Alvarez & Marsal

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.1

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

A series of meetings with different members of practice leadership, both off-site and i their offices. The focus was on existing relationships and how to help grow sales. As i moved between Directors, notes / comments were not passed along (from the prior interviewers) making each session a repeat of the prior conversation. There was no follow up at any stage of the process and I had to reach to them each time to move things along.

Analyst Interview

They have a pretty standard consulting interview process. You submit your resume and then they may invite you to do a case and behavioral interview. I was not invited to the second round interviews.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

This interview review is for an experienced consultant. I had a friend that worked in the company and helped me get a screening lunch meeting with a director. The screening lunch was basically a "get to know you" deal. After that, I had three in-person interviews, all in one day. The first two interviews were behavioral - pretty much just asking me about my resume, my experience, and how I would handle certain situations (What would you do if you and a co-worker did not agree on something?). The third was a case interview where I had to walk through the steps of solving a problem and managing the resolution of the problem (basically solving for the root cause, then going through how the project would be run).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. The case interview was more project focused and less "How many planes are in the air right now" type problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

The interview was fairly rigorous with a director asking relatively detailed questions and addressing every nook and cranny of my resume. Relatively basic behavioral questions initially, with a couple of technical questions about scenarios that may pertain to an engagement or work assignment, but definitely fair and looks to see how you think.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a general question about liquidity ratios and capital structure in final interview.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

What is your strength? What is your weakness?Why should we hire you?Why our firm?Tell me about yourself. Go through each line of your resume. Interviewer is very nice. No hard questions.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

My first interview with A&M was on campus. The interview was conducted by one of the company's partners who was very nice and easy to talk with. After a few weeks the company had me come to their office in Chicago where I interviewed with five other employees whom I would be working with. They generally asked similar questions about past experiences and my interest in the firm etc. All of them were very nice and easy to talk to as well.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. I reviewed information on A&M and prepared for the interview.   Answer Question

Performance Improvement Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in September 2014.

I applied through a college career website and got an email a couple weeks later that I had an on campus interview. The interview lasted an hour. First half hour was behavioral questions and the second half hour was a case study. Interviewer did not ask me about my resume at all.

Interview Questions
    • The business case regarding increasing profits and strategies was difficult.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in July 2014.

Met with many people, senior and junior, in the office. They all took time to talk about their work, experiences and expectations. Everyone seemed intelligent, yet down-to-earth. Also, they really took the time to get to know me as a person and my likes/dislikes from a professional standpoint. Interview questions revolved around modeling certain scenarios and light accounting questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were about examples of relevant experiences.   View Answer

Got another offer

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

I have been approached by talent acquisition through a referral. Reviewed the business and decided to meet with the company. Had a few in person and phone interviews with talent acquisition folks first, followed by office visits and meetings with senior team members to review my background, motivation and fit with the company.

Interview Questions

I was reviewing multiple opportunities and another offer came with a better risk/reward profile for me.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in February 2014.

The process lasted about a month. Met with 3 different managers. Sat at different times and discussed why wanted to be part of A&M and what am I looking to get out of it. Each discussion lasted about an hour