Amazon Lab126 Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Phone interview followed by on site. It's a combination of technical + behavioral questions. Tested on algorithm, basic java, sql, and a brain storm session on system design and analyze pros and cons and possible risks involved .

Interview Questions

• mostly behavioral questions to see how you resolve conflicts or manage tight schedule.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

My interview was schedule at 11.00 AM but they called me in at 10.AM, actually the interview was for Level5 and they grilled with for Level6 position. Lot of Data structure related question, algorithm complexity questions, no where you will use these solutions.

Interview Questions

• The Bar raiser kept on asking me what next, what next, after I told what I do in current position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. Recruiter contacted me a day or two later for a phone interview the next week on a Tuesday. After the first phone interview, scheduled a second one for Thursday. Then scheduled an onsite for the following Wednesday (actually after an intervening holiday week). I knew by Friday that they planned to make an offer and received it on Monday. The whole process was lightning fast. The interview was your standard 5 hour process, with lunch, except that lunch was served in the interview meeting room and half of the time slot was used for eating and half for conducting another interview so either you don't finish your lunch, or you feel like you need to scarf down the food. I'd prefer an actual break for lunch. There were six interviewers, four "regular" interviewers, plus one slot with the second-tier manager and one with a principal engineer. I didn't find the interview questions to be extraordinarily difficult. Went into some detail about threading, locking, deadlock avoidance, priority inversion with one interviewer, and tree traversal and optimization with another. Seemed pretty standard, but maybe that's because these are particular interests of mine. Other interviewers focused more on design. Takeaway: Didn't like how lunch was conducted. Very much liked meeting with the principal engineer and getting a chance to speak with someone who would act as a mentor. This second point made a big difference for me. Also, the recruiter was scheduled for a short slot which I thought was odd. He asked about my current salary and benefits. It took me by surprise and I answered his questions, but in hindsight, I did not appreciate this. This sort of thing should be done _after_ the interviews and after they have signaled their intent to make an offer, not before.

Negotiation

Recruiter initially gave me only 3 days to consider offer. The standard is 2 weeks. I planned to accept the offer without negotiation and so agreed to the 3 day time period. My current employer made a counter offer for a different position within the company. I asked for additional time to consider both offers and it was granted with no problem. Lab matched (roughly) the offer the next day. I suggested a salary/bonus/stock offer that I would be able to accept immediately. They met some of my requests fully, and others partially, still it increased their offer and allowed me to accept it. My advice: balk at a 3-day offer expiration. The standard is 2 weeks. If you don't need 2 weeks, you can always accept sooner. This will give you a few days to solicit additional offers if possible. I was lucky and got an unexpected offer from my current employer within the 3-day window. Salary, bonus, and stock were all negotiable to some extent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Quick hiring process ... recruiter got in touch with me soon after I submitted my resume. I had an interview within a week and two days later an offer. I had only two more days to decide on the offer. It was generous compared to my previous job but average for Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Is there a situation in your career with your colleagues that you would like to fix (if given the chance)? What is your greatest achievement? Some think big questions. How would you solve the Netflix challenge?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given just a two day window to accept or reject. It would be a good idea to stall the recruiter and/or get alternate offers ready (though timing everything will not be easy).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Went through many rounds. Average question difficulty for the industry. Beware of some pseudo-lead engineers judging you for not being able to answer one of their questions -- you must be an incompetent because of this, right? The fact is, working at Lab126 means you should be making no mistake. And how you deal with people pointing fingers on your mistake is very important and part of day to day culture.

Interview Questions

• Standard Java, OO, algorithms and ANSI C questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed. You take it, or leave it. Keep in mind that you will very likely to be stuck with this in the following years.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

Answered job posting. They called me for the first interview. I answered. It was straight forward but it's hard to write code after a long workday. I used as many technical terms as I could but it was really hard.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in February 2014.

Interview

It seems most companies have adopted the Google 7+ interview process. 1) Recruiter emails and sets up a phone conversation 2) 1st phone conversation is about the company and about your history. If that goes well, you move on 3) Recruiter sets up a phone/coding interview with a team member and you are asked to code a solution to a problem using this online whiteboard 4) Recruiter sets up an onsite interview 5) On site interviews are usually throughout the day, you will probably have 3-4 1 hour sessions in which you have to code a solution on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Determine if a date is less than/greater than or equal to one month apart   Answer Question