically it is college graduates asking the questions so the interviewers are looking for unique answers instead of the same answers about the same class/group projects.

Interview Question – When is a time that you failed because you were in a group?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation. The offered salary was good.

Penn State University, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Altria in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communications occurred at a Penn State career fair where I was directed to apply online. After my online application, response time was very fast, they informed me that my interview would be the next day. In the interview there was a hiring manager and a territory sales manager working on a promotion. They both started within the company in the position I was applying for. They asked how I heard about the company and a lot of the basic interview quesitons; what are your strengths, weaknesses, favorite job and favorite boss. Next they asked about situations that were specific to my life such as a leadership roles I held and problems I faced. They like to use a method called STAR to describe these events. Where STAR is an acronym: Situation faced Task to be completed Action to be taken Result. For the first round of interviews, everything you need to know about how to interview well is listed on their company website under interviewing.

Interview Question – They ask about your moral objections to selling their products.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Altria in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is extremely easy in my opinion. You have two sets of interviews and then a day in the field. The first interview is a panel interview with a couple of company representatives that ask you some basic behavioral questions and about your experience.

This is followed by another panel interview where you will be asked to sell something and basically demonstrate your sales abilities. Personally for me it was very simple, however I can imagine it can be a bit difficult if you have trouble interacting with others and poor analytical skills. Then just some more behavioral questions and they'll ask if you have a problem with selling tobacco.

Last one is a day in the field where they basically try to sell you on the idea of Altria and tell you how great it is, basically be yourself and be confident. If you just do that you'll get an offer.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wasn't sure it was for me, because the work seemed a bit boring plus I had other offers.

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altria.

Interview Details – 3 step process
1) face to face screen interview- behavioral questions
2) Panel interview with case study and in depth behavioral questions
3) A day in the field- candidate goes and sees accounts with a territory sales manager and unit manager

Process can be short or London depending on the timing or local management

Interview Question – If you were given a territory today, what information would you want to know before entering the territory?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altria in February 2014.

Interview Details – After meeting with the representatives at a job fair I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview that was suppose to be 20 minutes

Interview Question – If you were owned a shoe company how would you advertise your shoes.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Altria.

Interview Details – Met at Career Fair. Enjoyed talking to employees. Interview was a 2-on-1 situation and they asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – They asked a series of situational questions   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altria in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were 3 interviews stemming from a college career fair. First interview with Unit Manager(s) and possibly a Territory Sales Manager. 2nd interview with Unit Manager(s). 3rd interview with Unit Manager and District Manager as a "day in the field/ride along." Upon obtaining a 3rd interview, there is a good chance that you will receive an offer. They are looking for you to be engaged, excited, and willing to pitch in throughout the day although you may have no idea what you're doing.

Interview Question – If there are initiatives that the company is asking you to deliver upon but it does not fit well with one of your customers, do you carry out the initiative with that customer although it is probably not the best move for your customer?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altria.

Interview Details – The interview is a 3 step process. The first round of interviews is usually with 2 people who can be anywhere from a high performing TSM, a unit manager or even a district manger. During this interview we ask questions which make you provide examples from your previous work or classroom experience. Such examples include a time you displayed leadership, worked in a group setting, or received feedback and how you applied it. The second interview can be with anywhere from 2-3 people and this process has changed as of recently. It now entails you going over a case study. You are given 30 minutes prior to the interview to look over the case and answer a few questions around profitability and which product would you choose in an A vs B format. All of the necessary information and formulas are given to you and they want to see your train of though and rational and not necessarily a correct answer, although that certainly helps. The final interview is a day in the field shadowing the position you are applying for.'this is to make sure that we think you are good for this role as well as for you to see if this is a position you can see yourself in.

Interview Question – A question around coworkers using non authorized means to achieve good results and what you would do about it. That want to see if you would rat them out or try and work it out without management getting involved   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was right out of college and I started at $55,000 which was the starting salary and was given a few $K signing bonus.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!