Amazon.com Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager. Next a phone call with someone on the team ( which they said was just a "day in the life of the job" but turned into a behavioral interview ) Brought onsite for 9am to 2pm interview schedule. 45 min PowerPoint presentation in front of 7 people involved. Very robotic, very cold, interrogation type of interviews. Can't ask any personal questions, and they don't care about you as a person just as long as you meet their 14 leadership principles. Shuffled from one person to the next like you are on an assembly line. If you don't get an offer they send you an automated, generic email and will not tell you what you did well or failed at.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when, etc.... Ask you the same question 3 different ways   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial interview with a recruiter. After the first phone "screening", they had me do a case study that was due within 2 days. After submission, they notified me the following week to say that they would like to move forward with the first interview. I was hoping that the interview would be based on sales strategies, as I was applying for an Account Manger position, but they were all behavioral questions. I absolutely despise these questions, because I would think that they would want to know how I think, instead of if I can come up with cheesy answers about how I "saved the day". These questions are pointless to me.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very fast process from initial resume submission to final determination. Several email questions with the internal recruiter followed by an hour long phone interview with hiring manager. This led to onsite interviews. The onsite was all day -- with a slate of 45 minutes interviews. There was not a lot of interaction, just mostly them asking questions but not engaging. This was very difficult, as many sales people utilize the feedback to drive conversations.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of behavioral and situational questions. Also, required to give a presentation to a team of folks.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Interview

Had an hour long phone call. Interviewer seemed distracted and needed me to repeat my answers. Most of the questions were related to my resume, the last fifteen minutes was spent going through what seemed like a list of general questions. We had a verbal NDA regarding the questions. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Describe from experience how you would go about voicing a disagreement towards a group idea.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Interview

You get an email saying you got a phone interview. You set a date and time. You interview over the phone (usually for about an hour). Then go on to the next phone interview. Then in-person interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Series of challenging interviews with very specific questions which did not outwardly apply to the position being applied for. Many questions based on your drive and how you deal with specific questions and your philosophies.

Account Manager Interview

Interview

Two rounds of telephone interviews, one with a peer, the second was with the hiring manager. The first interview was very cordial, friendly, and the questions were very broad and open ended. Not anything like the horror stories you might find here or elsewhere. The second phone interview was more pointed, the questions were very direct, and a lot of requests for elaboration.

Interview Questions

• All the questions seemed pretty straight forward. I didn't make it to the in person interview, which is where I suppose the hardball begins.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

Amazon is driven by metrics, and interviews are designed to analyze how well you describe inputs and outputs. Questions will revolve around their leadership principles (which are public on their website). You'll go through an interview "loop", where you'll interview with several people from the proposed team. Typically, the people in your work group will be fairly easy to deal with, and are simply trying to get you to answer the specific leadership principle they are assigned to. Every once in a while, you'll get someone who's trying to be an arse for some reason, but if you know your resume backwards and forwards, and can pinpoint which principal they are shooting for, you should be fine. You'll finally meet with a director - who will be from another work group in order to avoid bias. The interviews don't have to be in order, though. The director was the second person I interviewed with in the morning, followed by two more in the afternoon. After the interviews, the group will meet to discuss whether you'll be a good fit. Ultimately, the director has the ability to trump the others, which happens all too often. They really want to see that you went above and beyond in your previous positions to make processes more efficient, that you have taken the initiative in the past, and that you will push hard for what you believe in (within reason and without hurting the group dynamic). In my interview, the director asked about evaluating the effectiveness of my time as a "Big Brother", through BBBS - which he found on my LinkedIn page. Pretty shady, in my opinion, but just be prepared to answer "analytically", anything that you list publicly (although I'm sure social media does not count). People WILL look at your Facebook page to get an idea of what you're about, so make sure to clean that up if you're serious about getting a job with Amazon (or anywhere else, for that matter). It can be an intimidating process, but just pretend that the stuff you've done in the past is the most AMAZING thing ever, and you'll be set. Embellishment will be useful for you, and if you don't have numbers available to support your answers, simply make them up. For instance, "I helped develop a process that saved $150k over a 3 month span by doing 'x' and 'y'. Even if that didn't happen. The interview questions are pretty generic "tell me about a time" nonsense, so probably nothing too surprising.

Interview Questions

• In my interview, the director asked about evaluating the effectiveness of my time as a "Big Brother", through BBBS - which he found on my LinkedIn page. Pretty shady, in my opinion, but just be prepared to answer "analytically", anything that you list publicly (although I'm sure social media does not count).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Most people I know were able to negotiate salary, bonus, and/or stock options in one way or the other. If you don't require a relocation package, you can work that into the negotiation for more of the 3 options above. And if you'd rather get a higher bonus, maybe you can take a step down a little on salary, or vice-versa. My recruiter is renowned for being a real witch, and we rubbed each other the wrong way. As a result, I didn't get a chance to negotiate with her - she actually insinuated that she was willing to pull the offer because she didn't think I'd be happy there at a lower position than I wanted (which is true).

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I interviewed for a position in a newer branch of Amazon in the spring. I was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone interview for another recruiter. This first interview was brief, and it was very clear that this conversation was just to check to make sure that my skills and past experiences would translate over. I passed the first recruiter interview, then was scheduled for another phone interview with one of the team leads for the Account Managers. Finally, I had a third interview with someone from HR. They spoke with me about salary requirements and the like. Although we were relocating due to my husband's employment anyway, they made it VERY clear in every interview that the position would not be eligible for relocation costs. (All 3 interviewers brought it up.) I was scheduled for an in-person interview with 4 individuals with 4 other candidates (there were 3 positions posted online). It's my understanding that these 3 interviewers were different heads of departments for the AM teams, the fourth was HR again (the same gentleman I spoke with on the phone). My AM interviews all covered the same questions regarding qualifications, online market place experience, dealing with vendor relations, and customer support. We also looked over different online ads to identify which ads would be products that Amazon would promote and what verbiage looked correct. Overall, it was a very positive experience, albeit arduous. Overall, between the recruiter interviews/followup, HR Interviews, and AM interviews, I had 10 interviews with them for the position. Ultimately, I was not offered the job, but all three positions were re-posted the following day, leading me to believe that none of us made it through the interview process. When I contacted the recruiter to follow up, and basically informed her I was still interested in the position, she wished me the best of luck and let me know that they were going in a different direction. The recruiter, HR, and the AM Manager were all very helpful and as informative as they could be in an interview. While I was disappointed to not get the job, it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was going over the ads and identifying which products/services that Amazon would promote. While I spent time going over ads before my interview, I didn't really feel prepared to identify which products would/would not be accepted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

Be prepared for a very bizarre interview. They will ask you many form questions, with no real connection or proper communication. I met with 5 people on the team, one of which who was possible the meanest person I have ever met and seemed to have absolutely no interest in being there.

Interview Questions

• While I was interviewing for a post sales position, many questions were about sales specifically. I think the most unexpected question though, was when I was asked to describe something technical that had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question

I had heard Amazon had a habit of overworking employees, and I had better offers. I was also VERY put off by the final interviewer's attitude and how dismissive they were.