Amazon Lab126 Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in August 2014.

Decently balanced interview, friendly interviewers. Lots of coding questions, was given a varied types of scenarios to analyze and solve. web based, performance, hardware level details were covered.
Overall experience was okay.

Interview Questions
  • path to find in a multi dimensional matrix for maximum/minimum values.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in April 2014.

Initial communication was great, all in all a very good experience. Technical phone-screens were all as expected. The interview questions were much more heavily design-focused than algorithms focused, probably due to the nature of the position I was applying to. Most of the soft skill questions were reasonable, but some of them sounded like the interviewers were driving at particular answers they were expecting, and it was difficult to gauge what they looking for. The interview would have been rough back when I was younger, but was quite reasonable for a senior level position. All in all, though, it was as good an experience as one could ask for.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me a design question that was very far afield of my expertise, and I winged it as best I could -- after doing my best with that question, I bowed out of further consideration for that, and he gave me a much more general design question that was a bit of a softball, and I asked him some pointed questions regarding Amazon's distributed design ethos. The fact that the initial question was so far afield of my resume makes one question if that is the point, or if   Answer Question

I had more than one offer to consider, and gave notice while debating between the two: my current employer immediately made me a counter-offer I couldn't refuse (significant promotion & raise).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in July 2010.

At least 1 phone interview about past experience and some coding interview questions.
    One or two site interviews with about 4 engineers for technical questions and one bar raiser.
    The bar raiser is an experienced one but sometime they are not from the same field that you are applying for. Questions can be anything. There are some interview guidelines, but most of the time engineers do not learn the guidelines.
    The second onsite interview most of the time is to see the managers and directors level, but sometime also has some technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • In my field, ask more about bit field, linked list and hardware debugging skill, like i2c spec, but the most difficult one is to find all errors in a function.   Answer Question
    I was looking badly for the job, so there is no negotiation

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter saying she was really excited by resume and wondered if I was interested. I said sure. It took about a month to set up a tech interview. They guy I talked with seem very left-brained geeky. There were absolutely 0 job specifics -- everything seemed to be "top secret". woooo....

After my phone screen technical interview ... crickets. no "thanks but no thanks". no nothing...

Interview Questions
    • Write code to permute a string. I've been programming for 30 years, 20 in games. I have written code to do permutations exactly ... 0 times! It's not all that trivial. I recognized it needed recursion, but I whiffed under the interview pressure. Later looked it up and found he was giving me hints that aren't even in the basic algorithm. I guess I was either unlucky or fortunate (I wasn't at all convinced yet I'd want to work there).   Answer Question