Amazon Lab126

Updated Jan 3, 2015
Updated Jan 3, 2015

3.1

Sustainability Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in July 2014.

Applied online with help employee referral. Was contacted for a phone interview a week later. I was asked general questions about resume and background. Also asked if I knew how to use oscilloscopes, power supply, general equipment. Asked about my hardware experience as well as experience with specific software tools.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any particular technical questions. What I was asked revolved more around my resume and my experience with it. The interviewer did ask about various projects that I did, and some technical details about them.   Answer Question

Engineer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

After reading about Lab126's reviews on the company, I am CONVINCED that this company's management is mediocre. VERY mediocre.

I was scheduled to be interviewed for an engineer manager position by someone up in the management chain. He changed on the last minute and had a principal engineer interviewed me. That was great actually. I did really well with all the technical stuff the principal engineer asked. Qualified for 2nd round of phone screen.

Then the person told the recruiter that they are going to change to position, to something else completely different and less than the engineering manager position. I said no thank you. And I did change my mind and gave myself a chance. The person was happy about it. So they scheduled me for the 2nd phone interview, and guess what? Canceled on the last minute, because he was out of town. Took another two weeks to schedule in. And the person had absolutely no enthusiasm in during the phone screen, didn't even explain fluently what the team does, etc. Basically reading down the script of questions, which I nailed them all. Also, the person was so rude when I asked what time frame of getting the position fulfilled, since it's taken so long, after all the delays and change mind. His answer:"We take as long as it takes."

At the end, I knew this guy was jerking me around. So, I basically told the recruiter the truth: I sense this person has no enthusiasm or whatsoever with the hiring process, considered what he had done to me so far.

One hour after the 2nd phone screen, the recruiter told me that I have great skills for the position but currently "the <person> found not a fit."

I would drop the offer if they had given me. Lesson learned. If someone jerks you around at the beginning, e.g., changed job position, don't bother to work for that person! Not worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult for me to answer. The 1st phone screen with the principle engineer was 10x harder than the 2nd phone screen, and I nailed it. Mostly data structure, some programming language and design questions, scenario-type, and management questions.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

I was contacted by Amazon headhunters. They suggested to consider a position on their team working in the field related to my current course of work. I had one introductory phone conversation, one phone interview/skills test and one full-day in-person interview.

The interviews were interesting, but on the easy side of the scale. The interviewers were not trying to dig too deep into my answers and the follow-up questions were missing a lot of potentially difficult avenues. I had plenty of opportunities to ask them questions and I felt that the answers were mostly honest and overall positive. At the end of the day the team left a very positive impression. They seem to be an easy-going bunch of nice people and very professional at the same time. I'm sure it would be fun to work with them. Additionally, the field is very promising and the team convinced me that Amazon is taking the right approach there.

About 2 days after the in-person-interview I received the offer.

Unfortunately, the internal recruiters made it completely impossible for me to fully understand the details of the offer and accept it. First, before the interviews they kept using the wrong e-mail address, which added at least a month to the pre-interview steps. Then, the offer was presented over the phone only. The recruiters wouldn't confirm the details via e-mail or paper mail. Regardless of that, I pointed out that the compensation package needs to be improved to make it worth my while. Several phone conversations followed. Instead of providing direct answers to my questions, the recruiters were reciting the standard company mantra and trying to convince me that the offer is better than what I'm looking for. It wasn't, in one very specific and important parameter which I shared with the recruiters. During the last call I was told that they will work on matching my expectations and will get back shortly. Instead, I received an automated e-mail inviting me to fill a feedback form and the calls have ended.

Interview Questions
    • Standard technical, leadership and problem resolution questions. Few of them were field-specific. Respecting the NDA here.   Answer Question

Offer being not good enough.
    However, very positive impression of the hiring team makes me sorry to let go of the opportunity.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in June 2014.

A recruiter emailed me for a phone screen.
    Next step was an invite to a bar in San Francisco to meet with hiring managers.
    I arrived and the managers I met were more interested in plugging their now defunct Firephone.
    The managers did not have business cards and were vague in describing jobs.
    A pristine waste of time and gas but hey, at least the pizza was good!

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

I started off by talking with the hiring manager at a recruiting event. He's quite a nice guy, and we hit it off very well. The first interview was easy, we only spent a few minutes actually discussing technical problems, the remainder of the time I spent asking him questions.

