Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Sustainability Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in July 2014.

Applied online with help employee referral. Was contacted for a phone interview a week later. I was asked general questions about resume and background. Also asked if I knew how to use oscilloscopes, power supply, general equipment. Asked about my hardware experience as well as experience with specific software tools.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any particular technical questions. What I was asked revolved more around my resume and my experience with it. The interviewer did ask about various projects that I did, and some technical details about them.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2012.

Met team in Cupertino and then scheduled interview in Seattle. Very interesting process that included written work product before round of interviews in Seattle. One question asked to respond in writing to an email from an executive and the other asked for a redline of a contract.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you disagreed with management and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Current employer made me an offer to transition to a business role.

Data Engineer III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in August 2014.

I applied on Amazon job portal for this position and got recruiter call almost after 2 months. I had even completely forgot about it. After initial talk with recruiter, I was waiting to get technical interview setup but no response for more than 1 week. Later the recruiter sent me mail saying they are moving ahead with another candidate. I really didn't understand if they wanted to move ahead with another candidate why did they spend time talking with me initially and not even giving me opportunity to get interviewed later. At the same time another recruiter from their same team contacted me and scheduled my interview with hiring manager. First recruiter didn't know anything about this. The interview went very well and the hiring manger confidentially said that they would like to call me for face to face interview and i should hear back for same very soon. Again no response for 1 week. I kept following with the second recruiter who had like completely forgot me. Finally second recruiter contacted to the very first recruiter and first recruiter forwarded me her earlier mail about "moving ahead with another candidate mail". What a mess!!!!! I replied both recruiter saying second recruiter had scheduled my interview and I had already talked to hiring manager and they would like me to come for face to face interview. Then first recruiter replied me saying they didn't know that happen and would get the feedback from hiring manager and let me know. Next day I got mail saying they don't want to move ahead. Overall I experienced a completely unprofessional interview process and kind of feel ignored and least bothered. They them self contacted me after 2 months of application, later without giving any opportunity just communicated that moving ahead with other candidate. Hiring manager said they want to have next level of interview and later communicated they are not interested in my profile. A complete waste of time and keeping hopes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult at all. Hiring manager just evaluated me based on my experience from my resume to make sure if I can be a suitable candidate and if next level of technical interview can be scheduled or not.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Phone Interview 1 : Technical questions from a Recruiter - it was ok. Just strange to be interviewed by a recruiter

Phone/Coding Interview 2: Nice guy from Seattle - very pleasant. Technical shared coding environment

Phone/Coding Interview 3: Pleasant person - I answered every thing. Even found problems with his code and question. Anyway - I was expecting to be called again, but was not. Polite email from recruiter that no feedback can be given about why they were not going to call again.

Engineer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

After reading about Lab126's reviews on the company, I am CONVINCED that this company's management is mediocre. VERY mediocre.

I was scheduled to be interviewed for an engineer manager position by someone up in the management chain. He changed on the last minute and had a principal engineer interviewed me. That was great actually. I did really well with all the technical stuff the principal engineer asked. Qualified for 2nd round of phone screen.

Then the person told the recruiter that they are going to change to position, to something else completely different and less than the engineering manager position. I said no thank you. And I did change my mind and gave myself a chance. The person was happy about it. So they scheduled me for the 2nd phone interview, and guess what? Canceled on the last minute, because he was out of town. Took another two weeks to schedule in. And the person had absolutely no enthusiasm in during the phone screen, didn't even explain fluently what the team does, etc. Basically reading down the script of questions, which I nailed them all. Also, the person was so rude when I asked what time frame of getting the position fulfilled, since it's taken so long, after all the delays and change mind. His answer:"We take as long as it takes."

At the end, I knew this guy was jerking me around. So, I basically told the recruiter the truth: I sense this person has no enthusiasm or whatsoever with the hiring process, considered what he had done to me so far.

One hour after the 2nd phone screen, the recruiter told me that I have great skills for the position but currently "the <person> found not a fit."

I would drop the offer if they had given me. Lesson learned. If someone jerks you around at the beginning, e.g., changed job position, don't bother to work for that person! Not worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult for me to answer. The 1st phone screen with the principle engineer was 10x harder than the 2nd phone screen, and I nailed it. Mostly data structure, some programming language and design questions, scenario-type, and management questions.   View Answer

Hardware Development Engineer Interview

I got an on-campus interview for 90 mins. I was interviewed by two people. One was an engineer, and the other was a director. The process went smoothly and the questions are not hard.

Data Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn, it took a while for the first two rounds of phone/shared code interview. As I was interviewing with multiple companies (and had an offer) they moved fast for the in person interview and in extending an offer.
    As I was out of state the travel co-ordination was a bit of hassle, but was pleasantly surprised when they sent me a complimentary welcome package with an apology card before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were based on amazon values and how examples from your experience show that you have those values   Answer Question

Hardware Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Handed my resume at a career fair; didn't think much about it as I barely talked to a rep for the software side of things and just asked him to forward my resume to the hardware guys. I'm guessing they filter by GPA or something, since I have a decently high GPA (>3.5/4.0) and I got an email soon after asking to set up an interview. It was a 1.5 hour interview at my school's career center - two 45 minute interviews with different people. The first interviewer asked me some pretty simple technical questions regarding circuit components - e.g. how does a capacitor work, how does a diode work. I think I even answered incorrectly at first, but when he pointed out the correct answer, I had just gotten it opposite, so we agreed I must just be having an opposite day! The second interviewer went over my resume with me and asked me some more personal questions - this interview was more relaxed (not that the first technical interview was too serious either). A little over a week later, I received an offer by email.

I'm pretty sure it's non-negotiable for interns

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

First it was Telephonic Interview by Hiring Manager, where it was less technical and more towards Resume. Then they called me onsite Interview, where it was for 6hrs, Most of them they were asking behavioral questions, which I was able to handle. The interview went on good

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were on decision making, but they were expecting very specific answer, which does not make sense   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

There were 2 phone screens before invitation on campus.
    It was very well articulated and organized
    There were people assigned to ask technical questions and some others to focus on the soft skills

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult question however, they pay more attention to candidate being a team player than the technical abilities   Answer Question

There was a lot of inflexibility about working from home for the project and few days in the week, there was an expectation to stay till late in the evening

Worked for Amazon Lab126? Contribute to the Community!