Altria Territory Sales Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Lewisburg, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by the District Manager and set up a phone interview. During the phone interview was asked about my resume and some behavior questions. (Need to use the STAR format when responding) was told that I would know by the following Friday if moving on to the next phase of the process that is a Face to Face interview along with completing a Case Study. Received a call the next day asking if I was still interested in the position and set up the face to face interview for the following Friday. Was then asked to fill out a formal application and required to print off and bring to the face to face interview. Upon greeting the interviewers I was given a deck of paper a calculator along with 30 minutes to prepare the case study for a fictitious Coffee company with sales figures and asked to analyze it and compete the case study along with prepare a sales pitch to a grocery store manager to convince her to reduce the retail price along with increase sales. It's a given you will be overcoming objections from the store manager during a role play during the interview. Stack the numbers and really focus on them. Know how to compute penny profit, margin etc. Then a few more behavior STAR format questions. Takes about an hour to complete. Was told that I would know by Monday one way or another if I would be invited to a day in the trade to interact with customers and job shadow a experienced TSM and District Manager. The following Monday I received an email from Altria's recruiting department stating that at this time they wouldn't be offering employment. I was really shocked because this position was directly in line with previous positions I've held in large CPG companies. I felt the case study and role play was spot on and delivered quite well and thorough however was not invited for the day in the trade. I applied to a listed posting for the area and was told by the hiring manager that the position was open and wanted it filed ASAP I still continue to see the position advertised and even have been contacted by the Altria's in house recruiter asking me to express interest in the same position and apply for the same position I was interviewed for and was told that I wouldn't be offered employment at this time. Attempts to confirm with the hiring manager has gone with unanswered emails and texts. Who knows maybe just building a pool of applicants for upcoming openings.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had plans to do X and at the last minute were asked to rearrange your schedule to meet more pressing needs.   Answer Question
  • What is a Goal you have set and how did you work to accomplish it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Altria

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Altria (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Screening interview, Behavioral questions, Case study, Day in the field. The first interview was an informal screening process that asked general behavioral questions. The second part of the process included a panel interview with a case study and written questions behavioral questions. The final step of the interview was a day in the field with a territory sales manager and unit manager to get a better hands on feel for the day to day job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to convince a group of people?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Altria in May 2015.

Interview

Found out about the company through a friend who loved his time there as an intern. Went to a career fair to meet some of the recruiters. Very positive event. 2 weeks later was scheduled for an initial interview for the position in my home state. Found out 2 weeks later that I would move on to the panel interview. This was actually a little tough but still achievable. Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks so I reached out to the office assistant who told me that someone was supposed to reach out to me last week to schedule the final portion of the interview. 3 weeks later I went on my ride along and felt I did very well. It's been a week and haven't heard anything.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Better be prepared to answer behavioral questions in the STAR format. The interview process is very difficult and takes a long time. During the panel interview, you are asked to roll play. During the roll play the managers in the room challenge you and ask several redundant questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you received negative feedback and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Three phases: Introductory, panel, job tryout Intro phases was very easy, common interview questions and a few behavioral Panel was a bit more challening--you need to make a sales pitch Job tryout is a day in the field

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Springfield, MO) in December 2014.

Interview

I was called the day after I sent in my resume. After a 5 minute phone conversation, I was invited to interview with 2 managers. That same week I went to my first interview. I was called within 2 hours and was invited to a second interview. The following week I drove 3 hours one way to meet the same 2 managers and the regional manager. I was told if I was going to move onto the next step (a ride along) I would be called in 2 days. Otherwise, I'd receive an email. I got an email almost 3 weeks later stating I was not chosen to move on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with management. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Very technical/ situational questions. Star format. About an hour long interview, 3 different interviews. Very detailed answers are expected. Also have to answer a financial selling situation question. Expected to understand basics of cost/ profit & margin calculations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to analyze and apply data.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me a base salary & I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altria (Athens, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through my school. Recruiters came to interview me on campus and the interview lasted about 45 minutes. There were a lot of behavioral and situation questions, so be prepared for that. Also be prepared to back up your answers with follow up and why you answered the way that you did. They are looking for persistence.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to sell and idea or product to someone.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Extensive interview process. The first interview was a phone interview with the district manager. It lasted around 45 min. We reviewed my resume, and he asked what I knew about Altria. The next interview was with the unit and district manager. A quick review of the resume again followed by a series of STAR questions. The entire process lasted 45 min. The third interview was a panel interview at the Regional HQ. You arrive and are immediately given sales data for a fictitious coffee company you have to develop a sales call designed to stimulate increased promotion and sales of the coffee to a grocery store manager. You then go to the interview room and role play your sales call with the 4 members of the panel. It's fun so enjoy it! After that another STAR question or two. The final interview was a day in the field. I rode with the Unit Manager and was asked to present the products and work with the store employee's. This is an interview from the time you start until the end of the day. Once again enjoy it, it's fun. Everyone I met during the interview process was friendly, helpful and professional. Just don't expect to know how you did, they all have great poker faces.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to work with others to achieve a goal.   1 Answer

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria in January 2015.

Interview

Initial screen- informal one on one meeting with area manager Behavioral Interview- Behavioral and Situational questions, looking for the STAR method response Panel Case Study- given sales case study with market statistics, consumer insights. Have 30 minutes to formulate a plan and develop a sales pitch. Followed up with more behavioral/situational questions Day in the field- job shadow

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to prioritize tasks and choose one thing over another?   Answer Question