Alvarez & Marsal

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in February 2014.

Interview Details – The process lasted about a month. Met with 3 different managers. Sat at different times and discussed why wanted to be part of A&M and what am I looking to get out of it. Each discussion lasted about an hour

Interview Question – Why would you want to work at A&M   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

Interview Details – As an experienced hire I went through several phone screens with managers, directors and Managing Directors (Partner). I then had a lunch with a director and manager while in town, and was invited back for a formal onsite interview day, where I was interviewed by three different people - two directors and one Partner, and then went to lunch with a manager. It was a pretty typical interview process - where they wanted to get to know me, my experience and my ability to handle challenging customer interactions.

Interview Question – Nothing I wasn't prepared to answer- all very straightforward.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in February 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from the recruiter a few weeks after I applied to a position. We had a quick conversation and he said he would pass my resume to the hiring manager. About a month and a half later, I received an email from a hiring manager. She didn't know which position I applied for, which I thought was a little odd. We spoke a few days later, and that was it. The interview process was very long and unprofessional. Advice to HR--if you aren't interested in the candidate, just send us a quick email so we can move on.

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in September 2012.

Interview Details – I came in as an experienced hire. Because I traveled for work previous to A&M, I was given 3 phone interviews, 2 of them were basic screening interviews performed by HR and a manager. The 3rd was given by a director level. After the interviews, I was brought in for 3 in person office interviews. The first 2 interviews were basic behavioral and get to know you interviews. The 3rd was a case question. Given only an hour, there weren't many numbers involved. It was mostly a question to determine how I think through a problem. Basic premise of the question was to determine how to improve efficiency of the inventory management business process for an oil & gas client.

Interview Question – The case question involved a real-world project. It was tough simply because the director already had a set answer in mind (the recommendation his team suggested to the client).   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in October 2011.

Interview Details – I understand that my qualifications might not meet A&M's selective standards, but my interviewer who is a senior director at the firm berated me and questioned every detail of my resume. He is a very knowledgeable and experienced consultant who has worked in large consulting firms before, but that does not give him the right to lecture me and to give me a life lesson. A&M is one of the most prestigious consulting firms in the world, but I did not feel happy after the interview.

Interview Question – "Ask yourself if you are really interested in consulting."   Answer Question

Houston, TX

Interview Details – First Round was a one on one with a managing director. Compared to other consulting firm interviews this one was very casual and didn't even involve a case. My interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my personality instead of just my intelligence which I appreciated.

Second Round they invite you to the office for a group case interview. You are put into a team and are given a limited amount of time to analyze some data and present your suggestions/findings. It was a very positive experience (though it can be very stressful for some) and they got back to me very quickly to make an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience with various recruiters so far.   Answer Question

Urbana, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in October 2010.

Interview Details – I just finished the 1st round phone interview with A&E. True to all the other reviews, its was much more like a conversation or a personality interview than a (tell me about a time when...) interview. I actually gave him a few (tell me about a time when...) responses and he cut me off and said, "hey im just trying to gauge your personality"

Because of that, il give it 50/50 that i get asked for a second round on site interview. In general, the interviewer seemed nice and was easy to talk to.

Best of luck!

Interview Question – tell me about this (work experience) on your resume...   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for a new graduate consultant position through my university's career center. A few weeks later I was invited for an on-campus interview with a senior director and a current consultant. The interview was relatively relaxed and included a variety of personality, situational ("tell me about a time when..."), and background questions. The two interviewers were very good at conducting a back-and-forth discussion rather than a straight-from-the-book interview. I felt the interview was one of my best and left with a very positive impression of the company.

About one week later I was invited back for an interview with a managing director. The interview took place at a public cafe, which was a mixed bag. On the one hand, the public environment made for a more casual, more informal interview that I typically excel at. On the other hand, I was extremely conscious of my etiquette because we were eating and drinking. The interviewer asked specific, yet open-ended questions such as "tell me three things you like about website X and one thing you would change about it and how you would do it." It was obvious the interviewer was intelligent and knew his stuff. Regardless of the environment, I was very pleased with the interview and interviewer.

Another week or so later I was invited back for a final interview at the company's local office. The interview began first thing in the morning and lasted about 3 to 4 hours total. First, I interviewed with a director. Most of her questions were typical interview questions such as "tell me more about this on your resume" and "tell me about a time when..." The interviewer also asked me an algorithm question that somewhat caught me off-guard. I felt I did an OK job answering her question, but not as well I should have or wanted to answer it.

My next interview was with a consultant I would potentially work with for my first project. He had a great personality and asked several fun, yet challenging questions. For example, he asked me to estimate the number of windows in the city, with the focus being more on how you calculate your estimate and less on the actual estimate. It was different than the typical interview and was a great opportunity to showcase my critical thinking skills.

Finally I interviewed again with the managing director I previously met at a cafe. His questions focused more on why I wanted to work as a consultant and how my long-term career goals would fit the company. I appreciated the interviewers questions because they showed he and the company were concerned with long-term relationships instead of just short-term opportunities. The interview concluded with the managing director stating the company wanted to hire me and a promise that he would be in touch before the end of the week to discuss the specifics.

True to his word, I heard back from the managing director promptly. He made a verbal offer, which I accepted, and told me operations/HR would contact me shortly to complete the requisite paperwork.

All in all, I was very impressed with the people and the entire interview process. Everyone I met with had a great attitude and made a positive impression on me. In addition, everyone kept their word and contacted me when they promised they would contact me. I cannot say enough good things about this company and its people.

Interview Question – Construct an algorithm that identifies at-risk students and notifies teachers, parents, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked if salary is negotiable and was told it could be for individuals with more experience or specific skill sets.

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in November 2009.

Interview Details – In depth interview. Asked a lot of how previous experience would relate to consulting position. Asked a lot of "what if" questions. Good experience. Very professional and straightforward. Lasted about an hour. Make sure you are prepared.

Interview Question – How will your previous experience help you with consulting?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in October 2008.

Interview Details – There was a simulated case with a team of other candidates. The process is enjoyable and well-designed - I believe it gives the employer more insight into the candidates while also allowing candidates to gain a better understanding of expectations and competition.

Interview Question – Are you sure your long term interests are in the field of business consulting?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Alvarez & Marsal

Worked for Alvarez & Marsal? Contribute to the Community!