Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Engineer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

After reading about Lab126's reviews on the company, I am CONVINCED that this company's management is mediocre. VERY mediocre.

I was scheduled to be interviewed for an engineer manager position by someone up in the management chain. He changed on the last minute and had a principal engineer interviewed me. That was great actually. I did really well with all the technical stuff the principal engineer asked. Qualified for 2nd round of phone screen.

Then the person told the recruiter that they are going to change to position, to something else completely different and less than the engineering manager position. I said no thank you. And I did change my mind and gave myself a chance. The person was happy about it. So they scheduled me for the 2nd phone interview, and guess what? Canceled on the last minute, because he was out of town. Took another two weeks to schedule in. And the person had absolutely no enthusiasm in during the phone screen, didn't even explain fluently what the team does, etc. Basically reading down the script of questions, which I nailed them all. Also, the person was so rude when I asked what time frame of getting the position fulfilled, since it's taken so long, after all the delays and change mind. His answer:"We take as long as it takes."

At the end, I knew this guy was jerking me around. So, I basically told the recruiter the truth: I sense this person has no enthusiasm or whatsoever with the hiring process, considered what he had done to me so far.

One hour after the 2nd phone screen, the recruiter told me that I have great skills for the position but currently "the <person> found not a fit."

I would drop the offer if they had given me. Lesson learned. If someone jerks you around at the beginning, e.g., changed job position, don't bother to work for that person! Not worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult for me to answer. The 1st phone screen with the principle engineer was 10x harder than the 2nd phone screen, and I nailed it. Mostly data structure, some programming language and design questions, scenario-type, and management questions.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Phone Interview 1 : Technical questions from a Recruiter - it was ok. Just strange to be interviewed by a recruiter

Phone/Coding Interview 2: Nice guy from Seattle - very pleasant. Technical shared coding environment

Phone/Coding Interview 3: Pleasant person - I answered every thing. Even found problems with his code and question. Anyway - I was expecting to be called again, but was not. Polite email from recruiter that no feedback can be given about why they were not going to call again.

Hardware Development Engineer Interview

I got an on-campus interview for 90 mins. I was interviewed by two people. One was an engineer, and the other was a director. The process went smoothly and the questions are not hard.

Data Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn, it took a while for the first two rounds of phone/shared code interview. As I was interviewing with multiple companies (and had an offer) they moved fast for the in person interview and in extending an offer.
    As I was out of state the travel co-ordination was a bit of hassle, but was pleasantly surprised when they sent me a complimentary welcome package with an apology card before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were based on amazon values and how examples from your experience show that you have those values   Answer Question

Hardware Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Handed my resume at a career fair; didn't think much about it as I barely talked to a rep for the software side of things and just asked him to forward my resume to the hardware guys. I'm guessing they filter by GPA or something, since I have a decently high GPA (>3.5/4.0) and I got an email soon after asking to set up an interview. It was a 1.5 hour interview at my school's career center - two 45 minute interviews with different people. The first interviewer asked me some pretty simple technical questions regarding circuit components - e.g. how does a capacitor work, how does a diode work. I think I even answered incorrectly at first, but when he pointed out the correct answer, I had just gotten it opposite, so we agreed I must just be having an opposite day! The second interviewer went over my resume with me and asked me some more personal questions - this interview was more relaxed (not that the first technical interview was too serious either). A little over a week later, I received an offer by email.

I'm pretty sure it's non-negotiable for interns

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

First it was Telephonic Interview by Hiring Manager, where it was less technical and more towards Resume. Then they called me onsite Interview, where it was for 6hrs, Most of them they were asking behavioral questions, which I was able to handle. The interview went on good

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were on decision making, but they were expecting very specific answer, which does not make sense   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

There were 2 phone screens before invitation on campus.
    It was very well articulated and organized
    There were people assigned to ask technical questions and some others to focus on the soft skills

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult question however, they pay more attention to candidate being a team player than the technical abilities   Answer Question

There was a lot of inflexibility about working from home for the project and few days in the week, there was an expectation to stay till late in the evening

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Phone interview followed by on site. It's a combination of technical + behavioral questions. Tested on algorithm, basic java, sql, and a brain storm session on system design and analyze pros and cons and possible risks involved .

Interview Questions
    • mostly behavioral questions to see how you resolve conflicts or manage tight schedule.   Answer Question

Senior Solution Architect Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

I interviewed for a software solution architect position Summer, 2014.

I started out with 3 phone interviews before being invited to Sunnyvale for the interview. Amazon prepaid for the flight and hotel, I had to pay for taxies and dinner, which was reimbursed.

The phone interview questions were very high level – mostly just going over my work history and the type of companies I have worked with in the past. Zero questions about my education, interests outside of work, long term goals, etc.

The in person interview took place over the course of an afternoon. Before the interviews start, you must sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). You are placed in a small conference room and various people are brought in to chat. Each person brought in their laptop and read off questions from a list. Because of the NDA I won’t list specific questions, but each person asked the same basic questions, just worded differently.
    Overall, the people I met with were nice, but left me feeling like Lab 126 is a cold place to work. There wasn’t one offer for a drink or snack, and since the interview was almost 6 hours long, that would have been nice! Just like my phone interview, they didn’t ask one question about me personally – just about work history and specific use cases in my past.

I think what Lab 126 misses is that the interview process isn’t just Lab 126 interview you, It’s also about you interviewing them too. One my questions to them was about the average years experience of their developers. I was lead to believe it’s a very young team, with “turnover typical of silicon valley.” That answer and the lack of a competitive salary lead me to decline their offer.

Interview Questions

I got the impression Lab 126 is a stepping stone job for people. When a senior manager makes a comment about staying at Amazon for several years would be a bad move for your career, if makes you wonder.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in December 2011.

Quick hiring process ... recruiter got in touch with me soon after I submitted my resume. I had an interview within a week and two days later an offer. I had only two more days to decide on the offer. It was generous compared to my previous job but average for Bay Area.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a situation in your career with your colleagues that you would like to fix (if given the chance)? What is your greatest achievement? Some think big questions. How would you solve the Netflix challenge?   View Answer
    I was given just a two day window to accept or reject. It would be a good idea to stall the recruiter and/or get alternate offers ready (though timing everything will not be easy).

Worked for Amazon Lab126? Contribute to the Community!