Amazon Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.4

Cloud Infrastructure Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

The first interview was pretty chill. I felt very comfortable speaking with the guy on the other side of the phone. He wanted me to tell him about projects that I had overcome, challenges that I had to face in the past, etc. After a week the recruiter contacted me again for a second technical phone screen. In this second interview the person on the other side was also very nice. He let me know first that it was very possible that I don't know some of the questions, which made me feel less nervous. There were so many questions in a row, some of them very typical such as the difference between UDP and TCP, NAS vs SAN, etc. He barely asked me about AWS, which I had studied the most. The experience was great, although I didn't get an offer.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Consulting (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

I have just completed my second phone interview and was told that HR will contact me for an in person interview. The first phone interview was with the hiring manager who asked me to walk through my resume. It was pretty standard although you were expected to know the website pretty thoroughly so you'd be screwed if you didn't do your homework. I didn't get a good feeling from the interview because it was pretty brief. I was quick to judge but it ended up fine. Perhaps the hiring manager was busy to get to another meeting or his personality was a bit quirky. Who knows. All I know is that he gave good feedback to the second interviewer. The second interviewer asked me the same questions as the first one so they must be coached. I did connect with this person better and she provided a lot more insight as to what the position entailed. So far I'd say, the process has been pretty standard and the follow up from HR has been timely. We'll see how the in person interview goes!

Interview Questions

• Tell me three areas of improvements for a better consumer experience on amazon.com.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon Consulting (Seattle, WA) in March 2009.

Interview

should have good understanding of algorithms and operating system concepts.

SDE2 Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon Consulting.

Interview

Very structured process. They check the person's knowledge from very root level..real knowledge test.

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Consulting (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)).

Interview

I submitted my CV and Cover letter through their site. After a couple of weeks they sent me an e-mail explaining the recruitment process: "...The steps are as follows: 1. Review of your CV 2. Numerical Reasoning test (Online 20 minute test designed to measure your numerical and analytical ability). This will be sent to you by our provider Kenexa within the next couple of days. Please also check your spambox as sometimes invitations end up there. The test should be completed within 5 days of receiving it. 3. Telephone Interview (s) (Competency Based) 4. In-house Interview (Competency Based) In order to proceed to the next step in our recruitment process, you need to be successful at each stage...." The same day I got the test link from Kenexa: "...You have been invited by Amazon to complete an online assessment as part of the application process. Please complete this test within the next five working days...." So those who apply better get some experience with this test right away, since five days may not be enough for good preparation. You also need a good calculator since you should be extremely fast to answer the test questions. Mine - HP 12c - that is specially designed for financial calculations has really done a good job, though the test was harder than expected. I enjoyed it anyway, it is similar to the GMAT a bit. I was actually not too proud of my result since I could not finish the test within 20 min. but after a couple of days they still invited me for a phone interview with one of their colleagues working in the same position for couple of years. "Your telephone interview will be a competency based interview based on Amazon’s leadership principles which you can find on our careers website." Amazon have 14 leadership principles and I actually think they are like "Essentials of Drucker in 14 points" so if you are familiar with Drucker's works you find the principles easy to understand. I highly recommend to get familiar with the book: "The daily Drucker" to get more insight, and it is a great book anyway, in case you aspire for high level job. (You can order from Amazon too :) The questions on the phone interview: Describe a current business problem you solved, and what you learned along the way. Describe the metrics you use in your business to measure progress and result. Why did you apply? Altogether we finished it in 30-40 minutes. I truly enjoyed the conversation, but it seems I was not convincing enough. So next day they informed me about the negative result. Anyway I considered the whole process very interesting and educational. I learned a lot along the way too, so it was not a wasted time for me...

Interview Questions

• Get ready for competency based STAR interview questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon Consulting in September 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon Recruiter after submitting my resume to the company's online career site. The first interview was over the phone with one of the teams SDET's. We went over my background and then used an online sharing program to code a problem that my interviewer could see real time. After passing the first phone screen I then was setup for a second phone interview with the team manager. We went over the current projects I was working on at my current job and then went over some scenarios testing a simple web app. We then discussed what the steps would be for filing a bug and any other items that should be added to the bug. Finally we went over the difference between Agile developement verses Waterfall type development and discussed the pros and cons of each. I was then offered to come into the office and interview with approximately 6 to 7 Amazonians. The panel consisted of SDETS, SDEs, QAEs, Recruiter, and Team Manager. Each interviewer went through testing various components in software from a simple application up to a 3 tiered system. The main advice I can give people interviewing for this position is make sure you have thorough knowledge of all the test areas. The one area that I failed to shine on was load testing of a system. Good Luck

Interview Questions

• Read a function that took 2 integers in and returned the a to the nth power. Evaluate the function and tell them if the function would work.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon Consulting in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was a nice guy and straight away jumped to technical questions..

Interview Questions

• How would you identify if the binary tree is the mirror image of itself or not? and then code it ..   Answer Question
    • What is polymorphism? and explain using a code..   Answer Question
    • Design Monopoly , checkers or Elevator .. basically they are looking for the classes and the methods and variables etc ..   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon Consulting in October 2009.

Interview

i was asked the question to write a program in c to implement the t9 mode of dictionary for writing messages in mobile.it was a little bit difficult for me because i did not practiced programs before going to the interview.later on i realized program was not so difficult that it appeared to me during the interview. i regret not doing the practice ,because it would have fetched me a job at amazon.