Amazon Web Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services.

Interview Details – One round phone interview:
1. Talk about yourself
2. Given a system log, only two fields: ip address and status code. How to find out all the distinct ip addresses.
3. Describe Hashmap.
4. I mentioned MapReduce, he let me describe MapReduce.

Interview Question – Use multiple ways to find out all the distinct IP Addresses.   Answer Question

Senior Cloud Technical Account Manager Interview

Senior Cloud Technical Account Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in May 2014.

Interview Details – AWS recruiter found my resume online and contacted me. Afterwards, there were two phone screenings. They gave me several customer relationship technical scenarios and asked how would I react. Some technology related questions related to Cloud, Internet, Networking, DDoS attacks, tools for troubleshooting and monitoring. Later I was called for more formal face to face interview at Seattle. The interview was 1 to 1 with 6 people from different backgrounds - database, networking, customer relationship, sales, and support. Most questions centered around customer interactions and soft skills. Some deep technology questions about database - NoSQL, and related technologies. Some questions about Internet-workings.

Interview Question – Complicated Customer support and escalation scenarios   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Technical Program Manager
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in March 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter from AWS reached out to me for an initial telephone interview. This was followed by another technical screening within a week. Questions were quite general and scenario based mainly related to managing difficult situations during production outage, etc. I received an email within couple hours that they would like to have another technical phone interview with senior manager. Again the questions ranged from managing a team and different project management scenarios. After going through 3 telephone interviews, got an email after 1 - 2 weeks for on-site (Herndon, VA) interview with AWS team members. This was a 5 and a half hour interview with 6 different people ranging from TPM, Software Development Manager, etc. It sure was quite intense and you really have to know what you are talking about. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Question – Draw and define a software architecture diagram and explain how would you handle encryption along each transition phase of the data?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in January 2013.

Interview Details – Was a pretty intense process. Did a full day interview. Had to wait almost 2 hrs in the lobby between interviews, not sure what happened there. They provided lunch but couldn't eat the food because it became a lunch interview. Overall, the questions were typical behavioral questions you can expect in any interview.

Interview Question – In the very first interview, I was asked to write SQL on the board. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in March 2014.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews followed by one written exam and onsite interview. Most of the questions are around algorithm and data structures. Look for trees and hash tables and distributed designs

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Senior Test Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in May 2014.

Interview Details – The whole interview process went very smoothly and never encountered any issue.
- Applied online via Amazon career site
- Career site indicated my application was under review.
- Week later, I got an email from AWS's recruitment coordinator and a phone chat with Sr. member of the AWS team was established
- Phone interview went really well
- Weeks later, another AWS recruitment coordinator contacted me and an onsite interview was arranged
- Days before the onsite interview, I got the chance talked to the actual recruiter handling the req#. Some really great advises were given.
- On the actual interview day, I got the chance talked to 6 members of the AWS team. They all are really smart and seems truly enjoy what they are doing there at AWS.
- 3 days later, I got a really professional written short email indicated that the team decided to go for an internal candidate

Interview Question – - There were not too many difficultly questions, however most of the questions are situation-based and they all are tied to the 14 Amazon Leadership Principles.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineering Interview

Software Development Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon Web Services.

Interview Details – I would like to let you all know how I feel about Amazon's hiring process. This is my experience:

Situation 1: I got an email from the Hiring Manager himself and we set up an informational chat. The chat went very well and he told me that the HR will call me for the next few rounds. I waited for a month and did not get any response from them.
I emailed the hiring manager 4 times but did not get any response. Finally, I wanted to set up a call with him and that's when his junior manager told me that the position had been called off.
The least I expected was a mail from them!

Situation 2: I got an email from a recruiter letting me know that she is interested in my resume. We set up a quick phone call and she did not call me. I waited for 30 minutes and sent her an email. She responded immediately and we had a chat. I understand that sometimes our calender' gives us trouble but what I did not like was that while she was talking to me, she was eating and having other conversations with people. I thought this was rude and Amazon needs to learn how to communicate with aspiring candidates!

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in May 2014.

Interview Details – Still in process. Applied online. Contacted within a couple weeks of applying and interview scheduled within a week of that. Still in-process.
Questions followed the general line of those posted on glassdoor (TCP vs UDP, explain how DNS works, horizontal vs verticle scaling, relational vs NoSQL DB pros/cons, CDN, how to make an application redundant, etc

Interview Question – Did not really have any difficult questions. Was asked about developing large scale solutions (in this case, large scale was greater than a few thousand users which doesn't really seem large scale). Discussed a past project experience.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in December 2013.

Interview Details – Got the interview through a college career fair. Two back-to-back phone interviews with different people, each one 45 minutes.Both interviews were technical and required coding online. About 2 weeks after the phone interviews, I got an email from the recruiter extending an offer. They gave me about 2 weeks to respond to the official offer.

Interview Question – -Write a method to convert an integer into a roman numeral string
-Design a class for a deck of cards
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon Web Services in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted through LinkedIn by the AWS Mobile division, as I had stated in my profile that I had been developing SDKs for mobile applications. The whole process lasted two months and Amazon HR were extremely helpful and straightforward throughout.

The first steps were a couple of Skype interviews and a CV profiling, which took a week. After that, they announced they were going on a recruiting trip to Barcelona, in the same dates as the Mobile World Congress. They offered to pay for all expenses, including plane, taxi and hotel, so I could make it to Barcelona for the personal interviews.

Personal interviews were at the same time interesting and puzzling. They set up shop in a touristic apartment building, and interviewed 4 candidates each morning. Each candidate was shown a room and stayed there while the interviewers were rotating. Interview slasted one hour and were half technical (simple problem resolution) and half personal (predefined questions and general chatting). The technical part was quite easy: pen and paper exercises writing algorightms for tree traversing, sorting, parsing HTML, and such. Interviewers were specially interested in knowing the order of magnitude of my solutions and if I could devise some ways to optimize them without the limitations of a pen and paper test.

On the other hand, the personal questions were a stopper. For starters, the interviewers were developers just like me, not HR people and not even managers. They weren't used to asking those kind of questions and it showed, as they were unable to get the conversation going if I stumbled finding an answer or simply understanding the question. That was a bummer, because once we put aside the standard questions and started chatting about what they did in Amazon, and more technical details, it was really fun and interesting. Personal questions didn't allow me to speak about myself in a freely manner, so I had to use those 15 minutes between interviews to pass along some tips about my strong points.

The standard personal questions they had to ask (and write down the answers, as they really didn't have the means, nor the interest of expanding on them) were all of the kind: "Tell me about a past experience where you... resolved a conflict with a teammate | provided value for a client | had to deal with a deadline you couldn't meet ...". Those questions were really exhausting, because I had first to understand what they were really asking and what kind of answer was expected. Then, to navigate through my memory to find a suitable experience to tell. And finally, translate it to comprehensible terms, which in the case of a developer often implies a lot of technical context sure to be lost in the transcription. Worst of all, there wasn't any of the more usual questions like "things you do well, things you must improve, what do you want to do in the future, etc." that you may have rehearsed.

I was told I would receive an answer after a week, but I didn't. I kept asking by e-mail each week, and always told I was still in the process and a decision had not been made yet. After more than three weeks I was finally told the positions had been covered by other candidates. I reckon I was being kept as a replacement in case some of them didn't accept their offer.

Interview Question – I was asked to elaborate about an example of my technical creativity: present the problem to the interviewer and delineate the solution in quite a detailed way.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon Web Services

Worked for Amazon Web Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon Web Services interview questions and advice. All 188 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon Web Services employees and interview candidates.