Amazon Lab126

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.1

Manager Interview

Wanted to give people a heads up about how the recruiters work at Lab126. I was approached by an Amazon recruiter - would I consider a manager job there. Sure. Got a half hour interview with a recruiter at Lab 126. She was kind of a jerk. She told me there was no way I could get a director job there. I was unaware I was interviewing for a director job, and she said no - but there's no way you could get a director job (my last job was a director position). It was a bit of snark and I understood the level I was interviewing for before the call. Then she asks me questions, I answer, then she says she wants more details. And I say, what would you like to know more about? And she repeats - well, you interviewed 3 years ago for a job and they said you didn't have enough details and that's what I'm seeing now. And I say again - I'd be glad to give more detail. What would you like to know more about? And - no questions. She changes the subject. At one point in the interview she does the quiet game. She paused and it was dead air on the phone for 2 minutes. I am certain it was about seeing what I'd do, as I've heard Amazon does this. She said...oh, I'm sorry. After waiting for her to continue in dead air, then saying "hello?" a few times, I almost hung up. What a jerk. People ought to know what a person employed by Amazon does to interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • Then she asks me questions, I answer, then she says she wants more details. And I say, what would you like to know more about? And she repeats - well, you interviewed 3 years ago for a job and they said you didn't have enough details and that's what I'm seeing now. And I say again - I'd be glad to give more detail. What would you like to know more about? And - no questions. Weird.   Answer Question

IT Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview was performed by their team in Seattle by two technicians that assist the Cupertino team. The windows admin was short and abrubt. Horrible interview and very combative with short tones like he didn't want to interview me. The mac employee was more patient in my answers. No mention of how to deploy hardware and software. No questions about Vmware of Parallels. There was no mention about Jamf Software which was a requirement. Must know Linux or don't bother interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a disagreement with a manager and what you did to resolve it? Name a difficult technical situation and how you solved it? What does 3 beeps mean on the Mac during startup? Why did you get into computers?   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

Initial communication was great, all in all a very good experience. Technical phone-screens were all as expected. The interview questions were much more heavily design-focused than algorithms focused, probably due to the nature of the position I was applying to. Most of the soft skill questions were reasonable, but some of them sounded like the interviewers were driving at particular answers they were expecting, and it was difficult to gauge what they looking for. The interview would have been rough back when I was younger, but was quite reasonable for a senior level position. All in all, though, it was as good an experience as one could ask for.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me a design question that was very far afield of my expertise, and I winged it as best I could -- after doing my best with that question, I bowed out of further consideration for that, and he gave me a much more general design question that was a bit of a softball, and I asked him some pointed questions regarding Amazon's distributed design ethos. The fact that the initial question was so far afield of my resume makes one question if that is the point, or if   Answer Question

I had more than one offer to consider, and gave notice while debating between the two: my current employer immediately made me a counter-offer I couldn't refuse (significant promotion & raise).

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

First it was Telephonic Interview by Hiring Manager, where it was less technical and more towards Resume. Then they called me onsite Interview, where it was for 6hrs, Most of them they were asking behavioral questions, which I was able to handle. The interview went on good

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were on decision making, but they were expecting very specific answer, which does not make sense   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Respectful of interviewee, but very long interview. Is also focused on technical questions, the only person that pays attention to non-technical questions are the HR folks. Had to interview with approximately six people, each one focused on a different area. Made me interview while eating lunch, which can be a bit awkward.

Hardware Development Intern Interview

Went to career fair and info session, got an on-campus interview about two weeks later. Interviewed with an electrical engineer and test engineer. The interview procedure was generally pleasant. The electrical engineer asked several questions related to my mechatronics course project and questions about my other experience in resume. The test engineer asked questions about my resume, stress-strain analysis and 3-point test. The questions are not hard.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked "what would happen" in a 3-point test. The question was too general and I was not sure what he expected.   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

I had a great experience interviewing for the position. Interviewers were people with whom I can expect to work with, and were very personable. I had two interviews in total. Most questions dealt with how I would handle certain managerial situations; how I would motivate a team; how I would handle making a mistake.

Interview Questions
    As this was an internship, I did not negotiate.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

I was emailed by a recruiter after applying online. She set up a phone interview with a hiring manager. We discussed my experience and my resume, at which point the manager was surprised to find out that I did not have any experience with the language they worked in. We both agreed it was probably not the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a small coding question (implement a list), and then was asked some questions on ISR design.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern2 Interview

suddenly a mail comes that your interview is scheduled in two days.
    2 phone interviews back to back.15 min break in between.
    he talked about his project, what are his requirements and what they expect from an intern, question on hash map, basic questions on same, and an anagram question

Product Design Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Contacted recruiter. Waited about a month then another recruiter set me up with a 45 min phone interview. Waited about a week and a 1/2 and got another 45 min phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • First part is just a talk about your resume and experience. Then it transitioned into a conversation about how you would mechanically test tablets and e-reader devices.   Answer Question
    Offer was significantly higher than the average software development engineer intern at Amazon Seattle and my other internship so I didn't negotiate. Also they offer you a housing stipend or heavily subsidized corporate housing options.