Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

3.1

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

All interviews conducted in a room off the main entrance lobby, no tours of work environment. Interviewers could not be specific about technology(s) skills required for the role, or about the product(s) one would work on due to need to avoid disclosing 'secrets'. I did not get an offer, and it would have been difficult to make a decision without more information, or taking a leap of faith.

Interview Questions
    • How to test a component in a larger, distributed system.   View Answer

RF Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interviews were 1 on 1 with two separate employees from Lab126. First interview was technical and lasted approx 45 minutes. The second interview was also technical but with more an emphasis on problem solving. The first interviewer had a very thick accent and mumbled. They then blamed me when I could not understand their questions. The interviewer nit-picked on things like the color of my resume and the font chosen, and asked trick-questions that were more of a riddle than a real question. It was a very frustrating experience and only made me more flustered for part 2 of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Draw CMOS AND / OR. Draw CMOS inverter. What is propagation? What is SWR? What is reflection coefficient? How does SWR relate to reflection coefficient? Describe voltage levels of RTL. What is the difference between TTL and STTL?   Answer Question

Corporate Counsel Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

30 minute HR screening interview, then 45 minute substantive screening interview with someone on the team (I got a recent hire), then a written assessment (I had to respond to a hypothetical email from a VP), then a manager interview and finally one or two in person interview days (with legal team and product teams).

Don't Matter At This Point Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2015.

They called me up and wanted me to briefly explain my work history. They then scheduled me for an interview right afterwards. I received an email early the next week with detailed information about my interview orientation. Easy process.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical behavioral & result-oriented questions. Prepare yourself to think quickly on your previous endeavors and challenges.

All questions gear towards - What happened? What did you do? What was the result?

Amazon primarily wants to know the [How did you handle the whole situation?] aspect rather than [Why did you not attain the result?]

None of the questions were difficult to answer, just like none of the pitches in baseball are hard to hit. They throw a lot of curve balls at you and occasionally a fast ball now-and-then. Prepare to hit anything that comes at you. Seriously, be mindful of your use of words, tone of voice, gestures, etc.

Overall, I had a great experience with my interviewers, even from the very start of meeting with a friendly team beforehand.

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in January 2015.

Applied online. Recruited contacted me with an initial phone screen. Afterwards recruited worked to find a few possible positions that fit my skill set. Recruiter was helpful and friendly, with prompt responses. This was followed with two technical interviews with Amazon engineers. These were conducted over the phone with online shared coding environment. Technical interviews consisted of basic questions on the Java language, design patterns, etc. There were questions on threading and syncronization, and was asked to code several things (more below). Make sure you know the basics of Big-O analysis and practice some algorithm puzzles..
    Overall positive experience. I believe the key is to talk through your thought process, even if stuck on a problem.

Interview Questions
    • write a method to determine if a String is a palendrome   Answer Question
    • create a singleton class using lazy initialization, explain reasoning behind design (use of private constructor, use of volatile keyword, etc)   Answer Question
    • given array of integers A, find the max sum that can be obtained from any subarray of A   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Two phone interviews. Followed by onsite interview. Prepare data structures thoroughly - heaps, trees, linkedlists. Get your string manipulations done too. They test out your problem solving technique. Besides whiteboard coding, they also asked about modeling an airport. One of the interviewers was more intent on stalling and interrupting me than listening to my solution. That was the only harrowing part of the interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in December 2014.

Apply in my campus job fair and got the response from recruiter after 2 months for Group interview.
    During the interview, all the candidates were divided into three-men groups. Each groups had a set of tasks to solve. Teammates were not the competitors at all. It's like a small working environment and I think this kind of interview is really enjoyable. I learned a lot and had lots of fun that day. Proctors were very nice and helpful to give interviewee any kind of useful advises. The interview took a day, so it's better to sleep well last night.

Interview Questions
    • Any corner cases should be thought as much as possible. When having a question or misunderstanding point in design, don't hesitate to ask your teammate or proctors.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Attend the interview almost 3 years ago and was called for an in-house interview after an initial phone screen. Interviewed by 6 people and asked around general questions, how much I know about Amazon Lab126 kindle products. Once the interview is over, I was asked to come back for one more in-house interview for which another 6 people participated in it. Overall, interview is not that hard, but a bit exhaustive.

Interview Questions
    • what are 3 things that you are working on, currently to improve youself   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in October 2014.

I had two technical phone interviews, about two weeks apart. The first one went pretty poorly, so I was surprised to get called back for a second one. Our phone connection during the first interview was not so good though, so maybe they didn't get in all the questions from the interview script on the first call. Both interviews involved conceptual questions about machine learning paradigms and methods as well as a couple situation-based questions asking to sketch out a solution to a applied task, and a question or two about algorithms. The first interview, but not the second one, included a programming test, but it was really more like a pseudo-coding test, since the interviewer didn't know the language I chose to do it in (Python), and the coding interface doesn't execute the code.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a system to add punctuation to email-oriented ASR?   Answer Question

Operations Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in October 2014.

A friend that works at Lab126 forwarded my resume to HR and about 3 weeks later they emailed to set up a phone interview that happened about a week after that. The phone interview was about 10 minutes and very professional but a bit frustrating as understandably the HR person did not understand the technical aspects of the position.

Interview Questions
    • Did I have a specific example of working on the exact type of product they are producing.   Answer Question