Amazon Lab126 Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

They were hiring at our university. The interviewers were on campus for three days. You could schedule the interview through the school's portal. On the interview day, you would have two back to back, 1:1 interviews. Each lasted about 45 minutes. You were expected to write code on paper or white board. The questions were algorithmic in nature. They were not too difficult but you need to be able to finish a couple of them in each interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Apply in my campus job fair and got the response from recruiter after 2 months for Group interview.
    During the interview, all the candidates were divided into three-men groups. Each groups had a set of tasks to solve. Teammates were not the competitors at all. It's like a small working environment and I think this kind of interview is really enjoyable. I learned a lot and had lots of fun that day. Proctors were very nice and helpful to give interviewee any kind of useful advises. The interview took a day, so it's better to sleep well last night.

Interview Questions

• Any corner cases should be thought as much as possible. When having a question or misunderstanding point in design, don't hesitate to ask your teammate or proctors.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in September 2014.

Interview

one phone interview was held. Later an online programming test was held. The phone interview went well. It was mostly like the tell me about your self and some questions regarding the programming.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in August 2014.

Interview

I directly contacted a manager via a friend. I talked with her and she said there were no current positions open, but she liked my resume/experience so she talked with her supervisor. I think she reorganized her team a bit, since Lab126 was expanding in the coming months. She and an HR person came back to me in a week and started up the interview process. I went through 3 phone call interviews and proceeded to the on-site interview which was 5-6 1on1 interviews. I was given an initial offer about 1 week after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• I had a coding question which was given to me with about 5-minutes remaining. The problem was to determine how to get from an initial word to an end word in the least amount of steps. Each step consists of changing only 1 letter and transforming the word into another valid word.
      Example: CARD -> CORD -> CORE -> MORE

Answer Question

Negotiation

My negotiation was a relatively long phase. The initial offer came on Wednesday and my final acceptance was on Monday. I was in the midst of an interview phase with another company (Apple) and every talk I had with Lab126 to delay/get more time, they increased the offer by a little bit. The offer was incremented by small amounts 4 times. It's worth negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Recruiter from Amazon called and arranged a phone screen. Phone screen involved discussion of algorithms and live coding in a shared screen online. Interviewer seemed intelligent. I was not prepared for the level of question over a phone screen and was taken by surprise.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to convert a string into a JSON object   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

They interviewed be for some positions and i ended up for other role and expectations. They just want to trap employees. make sure you discuss well what are you getting into

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the blue. My interviews themself had no knowledge about the job   1 Answer

Negotiation

They negotiate because they want you and no one will join if they wont.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

I was emailed by a recruiter after applying online. She set up a phone interview with a hiring manager. We discussed my experience and my resume, at which point the manager was surprised to find out that I did not have any experience with the language they worked in. We both agreed it was probably not the best fit.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a small coding question (implement a list), and then was asked some questions on ISR design.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. Both focused on the resume and projects. Relatively simple coding questions.

The onsite interview was great. There was 5 people that I talked to total. The engineers that interviewed me were very friendly. Made me a lot less nervous. There was a good amount of coding on the whiteboard and discussing code on paper. There was also one puzzle question.

Interview Questions

• There was 1 puzzle which I had some difficulties with but figured out eventually. You can't really prepare for those but I'm glad I figured it out.

There was also a few very high level questions that you can't really prepare yourself for.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

shortlisted after answering a couple of questions in career fair. For the onsite interview, which went on for for 2 hours, I was asked few puzzles, questions on linked lists - finding the nth element from the end and reversing the linked list.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon Lab126 in February 2013.

Interview

I applied at a job fair and received a request for an on-campus interview, went in for 1.5 hours, spoke to a panel of 3 people. Standard questions about things on my resume, what I was looking for from the internship, etc...

It seemed a little unfocused, and they didn't have much to say about their company it seemed like.