Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.1

Product Design Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Contacted recruiter. Waited about a month then another recruiter set me up with a 45 min phone interview. Waited about a week and a 1/2 and got another 45 min phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • First part is just a talk about your resume and experience. Then it transitioned into a conversation about how you would mechanically test tablets and e-reader devices.   Answer Question
    Offer was significantly higher than the average software development engineer intern at Amazon Seattle and my other internship so I didn't negotiate. Also they offer you a housing stipend or heavily subsidized corporate housing options.

Engineering Director Interview

Great process, very respectful of candidates and their time. Technical, but very appropriate given the role. Good conversations on strategy and great context setting for what the role involved.

Interview Questions
    • How I would solve a challenging issue that was presented in the industry. Because of NDA I can't say further, but they did a good job at giving enough context of the business challenges to really eek out what someone in this role would do.   Answer Question

Requirement to relocate, which I was unwilling to do.

Antenna Design Summer Internship Interview

on campus interview

Interview Questions
    • asked about PIFA, smith chart, dipole , monopole, slot   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

45mins. half behavior and half technical.

Interview Questions
    • Why there is a gap between USB head and the side wall of the laptop?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in February 2014.

went to an interview in my schools career center after i talked to them at the career fair

Interview Questions
    • not a very difficult interview. review basic from statics classes and just talk. interviewer was young and an extremely nice guy.   Answer Question

Hardware Developmen‚Äčt Engineer Intern (RF) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in February 2014.

On-site interviews: Technical rounds
    The technical interviews were interesting and challenging. Interviewers were forthright.

Phone interview: Team matching
    HR follow-up procedure and phone interview was sloppy

I appear to have lost out in this round. And I don't know how to overcome that, given the company's super secret policy about what they do!

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer tested concepts of Analog & Microwave circuits, Smith charts and Antennas

Discussed research interests and education background
        View Answer

Hardware Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in February 2014.

I contacted Lab126 at my school's career fair, and submitted a resume at their booth. Two weeks later, they scheduled a 1.5 hour interview with two engineers (45 minutes per interviewer), where the interviewers asked about previous projects and asked technical questions about simple circuits. They made an offer the next week with a 3-day acceptance deadline.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was to explain one time when I had to learn something to overcome a problem that I had faced in a personal project, and how I went about learning what I needed to know and applying it to the project.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. I was given an offer with a very short acceptance window.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

The hiring process was organized by Amazon, not Lab126 separately. Two rounds on campus interview. Both are technical interviews. One started by asking about most interesting school project, and then 1 algorithm/coding question and follow-ups. Another focused on design questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal algorithm and design questions.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I have been approached by several Amazon recruiters via LinkedIn, and my resume has been in their DB. At some point I was contacted for a researcher position, something I didn't look for but became intrigued by based on subsequent research. Interviewer deemed me overqualified (lengthy, senior responsibilities vs. the 3-5yrs the job called for) and took it upon himself to submit an internal referral. From there, I was contacted by a Lab126 recruiter for a selection of openings, and we went with the TPM position.

Phone screen w/ a current TPM. Typical behavioral questions. Interviewer was sharp and picked up on and dug into details. Signs suggested it went reasonably well.

A week of radio silence passed and I emailed the recruiter. Expected another phone screen based on internet research, but the reply said they'd like to fly me out.

The on-site day was grueling. Back to back to back interviews. While I obviously would have been allowed a break if I asked, with each interviewer coming in on the heel of a departing one, I just wanted to get on with it.

Lunch (cafeteria) was w/ the director - seemed a good person to report to. Smart, expects a lot of his people, but kind/empathetic. I was relieved to relax a bit. More interviews followed. Being someone who gets de-energized by having to talk all day long I was drained at the end of the day.

All in all I found everyone I spoke w/ (incl. very first phone interviewer) seemingly very experienced, intelligent, hard-working...people I would respect and enjoy working with. Left w/ positive feelings about Amazon.

Unsure - Perhaps Group Lead? Interview

It was not completely clear what position I was being interviewed for. The interviewers were friendly and intelligent. The questions were mostly difficult but reasonable. No gotcha questions. A lot of talk about Jeff. He seems to be a strong influence in the lab. Overall a pleasant experience.