Alvarez & Marsal

2.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

HIG Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

Group case interview

none

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in October 2012.

Phone interview first folowed by in person interview in their offices

Interview Questions
    • If you are prepared for the lifestyle/demands of a job with a consulting firm,   View Answers (2)

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in October 2011.

I understand that my qualifications might not meet A&M's selective standards, but my interviewer who is a senior director at the firm berated me and questioned every detail of my resume. He is a very knowledgeable and experienced consultant who has worked in large consulting firms before, but that does not give him the right to lecture me and to give me a life lesson. A&M is one of the most prestigious consulting firms in the world, but I did not feel happy after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • "Ask yourself if you are really interested in consulting."   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in August 2009.

Initial interview: Technical, included a written exam and multiple rounds from various different levels in the group. Included review of previous client work, level of comfort in front of clients, and a few case interview questions regarding how I would behave in hypothetical situations in front of a client.
    MD interview: Summarized long term goal, asked for my own objectives, and went over the compensation model.

Interview Questions
    • How would you run a bankruptcy project as the entitiy's administrator?   View Answer
    I did not pursue negotiations. I was looking to leave my current employer more than they were looking to grow their practice. In the end it worked out very well for me as I was able to make a name for myself relatively quickly in my immediate group, and the compensation has followed.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alvarez & Marsal in January 2008.

At the time of my interview, I had only heard of the firm through a friend who worked there. I put in my application as a backup, but was blow away by the opportunities the firm has to offer its employees.

Do: Your homework about the partners you will be interviewing, the fields they work in, and what that work entails. Also, unlike some firms it is encouraged that you have real conversations during the recruitment and show personality.

Don't: Ask questions that can be found on the front page of the website and avoid asking to many generic questions. Alvarez prides itself on hiring inteligent people who can solve complicated questions.

Positives: Friendly people, great offices, very competitive pay, great opportunity for advancement
    Negatives: The firm is young so some of the kinks are still being worked out with in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • How much should you charge to wash all the windows in our building?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness, and your answer can't be a positive (such as too hard of a work, caring too much, etc.)   Answer Question
    They are willing to negotiate if you bring the right qualities to the table. However, realize that they aren't going to move too much because their compensation packages are already quite competitive.