Amazon Lab126

3.2

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

Questions about your previous job experience. Questions to know your disagreement with the Management on certain design or solution. How did you resolved the disagreement?

Interview Questions
    • Log analysis program. Write a java program to find number of occurrences of a keyword in logs. Categorize count of ERROR/INFO, files etc differently.   View Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

Initial communication was great, all in all a very good experience. Technical phone-screens were all as expected. The interview questions were much more heavily design-focused than algorithms focused, probably due to the nature of the position I was applying to. Most of the soft skill questions were reasonable, but some of them sounded like the interviewers were driving at particular answers they were expecting, and it was difficult to gauge what they looking for. The interview would have been rough back when I was younger, but was quite reasonable for a senior level position. All in all, though, it was as good an experience as one could ask for.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me a design question that was very far afield of my expertise, and I winged it as best I could -- after doing my best with that question, I bowed out of further consideration for that, and he gave me a much more general design question that was a bit of a softball, and I asked him some pointed questions regarding Amazon's distributed design ethos. The fact that the initial question was so far afield of my resume makes one question if that is the point, or if   Answer Question

I had more than one offer to consider, and gave notice while debating between the two: my current employer immediately made me a counter-offer I couldn't refuse (significant promotion & raise).

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in December 2013.

First, a 30-minute interview on the phone with a developer from the team. Went well.

Second, an on-site interview with the developers and managers from two teams working on the same project. All goes well, some algorithm questions, some design questions... I think I hit it off nicely with both managers.

And then, there's the "culture guy".

How well you did during the previous five hours is irrelevant. The culture guy will ask you a "culture question" and then will keep repeating "what if that doesn't work" all the while giving you the unflinching death stare.

What are you supposed to do? Heck if I know. I can merely suggest to not crack a joke during that time. I did. I wasn't seriously thinking what I said. I thought it was bleedingly obvious that I wasn't serious but I think that joke destroy my chance right then and there. Oops!

Oh, but for extra brownie points, think of something Amazon could do better. Something real.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Excellent hiring staff, excellent communication, effective and pleasant. Interviews were typical 6-7 people with a bar raiser.

Interview Questions
    Solid offer, no negotiation was req'd

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in November 2013.

Submitted my resume online. Recruiter contacted me a day or two later for a phone interview the next week on a Tuesday. After the first phone interview, scheduled a second one for Thursday. Then scheduled an onsite for the following Wednesday (actually after an intervening holiday week). I knew by Friday that they planned to make an offer and received it on Monday. The whole process was lightning fast.

The interview was your standard 5 hour process, with lunch, except that lunch was served in the interview meeting room and half of the time slot was used for eating and half for conducting another interview so either you don't finish your lunch, or you feel like you need to scarf down the food. I'd prefer an actual break for lunch. There were six interviewers, four "regular" interviewers, plus one slot with the second-tier manager and one with a principal engineer. I didn't find the interview questions to be extraordinarily difficult. Went into some detail about threading, locking, deadlock avoidance, priority inversion with one interviewer, and tree traversal and optimization with another. Seemed pretty standard, but maybe that's because these are particular interests of mine. Other interviewers focused more on design.

Takeaway: Didn't like how lunch was conducted. Very much liked meeting with the principal engineer and getting a chance to speak with someone who would act as a mentor. This second point made a big difference for me.

Also, the recruiter was scheduled for a short slot which I thought was odd. He asked about my current salary and benefits. It took me by surprise and I answered his questions, but in hindsight, I did not appreciate this. This sort of thing should be done _after_ the interviews and after they have signaled their intent to make an offer, not before.

Recruiter initially gave me only 3 days to consider offer. The standard is 2 weeks. I planned to accept the offer without negotiation and so agreed to the 3 day time period. My current employer made a counter offer for a different position within the company. I asked for additional time to consider both offers and it was granted with no problem. Lab matched (roughly) the offer the next day. I suggested a salary/bonus/stock offer that I would be able to accept immediately. They met some of my requests fully, and others partially, still it increased their offer and allowed me to accept it.

My advice: balk at a 3-day offer expiration. The standard is 2 weeks. If you don't need 2 weeks, you can always accept sooner. This will give you a few days to solicit additional offers if possible. I was lucky and got an unexpected offer from my current employer within the 3-day window. Salary, bonus, and stock were all negotiable to some extent.

EPM for Hardware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in October 2013.

Interviewed back in Oct 2013. Phone interview by hiring manager, recruiter got back couple of days after to setup onsite interviews. Following week was the onsite for 6 hours. Very nice folks, interesting questions. Recruiter got back after a couple of days saying the results were positive but they decided to go with an internal candidate. I was told they would get back to me early 2014 with a new req. I didn't quite understand at the time what that meant - You interview hoping for positive results, but then you wait longer for another req? I didn't mind, thought it was worth the wait. But never heard from the recruiter again. Mails, calls ignored. Their process is not too obvious. Hope they understand how stressful interviews are in the first place to give such dangling responses. #humankindness folks!

Interview Questions
    • None. Read the job requirements 10 times. If you think you are a good fit, you will ace the interviews!   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in August 2013.

From many of the negative reviews and interview experiences I've read on here, it was confirmed by the phone interviewer's textbook quiz questions. No spiel about the company or wanting to know about my background. The interviewer, who was not even a hiring manager or manager of any sort, just went right to the quiz questions (a document I'm sure she was holding).

Mainly, there was no personality from the interviewer so I sandbagged it intentionally.

Interview Questions
    • Have you done performance testing? Have you done stress testing? Have you done load testing? How would you set up a test plan (out of nothing)?   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in July 2013.

Recruiting process started with phone screen by hiring mangers of Product Design team and Engineering PM team. Each phone interview takes less than 30 min. Onsite interview was conducted by 5-6 sequential interviewers who are directors from product design, program manager, system design and platform team.

Interview Questions
    • How do you star a program with papers of specifications?   View Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Internal Referral.
    Passed from one recruiter to another, poor coordination.
    Recruiters responsive until first phone interview complete.
    Phone interview with employee in similar role lasted approx one hour.

Interview Questions
    • Typical position related questions.
      Describe a project that failed and why
        Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2013.

Phone interview screen by hiring manager and on site interview for 4 hrs with four technical person and HR. The recruiter followed up quickly and kept me informed about the process.

Interview Questions
    • Give an sample of the decision you made without sufficient data. The process and outcome.   Answer Question