Amazon Lab126

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Solution Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

I interviewed for a software solution architect position Summer, 2014.

I started out with 3 phone interviews before being invited to Sunnyvale for the interview. Amazon prepaid for the flight and hotel, I had to pay for taxies and dinner, which was reimbursed.

The phone interview questions were very high level – mostly just going over my work history and the type of companies I have worked with in the past. Zero questions about my education, interests outside of work, long term goals, etc.

The in person interview took place over the course of an afternoon. Before the interviews start, you must sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). You are placed in a small conference room and various people are brought in to chat. Each person brought in their laptop and read off questions from a list. Because of the NDA I won’t list specific questions, but each person asked the same basic questions, just worded differently.
Overall, the people I met with were nice, but left me feeling like Lab 126 is a cold place to work. There wasn’t one offer for a drink or snack, and since the interview was almost 6 hours long, that would have been nice! Just like my phone interview, they didn’t ask one question about me personally – just about work history and specific use cases in my past.

I think what Lab 126 misses is that the interview process isn’t just Lab 126 interview you, It’s also about you interviewing them too. One my questions to them was about the average years experience of their developers. I was lead to believe it’s a very young team, with “turnover typical of silicon valley.” That answer and the lack of a competitive salary lead me to decline their offer.

Interview Questions

I got the impression Lab 126 is a stepping stone job for people. When a senior manager makes a comment about staying at Amazon for several years would be a bad move for your career, if makes you wonder.