Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.1

Hardware Development Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was very organized and on time. The HR recruiter was helpful throughout the whole process. Met individual engineers, managers, and directors during this process. They were all very nice and asked me basic to difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you change on this product to make it better?   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2015.

Interview

I had a 1 hour phone interview that was pretty grueling. He wanted to know about my experience and background and why I chose to go into law. He questioned my reasoning for choosing law, and almost seemed to be patronizing me at times. Nevertheless, I received an email a week later sayin they wanted to move forward with next steps, and they gave me a hypothetical and wanted me to provide a writing sample. I provided a well thought out, comprehensive answer less than 24 hours later. A week later they said they would not be moving forward. When I asked for feedback I received none.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle xyz situation in drafting a consulting agreement?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in July 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview. Very pleasant, and very calm. Did not feel tensed or uncomfortable. The interviewer was very nice and even though at the end I had no idea what he thought of the interview good or bad, he was nice to talk to. 50-60 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe recent project - the technical aspects.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when u made a difficult task simple and solved it.   1 Answer
    • Coding problem on Collabedit: Find an algorithm to find a word ladder between 2 words by changing just one letter at a time. All the words formed should be valid dictionary words. Eg. FOOL ->POOL->POLL->POLE->PALE->SALE->SAGE COLD → CORD → CARD → WARD → WARM   1 Answer
    • Model a restaurant reservation system, where staff can a reservation, pull up, cancel reservations. The reservation system is very simple local to just one terminal at the restaurant not connected to network.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

First phone screen interview. If pass, move on to onsite Onsite: 5-6 people interview in one day w/~45min per person. Tag team process. Started early and finished just after lunch. Open and friendly people with only one or two feeling 'adversarial'. Good dialogue and if you know how to use your interview experience to your own benefit, you can both find out a lot about what is need edwhile also clearly explaining what you can contribute to the position. Do your research in advance. It shows initiative and desire. If pass, will get contacted with either follow-up questions, suggestion for a 2nd smaller focused onsite or an offer. If don't pass for position interviewed for but seen as viable, will get put into system for other positions as they come up.

Interview Questions

• Explain the Manufacturing process from Proto to Production. What are the differences in each stage? How can you ship a quality product while reducing testing to meet Mass Production objectives? How would you test a Haptic Feedback device? What kind of parameters are important?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

I have interviewed here twice. Interview experience has been very positive both the times. The process was reasonably fast (about 6 weeks for the whole process). Interviews are properly coordinated and conducted in a professional manner.

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First contact was made by Lab126 recruiters via LinkedIn. Following several phone calls/emails, I was interviewed at Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in Oct 2014. The application process took 4 weeks. The recruiters kept me informed about the process, and shared that the half-day onsite interview would include 6-7 people (45 minutes with each, back-to-back) and that the questions are typically behavioral questions. There were no surprises the day of the interview, and most questions were indeed behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Full lifecycle product development process, leadership principals, conflict resolution, how would I motivate a team   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2015.

Interview

One hour phone interview for internship. One technical questions. I was asked to tell four different solutions. Time complexity analysis and test cases were asked. After the technical questions. Some behavioral questions were asked. Like, what was your most challenging project.

Interview Questions

• Find the intersection of two linked lists. Follow up: if the linked lists are doubly-linked lists.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

2 recruiters contact me via linkedin, and I responded to one of them. Then had a short call with the recruiter via phone, and later he arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview with HM went pretty good, he asked most technical questions and I responded well enough that the HM mentioned they would bring me to a F2F interview ASAP. I went to their Cupertino office for the onsite after a business trip on a Friday, and Lab126 prepared all the hotel and flight booking for me. On-site was a common tech company style, I interviewed 5 or 6 people from different group, each one had about 45 minutes and also had a lunch with the HM. Interview was not hard, they are very interested in how my current employer doing design, and seemed it went pretty well again. The HR lady promised that they will make a decision in a week. One week later, she called and told me the feedback was very good, I would receive the official offer from email very soon. Everything happened until that Friday was pretty professional, though there's a lot bad reviews about Lab126, I was going to ignore them all. However, things happened after that date make me have NO desire to associate with this company for ever! I was waiting to see the offer from the HR lady, however it never comes.... I was having tight communication with her, at the beginning she said the HM was having a emergency trip to China, so the offer would signed when he get back.... Two weeks later, she told me HM is back, just need a couple of days to finish the offer... Another week past, she told me HM signed the offer, now waiting for the Sr. Director to sign.... One week later, she said they need a little more time ... After that, the HR called maybe one or two times and then never heard back from her again. But, I was not expecting to receive it anyway and decided to accept another offer from another company... After about 5 months of the interview (early 2015 by then), I received a call from the recruiter, he explained to me what happened - it was because Amazon hardware performed so bad in 2014, the top decided to frozen hiring. And, he told me they are planning the head count for 2015, and my position was 1st priority, he wanted to check if I still had interest - I answered I wanted to see the offer first. Interestingly enough, I noticed from his Linkedin profile that he left Amazon just 1 week after the call.... Of course, I never receive any updates since then. Amazon Lab126 still owes me the travel reimbursement for the onsite, since my recruiter left and the HR lady was not responding, I don't think I will ever get that back.... Overall, Amazon is very unprofessional for hiring process, wasted me a lot of time, not even a company worth to talk to anymore. They are also having notoriously bad culture and bad reputation, I'm glad I did not receive the final piece at the end.

Interview Questions

• development cycle and process....how to perform certain tests...   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter (although I was referred by a friend), spoke to them over the phone and got invited to an on-site interview. It was a full-day interview, I met with four technical interviewers, the recruiter and the hiring manager who took me to lunch. It was all in schedule and fairly well organized.

Interview Questions

• A couple of questions on extracting bits from a bit stream, a couple of higher level questions on an actual embedded programming problem. There was the usual simple "algorithmic" question where the solution is to either sort the data or put it into a hash map. The bar-raiser technical interviewer asked a few fairly meaningless "tell me about a hard technical problem you solved, etc."-type questions - these are a mandatory part of the Amazon interview process and the whole conversation felt somewhat meaningless. Overall I enjoyed meeting with the SDEs much more than with the bar-raiser.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Very well organized. 5 interviewers from various disciplines, SW development, HW development, Program Management. Mostly 1:1 interviews but some panel interviews. Interviews lasted the entire day. Mostly asked behavioral type questions. Remember: STAR