Next was the hiring manager's supervisor. Again, a few technical questions, and then it was all discussions thereafter. No problem. Recruiter calls, and we schedule the on-site.

The on-site interview had me talking to five different people over about four hours. Each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes and really everyone was quite on time. What really got me, though, was the number of times that people mentioned the secret nature of the work that Lab 126 does. I've worked at facilities requiring SCI clearance before, and even though they are fairly tight-lipped around outsiders, they tend to be very open with one another--that's absolutely not the impression I got here.

In any case, each of the interviews consisted of a technical portion followed by a personality portion. Whiteboard coding was done--I think the interviewers actually transcribe your code into a computer and try to run it to see if it's correct, which is quite an interesting solution.

Lunchtime was scheduled at about halfway through the process. They actually do make employees pay for their own lunch, here; the corporate nature of this place is clearest in the cafeteria. Gives it a penny-pinching vibe that's tough to shake.

The HR person, though, was something else. All of the positive feelings I had towards the company to this point really just evaporated as soon as I started talking to her. She started off by telling me that Amazon wouldn't be able to offer me as much as I'm currently making, and then attempted to justify this by pointing out the fact that I hadn't held this specific position at some point in the past. When I pointed out that I had management experience, and intended to seek a promotion to a management role, she made it very clear that this was not going to happen, and that I should accept reduced compensation in exchange for the opportunity to work for Lab 126. Maybe that would have held water when I was fresh out of college, but I've got ten years experience now. I don't need an exciting opportunity to work with cutting edge technology; silicon valley is awash with such things.

I don't know what this place's problem is, but I know this: Amazon Lab 126 is looking for bargain basement prices on their talent. It'll work great for you if you're an intern, but if you've got real talent, go work for Google.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about finding the longest palendrome in a string. I discovered a naive algorithm relatively quickly, and then was asked to handle all corner cases. Took about 10 minutes.   View Answers (2)

Even though the HR person told me that I hit it out of the park, they failed to offer me competitive salary. The HR person was also very weird, and when I told her my current compensation figure, the whole tone of the conversation shifted--somewhere between jealousy and incredulity.

When I got the offer, not only was it not competitive with my current position, but it's also not competitive to another offer that I had outstanding, and neither is it competitive even to current industry norms. It's not like I'm getting kicked out of my job, either; it's comfortable, I could continue on, I'm just exploring other opportunities.

I mean, I'm not sure whether to be insulted or just baffled. I was completely up-front with the existence of another offer before the interview started, I even told them the dollar figure, and the first thing that the HR person says to me is that Amazon won't be able to match. Then she says that Amazon requires innovative people, and I lack the specific experience on my resume for the position I was applying--which is absolutely false, as I have senior level positions that involve everything from firmware to websites design.

This strikes me as a mediocre, weird place to work.

Product Design Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

met at a school fair, received an email and set up interview at their office in cupertino

Interview Questions
    • Asked how to make sure two parts with holes would be aligned. Was a question about how to create reference points. Also asked how a kindle case is made.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I had phone interview with the hiring manager in February. It's a half hour interview. The interview did not go so well as we could not hear each other so well. No good chemistry.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. I was asked some behavior questions as well as some Java questions, tools that I am currently using for testing mobile devices.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

Questions about your previous job experience. Questions to know your disagreement with the Management on certain design or solution. How did you resolved the disagreement?

Interview Questions
    • Log analysis program. Write a java program to find number of occurrences of a keyword in logs. Categorize count of ERROR/INFO, files etc differently.   View Answer

Data Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn, it took a while for the first two rounds of phone/shared code interview. As I was interviewing with multiple companies (and had an offer) they moved fast for the in person interview and in extending an offer.
    As I was out of state the travel co-ordination was a bit of hassle, but was pleasantly surprised when they sent me a complimentary welcome package with an apology card before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were based on amazon values and how examples from your experience show that you have those values   Answer Question

Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in May 2014.

A couple of phone interviews - one with the HR and one with the hiring manager to begin with.

In person interview with two dev folks,one Principal Engineer,one QA and hiring manager.

Interview was highly technical and lasted for over four hours. Mostly revolved round my
    previous experience and domain expertise.

Interview Questions
    • Business cases are tricky and have to be carefully thought of when answering. How would you react to a disagreement with the senior management? What would be your response?   Answer Question
    No negotiation,offer was pretty decent.