Amazon Web Services

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Facilities Manager Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services.

Interview Details – Was very detailed and to the point. Be brief and answer quickly and confident. Have your resume speak for you.

Interview Question – Describe who Amazon really is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very good and is all about your level of expertise. You have to have some kind of tech background to even get in or you are not even looked at.

Very Difficult Interview

AWS Support - Team Lead Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in December 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me in regards to the position. I was scheduled for a primary telephone interview by someone in the office of the position (Herndon, VA). The recruiter explained that it would be imperative that I know the job description well, as I would need to identify my experience in each of the requirements. After doing a LOT of research on the company, the CEO, current products, etc, I began my interview. I was very excited as my experience was SPOT on with all of the responsibilities of the position. Well, boy was I blindsided. The interviewer did not ask ANY questions about the company, did not ask ANY questions about the actual position. From the job description, it would be all about Customer Service, Quality Assurance, and managing a team of technical support staff. This interviewer only asked HIGHLY technical questions that pertained to someone who would already be in the position of Technical Support on the AWS products. Obviously, I was not prepared in the way that I would have been, if I had known it was not the job that was in the posting. A day later, I received a notification from the recruiter that I was not being considered for the position. I sent her an email, asking if I had been interviewed for the correct position, and explained my experiences. She never responded. I was VERY disappointed, as I had done my homework on the position, and it sounded as though it would be a perfect fit. The same values on Customer Service, etc. Well, after the experience I just had, and with the lack of respect by the recruiter, to reply to my email, I have a very bad taste in my mouth, in regards to AWS. They are not at all the company they portray to be.

Interview Question – Actually, every question was unexpected, as it was not at all related to the job posting. One specific question, "If you could invent anything, what would it be, and why?". Pretty standard these days.   Answer Question

Senior IT Transformation Consultant Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in October 2013.

Interview Details – I don't remember applying to Amazon, although I might have applied a couple of months ago ad forgotten about it, and I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. I was very excited to be considered for this position because the job description is exactly what I'm looking for, and I love Amazon as a company. The job description makes it sound like the position is of an Architect Consultant, event though the title doesn't mention architect.

Unfortunately, the job descriptions completely outsells the job. It is basically a developer consultant position. They send you to a site, and you write code for the client leveraging Amazon solutions. That is fine, but the job description makes it sound like you will be architecting solutions and helping the client plan strategy.

I had one phone interview, and the guy asked me all developer type questions that I answered. Once I asked him about the role, he explained it's 100% hands on programming. I don't know if it was a mix-up on their end or I completely misunderstood the job requirements.

I'm used to getting calls from bodyshoppers for development jobs because those guys basically just match keywords in the resume without understanding the resume. I didn't expect that from Amazon.

Interview Question – Questions on JVM memory model, threading and Generics. No design questions.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Herndon, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in June 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted via email for phone interview. Thinking it was a secretary scheduling the interview for her "boss". WRONG. It was just one person scheduling for another. Some 21 y/o punk called me. The interview lasted about 30 minutes during which I had a Q/A and found out that the only training was for phone interviews. Not understanding the answer I questioned further and was told "everyone does the phone interviews". Weird, I would think that they would be performed by hiring managers who have experience with that sort of stuff and train the staff on the products and services offered.
The interview was done over a speaker phone and because of the horrible connection I had to keep asking him to repeat the questions. When I asked to be removed from speaker, he answered "I need it to type on my computer" Isn't that was pen and paper are for? Or better yet a headset? Professionalism was not a concern.

Interview Question – Asked if I had ever worked with the public, when I answered 'Yes' he asked further questions for inquiry. Come to find out what he meant to say was "The Public Sector" as opposed to the private. Meaning have I ever worked for the Government. Did you look at my resume? That's why I sent it to you.
I applied for a job in sales, I was interviewed for a different job and was told by the fresh new hire that HE would not be recommending me for the position because he did not feel I met his standards. Sorry I do not talk like a Kardashian
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in June 2013.

Interview Details – Their HR contacted me and setup a phone screen. The interviewer had a thick accent and was hard to understand. He asked some very tough questions. Most were good questions, but there were some pretty obscure questions.

Interview Question – Explain how latches work   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They wanted to fly me out to Seattle from the east coast for further interviews.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Amazon Web Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon Web Services interview questions and advice in Herndon, VA. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon Web Services employees and interview candidates.