Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Two rounds of telephone interviews, one with a peer, the second was with the hiring manager. The first interview was very cordial, friendly, and the questions were very broad and open ended. Not anything like the horror stories you might find here or elsewhere. The second phone interview was more pointed, the questions were very direct, and a lot of requests for elaboration.

Interview Question – All the questions seemed pretty straight forward. I didn't make it to the in person interview, which is where I suppose the hardball begins.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Amazon is driven by metrics, and interviews are designed to analyze how well you describe inputs and outputs. Questions will revolve around their leadership principles (which are public on their website). You'll go through an interview "loop", where you'll interview with several people from the proposed team. Typically, the people in your work group will be fairly easy to deal with, and are simply trying to get you to answer the specific leadership principle they are assigned to. Every once in a while, you'll get someone who's trying to be an arse for some reason, but if you know your resume backwards and forwards, and can pinpoint which principal they are shooting for, you should be fine. You'll finally meet with a director - who will be from another work group in order to avoid bias. The interviews don't have to be in order, though. The director was the second person I interviewed with in the morning, followed by two more in the afternoon. After the interviews, the group will meet to discuss whether you'll be a good fit. Ultimately, the director has the ability to trump the others, which happens all too often. They really want to see that you went above and beyond in your previous positions to make processes more efficient, that you have taken the initiative in the past, and that you will push hard for what you believe in (within reason and without hurting the group dynamic). In my interview, the director asked about evaluating the effectiveness of my time as a "Big Brother", through BBBS - which he found on my LinkedIn page. Pretty shady, in my opinion, but just be prepared to answer "analytically", anything that you list publicly (although I'm sure social media does not count). People WILL look at your Facebook page to get an idea of what you're about, so make sure to clean that up if you're serious about getting a job with Amazon (or anywhere else, for that matter).

It can be an intimidating process, but just pretend that the stuff you've done in the past is the most AMAZING thing ever, and you'll be set. Embellishment will be useful for you, and if you don't have numbers available to support your answers, simply make them up. For instance, "I helped develop a process that saved $150k over a 3 month span by doing 'x' and 'y'. Even if that didn't happen.

The interview questions are pretty generic "tell me about a time" nonsense, so probably nothing too surprising.

Interview Question – In my interview, the director asked about evaluating the effectiveness of my time as a "Big Brother", through BBBS - which he found on my LinkedIn page. Pretty shady, in my opinion, but just be prepared to answer "analytically", anything that you list publicly (although I'm sure social media does not count).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Most people I know were able to negotiate salary, bonus, and/or stock options in one way or the other. If you don't require a relocation package, you can work that into the negotiation for more of the 3 options above. And if you'd rather get a higher bonus, maybe you can take a step down a little on salary, or vice-versa.

My recruiter is renowned for being a real witch, and we rubbed each other the wrong way. As a result, I didn't get a chance to negotiate with her - she actually insinuated that she was willing to pull the offer because she didn't think I'd be happy there at a lower position than I wanted (which is true).

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – 2 phone screens then an onsite 6 person loop plus presentation

Interview Question – How will you attack your territory in order to produce results right away?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position in a newer branch of Amazon in the spring. I was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone interview for another recruiter. This first interview was brief, and it was very clear that this conversation was just to check to make sure that my skills and past experiences would translate over. I passed the first recruiter interview, then was scheduled for another phone interview with one of the team leads for the Account Managers. Finally, I had a third interview with someone from HR. They spoke with me about salary requirements and the like. Although we were relocating due to my husband's employment anyway, they made it VERY clear in every interview that the position would not be eligible for relocation costs. (All 3 interviewers brought it up.)

I was scheduled for an in-person interview with 4 individuals with 4 other candidates (there were 3 positions posted online). It's my understanding that these 3 interviewers were different heads of departments for the AM teams, the fourth was HR again (the same gentleman I spoke with on the phone). My AM interviews all covered the same questions regarding qualifications, online market place experience, dealing with vendor relations, and customer support. We also looked over different online ads to identify which ads would be products that Amazon would promote and what verbiage looked correct.

Overall, it was a very positive experience, albeit arduous. Overall, between the recruiter interviews/followup, HR Interviews, and AM interviews, I had 10 interviews with them for the position. Ultimately, I was not offered the job, but all three positions were re-posted the following day, leading me to believe that none of us made it through the interview process. When I contacted the recruiter to follow up, and basically informed her I was still interested in the position, she wished me the best of luck and let me know that they were going in a different direction.

The recruiter, HR, and the AM Manager were all very helpful and as informative as they could be in an interview. While I was disappointed to not get the job, it was a very positive experience.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was going over the ads and identifying which products/services that Amazon would promote. While I spent time going over ads before my interview, I didn't really feel prepared to identify which products would/would not be accepted.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2010.

Interview Details – A very thorough process where 7 people interview you in detail against the job duties and very less technical questions.

Interview Question – How would you forecast demand and price a service which is new and does not have any history.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Account Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – not easy. lots of stress questions - based on your experience in the past, e-commerce, how you have failed on a project

Interview Question – there was a question on deliverables - if you had to chose 1 out of 3 which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Went through 3 phone interviews with the last one being hiring manager. They ended up booking my flight and hotel, but 18 hours later, I get a call in the AM saying they decided to put the position on "hold". Argg!

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral and situational type questions, as well as past experience   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – 2 Phone screens and onsite loop. Some people were great, others lacked personality. Recruiter was very helpful. This was for a non-technical role, so I did not face any puzzles etc. Bar raiser was easy to identify. I was extremely qualified, so I suspect I did not meet their "cultural" fit.

Interview Question – "Give me a time when...."   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – 3 separate full days of interviews by anyone and everyone HR could get thier hands on. Additional 4 separate phone interviews and a written assignment.

Interview Question – How would you fire an under performing employee. Why are you asking me this when HR is a great reference for any type of employee issue   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – HUGE pay increase for me but title demotion and the reviews on glassdoor.com spelled out a culture that I did not want to be a part of. FIND A LIFE, NOT A JOB.

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews
1 on site interview day with 6 different people

Overall the experience was what I expected for a company of this size:
1. Slow communications between steps
2. Nice accommodations for an out of town interviewee
3. A day of "tell me how you handled this situation" and "what metrics would you use to monitor this process/goal/effect, etc", "how would you handle XX"

I was impressed by:
1. Amount of customer focus and metrics questions - seemed to drive home that they are all about their customers and using objective data to make decisions
2. Emphasis on creating, not just doing same ole same ole

I was underwhelmed by:
1. Enthusiasm of the people i interviewed with - no one seemed happy about working there
2. Lack of detail about the position & department. It could have been because the interviewers did not leave much time for me to ask questions I had.
3. Feedback from the general population in the area about this company - I spoke with a few people about my opportunity. Every one of them gave me "the face" - raised eyebrows with a half frown, then proceeded to give details of bad experiences they had or their friends had working there: every man for themselves, long hours, watch your back, or some such remark - a lot of turn over was the underlying theme with a lot of "oh, well good luck with that".

Hard work does not turn me off - I thrive in environments like that. Not feeling happy / satisfied about working hard does. If even one person I interviewed with or community member said something positive about the place I might have been disappointed about not getting an offer.

Advice for a future candidate:
1. focus answers on metrics and problem solving processes
2. Inject your questions as much as you can while answering their questions

Interview Question – To keep with my nda i decline to enter specific questions i was asked.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.